Saturday, November 12, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1646

Dear Readers,

at least I found time to create my new character in Skyrim Special Edition for PS4. The number of mods increased rapidly. This November I'm really tired and I lack enthusiasm and energy.

Nevertheless I took my time to follow the election in USA and the reactions. Of course it looks different from the other site of the pond. I have been impressed by posts from authors, book blogger, game sites, and more. I follow a lot of blogs and most of the time you do not see any political statements over there. It changed after the election for from my point of view more than understandable reason.
This election has also an impact on Europe. This is grist to the mill of parties like the Front National in France. There are elections in several European countries in 2017 .... I'm afraid of hate, racism, and violence.

Why are so many people acting without any common sense?



ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. LEGO in Rome
  2. Selfies from 1920
  3. Mobile phone expectations
  4. Digging into the past
  5. Victorian Tattooed Ladies 
  6. Supermoon

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote containing moon

The Lighthouse
I finished one book and one short story. Furthermore I continued to read one of my two "bricks". That was less than I wanted.


I finished

- CassaDawn (digital, 6th December 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M8JNF3Y ] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.
For now I can tell you that I liked it a lot. My review wil be available on December 6th.

- For Reasons Unknown (digital, 1st October 2015)  [Kindle edition ASIN: B010L6dL3NK] by Michael Wood.
 I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Since my love to read crime fiction returned, I discovered amazing authors like Ed James, Harry Bingham, Stuart MacBride, James Oswald, Rebecca Bradley, and not to forget Ian Rankin.
So far I did not read all their books but the ones I read gave me a great time.

Nevertheless I'm open-minded to discover authors who are new to me. I know for certain that there are more gems waiting for me.
One I discovered end of October 2016 and it has blown me away!!
What an impressive debut novel "For Reason Unknown is!
I finished the book a few days ago and still the story reverberate in my mind. The story has been intense immensely supported by the in depth haracterisation of acting persons. It was like looking directly into the soul of people. It has been fascinating and at the same time disturbing to read how psychologically damaged people cope with their life and what a great impact it had on the life of involved people leading to partial demolition of police pprocedurals.

I look forward to meet Matilda Darke and her team again. "


Yes, I'm reading a real book.
- I'm on page 121  in The Fell Sword (pb, October 2014) [ISBN: 978-0575113343] by Miles Cameron which is the second book in Miles Cameron's  The Traitor Son Cycle.
No time to continue

My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 12 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
Still enjoy the story told by different characters.

- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I received copies of two books which I ordered in advance and I bought a digital copy.

Last week I received a paperback copy of the fourth book in Miles Cameron's  The Traitor Son Cycle and it won't be the last and final one ....
The Plague of Swords (pb, October 2016) [ISBN: 978-0316302425] by Miles Cameron.
"One enemy has fallen ... a greater one remains ... now it's war The Red Knight withstood the full might of his enemy and won the day. In a victory which will be remembered through the ages, he brought disparate factions together and turned them into allies against a more powerful foe than they had ever seen. Now, he will need his allies more than ever. Because behind one adversary hid another--one with allies of their own--whose goal was never to destroy Alba, but to distract the Kingdom while achieving his true aim. And whatever it is, it's probably not in the Red Knight's interest. With one army defeated, now the Red Knight must fight again--and for every one of his allies there is a corresponding enemy. Spread out in different lands, and on sea, it will all come down to one last gamble. And to whether or not the Red Knight has guessed their foe's true intentions. With each throw of the dice, everything could be lost." [Source]


So far I did not read the first book in the Central Corps series. While writing these lines I feel a temptation to stop and open my digital copy of 
The Cold Between Hanging Cage (digital, March 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ZP5WLQG] by Elizabeth Bonesteel but I finally resisted and present you instead the sequel.
Remnants of Trust (digital, 8th November 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01BSJO4US] by Elizabeth Bonesteel
"Six weeks ago, Commander Elena Shaw and Captain Greg Foster were court-martialed for their role in an event Central Gov denies ever happened. Yet instead of a dishonorable discharge or time in a military prison, Shaw and Foster and are now back together on Galileo. As punishment, they’ve been assigned to patrol the nearly empty space of the Third Sector.

