Saturday, January 14, 2017

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1702

Dear Readers,

another week gone. I must admit this will be a shorter issue because I did not find many interesting things to share.
Gaming wise the new upcoming Nintendo console dominated most of the gaming sites. Honestly I do not have any interest in this new console because I'm not a mobile gamer.
Book wise I'm in the mood  to complete series (means just to get the books) but off course I do not forget to have a look a new books.



ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
  2. The book bag
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Books bought recently
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Early years of moving films
  2. Victorian Mustaches

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Horizon: Zero Dawn

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to intelligence

The Lighthouse
I finished one book from my book bag and a longer short story. Beside that I continued reading two of my current reads.



I finished

- Alexander von Humboldt und die Erfindung derNatur (hc, 11. Oktober 2016) [ISBN-13:  978-3570102060]  von  Andrea Wulf.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Ich lese selten Biographien und Bücher mit wissenschaftlichem Anspruch. Doch ich bin sehr froh, dass ich dieses so überaus informative und exzellente Werk gelesen habe.

Ich war mir nicht bewußt, wie groß der Einfluss von Alexander von Humboldt gewesen ist. Es ist für uns kaum vorstellbar wie zu einer Zeit ohne moderne Kommunikationsmittel so ein reger Austausch von Gedanken, Theorien, Reise- und Forschungsberichte über Ländergrenzen funktioniert hat.


I rarely read biographies and books with a scientific claim. But I am very glad that I have read this very informative and excellent work.

I was not aware of the influence of Alexander von Humboldt. It is hardly conceivable for us as that at a time without modern means of communication such a lively exchange of thoughts, theories, travel and research reports on country boundaries has worked."


- Vor der Finsternis (digital, 9th January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B01N2STS3F] by Torreck Ulf
Takes place in Paris 1797 where and eerie killer frighten the inhabitants ...
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Das Buch fing gut an aber dann versank es in endloser und fruchtloser Polizeiarbeit. Man hatt das Gefühl, dass die Geschicht auf der Stelle tritt. Der Schreibstil ist nicht schlecht aber die Entwicklung der Geschichte ist zäh.

Ich habe dieses kurze Werk gelesen um zu entscheiden, ob ich den im Februar 2017 erscheinenden Historischen Thriller Fest der Finsternis lesen möchte. Nach der Lektüre von "Vor der Finsternis" lautet meine Antwort: Nein.

Ich gebe drei wohlwollende Sterne."


Current read

Yes, I'm reading real books.

- I'm on page 264  in The Fell Sword (pb, October 2014) [ISBN: 978-0575113343] by Miles Cameron which is the second book in Miles Cameron's  The Traitor Son Cycle.
Most of the chapters show the length of a short story. It really depend on the book whether I like long chapters or not. In case of this boo I like it.
There is a lot going on



My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 16 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
No progress


-  54% in Holy Island (digital, 1st January 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by L.J. Ross.
I have a suspect ...



The Book Bag
This is my reading project for 2017 which has been inspired by  receiving of a digital copy of  The Heart of What Was Lost: A Novel Of Osten Ard (digital, 3rd January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Tad Williams.

My project has had a good start with finishing one book and continuing a second one.




Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


I can't remember that I bought four books written by one author within a few days. To be precise I ordered a copy of one books in advance.
Most interesting fact is that two books at a time belong to series.

Let me start with author. You may know Andrew Mayne because he is also a successful magician.
The following four books are not the only ones written by this author but these are the ones I'm interested in and there was/is a cheap offer.

I can't tell you anything about these books except the following information because I did not read them.


Let me start with the crime fiction series  Jessica Blackwood. Two books are available and the third one will be published in march. Ratings for both books are not bad.

Angel Killer ( digital, 15th July 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B010KNF6CS] by Andrew Mayne.
"Meet Jessica Blackwood, FBI Agent and ex-illusionist.

Called in because of her past to offer expertise on the mysterious 'Warlock' case, Jessica must put all her unique knowledge to the test as they try to catch a ruthless killer.

