Sunday, November 20, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1647

Dear Readers,

there are two reasons why I had to postpone the post. It has been a tough week and I was too tired in the evening to start preparations. Yesterday and today we have been visited by relatives and it would have been impolite to sit in front of my laptop during that time.

It is a bit ironical. I have several games which I would like to play but I'm too tired for that. I'm more than happy when I read some pages.

I have been really disappointed by book. A good cover and a promising description does not mean you get what you expect.


ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A profession long gone: Telephone Operators
  2. How to get a free audiobook - if you like to read crime fiction
  3. Animated paper

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Kong Skull Island

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to truth

The Lighthouse
I finished one book and one short story. Furthermore I continued to read one of my two "bricks". That was less than I wanted.


I finished

- The Tyrant Rises (digital, 17th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Chris Dutton.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The cover is amazing and the description is more than promising.
I picked the book and read it during the weekend.
And now I'm here and have to report what a disappointment it has been.
I found the first four chapters confusing. The following chapters also did not deliver what I expected. Furthermore the style was not my taste.
Nevertheless I read the book until the end, always hoping something will change.

I decided not to rate this book because all the disappointment is the result of my expectations and my taste."






Yes, I'm reading a real book.
- I'm on page 121  in The Fell Sword (pb, October 2014) [ISBN: 978-0575113343] by Miles Cameron which is the second book in Miles Cameron's  The Traitor Son Cycle.
No time to continue

My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 39% in The Cold Between Hanging Cage (digital, March 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ZP5WLQG] by Elizabeth Bonesteel
I needed to read something different beside the two epic fantasy bricks and a space opera was highly welcomed. I like the story with its twists and turns. The characters are interesting and I could connect easily to the main characters.

- 44% in The Heiress of Linn Hagh (digital, 9th June 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00QKUW8WM] by Karen Charlton.
Good stuff!

- 15 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
A small progress in form of 3%.

- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I like to surf while I have a break. It is often a good opportunity to discover books like the following ones.


I saw the cover, read the description, and was convinced that is exactly a book for me. I talk about  The Tyrant Rises (digital, 17th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Chris Dutton.
"The fate of Europe is in the balance.

1815. Wellington retreats from Waterloo. The Napoleonic War becomes The Rambling War.

1853. Europe is broke and France is ruled by a puppet government that answers to both Prussia & Great Britain. The embers of outright revolution are inflamed by an unknown force, with Wilhelm Stieber, the sneakiest and cleverest agent of them all, chief amongst the suspects. Who is he working for? And how can they possibly use revolution to their own ends? Who is the power behind the forces of revolution? And can it be vanquished?

William Hope finds himself in a secret technological weapons facility. The only problem is that it is run by Brocklehurst, a traitor to the nation. He is working with an arcane fiend called Rune, and it desires the Lady Amara. Brocklehurst's only option is to kill William, who must find a way to escape.

Amara is taken from her home and enslaved to imbue an automaton army with the souls of the dead. The automata are virtually indestructible, and anyone owning them may just own Europe. She may hold the key to defeating them. After all, she did enable their creation. But what can a slave girl do?

William and Amara must team up - with Brocklehurst's valet, Bob - to identify and defeat the threat to Europe.

The first book in an alternate European history tale; a thought provoking, white-knuckle ride that expands to encompass the whole of Europe." [Source]

I always look for interesting space operas and technothrillers. When the description is interesting and furthermore it is a cheap offer then often I can't withstand to buy a digital copy. It happened with the following book.
Freefall (digital, 15th November 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B01M683QKZ] by Felix R Savage which  is the first book in the new Earth's Last Gambit series.
"An alien ship is orbiting Europa. A handful of astronauts must confront the threat, alone.

Despite NASA budget cuts threating to put a sharp end to his career as an astronaut, British-born space shuttle pilot Jack Kildare knows without a doubt that his life will never be the same. Photographs snapped from the International Space Station reveal an alien spaceship in orbit around Europa, opening a terrifying new chapter in human history, and Jack finds himself in the center of a gigantic international effort to respond to the alien threat.

But when he is dismissed from NASA over a trumped-up security gaffe, Jack and his close friend Oliver Meeks combine their skills in an attempt to generate an innovative new development: a spaceship drive based on their observations of the alien craft's technology.

With the unknown threat driving international competition and the entire planet's spaceflight resources thrown into the fray, the focus of attention turns toward one single goal… a ship capable of traveling to Jupiter to confront the alien menace… the Spirit of Destiny. Amid unknown entities pushing to destroy the project from the inside out, and enemies baying for blood, Jack finds himself submerged in a world of secrets, sabotage attempts and cold-blooded murder.

Can Jack decode the secrets surrounding the arrival of the alien spaceship in our solar system? Or will his dreams of the ultimate space adventure be taken into the ashes with the Spirit of Destiny?


ABOUT FREEFALL: Freefall is the first book of a fast-paced trilogy of technothrillers. It contains hard science fiction elements in the tradition of The Martian and other science-based thrillers. You won't need a calculator to follow the story, but if you'd like to build a spaceship to the Spirit of Destiny's specifications, it really will take you to Jupiter! ($300 billion budget not included.)

Shiplord, the second book in the Earth's Last Gambit Trilogy, will be published soon." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


A profession long gone: Telephone Operators
I think the smart phone generation can't imagine a time when you needed a telephone operators. Vintage Everyday shows photographs from a time long forgotten. Did you know the telephone operator was profession practiced by women. Have a look at



How to get a free audiobook - if you like to read crime fiction
So you like crime fiction and you enjoy audiobooks which I can't because they are like sleeping pills for me then you should visit following link and decide if the offer is something for you or not.
I read  Shallow Waters (digital, 20th April 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00R9Q4CUM] by Rebecca Bradley which is the first book in the x series.
I rated it with four stars and wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is the debut crime novel by Rebecca Bradley.

It is a dark and gripping tale starring DI Hannah Robbins who has a personal relationship with Ethan, a news reporter. This gives the story more depths. There are twists and turns but there parts which are too predictable."





Animated paper
There are so many different things which you can do with paper. Head  over to WebUrbanist and enjoy





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

More and more trailers for films which will hit cinemas in 2017 are popping up. Today I decided to share a trailer which shows something really big. Seems to be an entertaining film.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

We live in a time where truth is getting more and more important. The problem is to identify the truth .....


"Say not, 'I have found the truth,' but rather, 'I have found a truth.'"

Kahlil Gibran, Lebanese poet and artist, 1883 - 1931

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Edi! On holiday vacation this week but had to stop by.
Sorry Tyrant Rises was such a disappointment.
Skull Island looks amazing. I'll take a King Kong movie anytime. Unless he's fighting Godzilla. Because sorry, giant lizard with radioactive breath beats hairy ape every time.
Hope you have a good week!

ediFanoB said...

Hey Alex!
Thanks a lot for stopping by during your vacation. I hope you and your wife have good time.
I think disappointment belongs to reading.

The end of the week was not funny for me. I will explain in my post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...