But their mundane mission quickly turns treacherous when the Galileo picks up a distress call: Exeter, a sister ship, is under attack from raiders. A PSI generation ship—the same one that recently broke off negotiations with Foster—is also in the sector and joins in the desperate battle that leaves ninety-seven of Exeter’s crew dead.

An investigation of the disaster points to sabotage. And Exeter is only the beginning. When the PSI ship and Galileo suffer their own “accidents,” it becomes clear that someone is willing to set off a war in the Third Sector to keep their secrets, and the clues point to the highest echelons of power . . . and deep into Shaw’s past." [Source]


810 pages, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, for 1,59 EUR (= 1,73 USD, = 1.38 GBP). I did not need more arguments to convince myself to get
a digital copy of Rogues (digital, August 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00N01TMFA] edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
"A thrilling collection of twenty-one original stories by an all-star list of contributors including a new A Game of Thrones story by George R. R. Martin! If you’re a fan of fiction that is more than just black and white, this latest story collection from #1 New York Times bestselling author George R. R. Martin and award-winning editor Gardner Dozois is filled with subtle shades of gray. Twenty-one all-original stories, by an all-star list of contributors, will delight and astonish you in equal measure with their cunning twists and dazzling reversals. And George R. R. Martin himself offers a brand-new A Game of Thrones tale chronicling one of the biggest rogues in the entire history of Ice and Fire. Follow along with the likes of Gillian Flynn, Joe Abercrombie, Neil Gaiman, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Cherie Priest, Garth Nix, and Connie Willis, as well as other masters of literary sleight-of-hand, in this rogues gallery of stories that will plunder your heartand yet leave you all the richer for it. Featuring all-new stories by Joe Abercrombie, Daniel Abraham, David W. Ball, Paul Cornell, Bradley Denton, Phyllis Eisenstein, Gillian Flynn, Neil Gaiman, Matthew Hughes, Joe R. Lansdale, Scott Lynch, Garth Nix, Cherie Priest, Patrick Rothfuss, Steven Saylor, Michael Swanwick, Lisa Tuttle, Carrie Vaughn, Walter Jon Williams, Connie Willis" [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

LEGO in Rome
No, the Vatican has not been rebuilt by using LEGO. Head  over to WebUrbanist and see what you can find in the streets of Rome ....



Selfies from 1920
You may think this is a joke. No, it is not.  Visit boingboing and be astonished by



Mobile phone expectations
Younger generations can't believe that there has been a time without mobile. I grew up without but I liked the photographs which showed the expectations of other people. Vintage Everyday shows you what people like me could see in their youth



Digging into the past
Come and have a look what they found beneath London. IanVisits present



Victorian Tattooed Ladies
They definitely existed. There is an enlightening and entertaining post covering this topic over at The History Girls




Supermoon
What does it mean? Do we have more than one?. It is an event. The last time it happened fourteen years before my birth on January 26, 1948. I'm not sure if i will be still alive or even able to recognize it when it happens again on November 25, 2034. Therefore I hope the weather condition will be good enough to enjoy supermoon on November 14, 2016. You will find all you need to know about supermoon over at EarthSky in the post



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

There are many comics made into movies. Most of them coming from DC ore Marvel Comics. But there is another one in preparation to hit the cinemas in 2017. I talk about Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets which is based on the French comic Valérian and Laureline.
This is the first teaser
My first comment: Interesting creatures .....


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

With the supermoon ahead I thought it would be a good idea, to search a quote containing moon and I found .....


"The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago, had they happened to be within reach of predatory human hands."

Havelock Ellis, English physician and writer, 1859 - 1939

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have high hopes for Valerian. It's been a while since the director visited science fiction.
Some cool books this week.
And those people posing with the phones would be shocked at the tiny devices we now use.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...