Needing to solve the unsolvable, and with the clock ticking, they're banking on her being the only one able to see beyond the Warlock's illusions.

The first in a brilliant new series, Angel Killer will have you feverishly turning the pages, and in Jessica Blackwood, Mayne has created a complex, sassy and unforgettable new heroine." [Source]


Name of the Devil ( digital, this edition 15th July 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B010KNF6PK] by Andrew Mayne.
"In this electrifying sequel to Angel Killer, magician turned FBI agent Jessica Blackwood must channel her past to catch a killer consumed by a desire for revenge.

When a church combusts in rural Appalachia, the bizarre trail of carnage suggests diabolical forces are at work. Charged with explaining the inexplicable, the FBI's Dr. Ailes and Agent Knoll once again turn to the ace up their sleeve: Agent Jessica Blackwood, a former prodigy from a family dynasty of illusionists. After playing a pivotal role in the capture of the Warlock, a seemingly supernatural serial killer, Jessica can no longer ignore the world - and the skills - she left behind. Her talent and experience endow her with a knack for knowing when things are not always as they appear to be, and she soon realizes this explosion is just the first of many crimes.

As the death toll mounts, Jessica discovers the victims share a troubling secret with far-reaching implications that stretch from the hills of West Virginia to cartel-corrupted Mexico to the hallowed halls of the Vatican. Everyone involved in what happened on that horrible night so long ago has tried to bury it - except for one person, who believes that the past can be hidden but never forgiven. Can Jessica draw on her unique understanding of the power and potential of deception to thwart a murderer determined to avenge the past?" [Source]



Let me continue with the space thriller series Space Ops. The first book is available and the second one will be available on January 18th 2017 and read for pre-order.

Station Breaker ( digital, 17th February 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01BWMGT3G] by Andrew Mayne.
"If space doesn't kill David Dixon, Earth will.

Astronaut David Dixon's first mission to space goes horribly awry when a gun fight breaks out on a Russian space station. He finds himself making an emergency landing from orbit and becomes the most wanted man on Earth.

Desperate to unravel the plot he’s found himself in, he takes his pursuers on a wild chase from space to the backstreets of Rio and beyond. Dixon’s survival relies on his skills as a pilot and willingness to do whatever it takes, from crashing a passenger jet into the Mexican desert to pulling off an incredible heist in Low Earth Orbit." [Source]


Orbital: Station Breaker II ( digital, 18th January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01N7RWHZS] by Andrew Mayne.
"For astronaut David Dixon, sneaking aboard a Russian space station and stealing a nuclear bomb was the easy part – now he has to survive re-entry on an untested inflatable heat shield and then deal with the aftermath of being the most wanted man on Earth.

When a clandestine intelligence agency offers David the chance to return to space and probably not get killed – he finds himself in a world of intrigue when a secret mission takes an unexpected turn and David goes undercover on an orbiting science platform in order to track down the spymaster known as Silverback.

Orbital is a fast-paced blend of space action and mystery thriller set in the fast-emerging aerospace age." [Source]


ATTENTION !!!
You can get both books (Kindle edition, ASIN: B01BWMGT3G and ASIN: B01N7RWHZS) over at AMAZON for 0,99 EUR or 0.99 GBP or 1.05 USD depending on your country.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey  from the beehive blogosphere...


Early years of moving films
This not about the silent movies screened in the 1920s. The Virtual Victorian goes back a bit further in time. Have a look at 




Victorian Mustaches
Nowadays it is state-of-the-art to wear a beard. There has been a period of time where it was up-to-date to wear a mustache as you can see over at vintage everyday.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No movie trailer this week.
Instead I would like to share the Horizon: Zero Dawn story trailer.
I like the trailer because it calmed down my concern that there is not enough role playing content in the game.





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

In honour of J.R.R. Tolkien .....


"An intelligence test sometimes shows a man how smart he would have been not to have taken it."

Laurence J. Peter, US educator & writer, 1919 - 1988

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Shame I don't have a PS4. Just my computer.
And the infamous Edison sneeze. How far we've come.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...