Saturday, November 05, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1645

Dear Readers,

since one week our copy of the Skyrim Special Edition for PS4 rest on a shelf. At least I found some time to install the game and my wife started the decision process which mods to install. So far I was too tired to play a single minute. arrived. Also reading progress slowed down.

Nevertheless I will do minimum two things:
- Write and publish this post
- Read and review the ARC of the upcoming short story CassaDawn (digital, 6th December 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M8JNF3Y ] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.


Everything else depends on how much sleep I will need.


ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Any coins left?
  2. Political cartoon
  3. Enjoy the work of Julien Gaulthier
  4. Real history
  5. Discoveries from above

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Historical accuracy of Master and Commander

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to tolerance

The Lighthouse
Beside the two "bricks" I'm currently reading I needed a dose of crime fiction and started a third book.  Honestly I really enjoy my three current reads and I don't confused. 

I finished

- no book


Yes, I'm reading a real book.
- I'm on page 121  in The Fell Sword (pb, October 2014) [ISBN: 978-0575113343] by Miles Cameron which is the second book in Miles Cameron's  The Traitor Son Cycle.
Glad to be back in the world of the Red Knight. A lot of things are brewing and the tense is rising.

My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 6 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
I like the story, I like the style, and there are characters I care for. Excellent stuff.


- 54 % done in  For Reasons Unknown (digital, 1st October 2015)  [Kindle edition ASIN: B010L6dL3NK] by Michael Wood.
 Seems I need a daily dose of crime fiction and this is a good one.


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I received copies of three books which I ordered in advance.

I admit it was not the cover of the following book which aroused my interest. For me this is not the expected cover for a fantasy novel. What do you think about the cover after you ave read the description?
Beside the cover the first sentence of the description nearly stopped me to order a copy of
"For fans of Patrick Rothfuss and Scott Lynch, a picaresque fantasy about a clever young beggar who bargains his way into an apprenticeship with a company of thieving magicians and uses his newfound skills in a vendetta against a ruthless crime lord.

Ashes lives in Burroughside—the dirtiest, most crime-ridden district in the huge city of Teranis. His neighbors are gangs of fellow orphans, homeless madmen, and monsters that swarm the streets at nightfall. Determined to escape Burroughside, Ashes spends his days begging, picking pockets, and cheating at cards. When he draws the wrath of Mr. Ragged, Burroughside’s brutal governor, he is forced to flee for his life, only to be rescued by an enigmatic man named Candlestick Jack.

Jack leads a group of Artificers, professional magicians who can manipulate light with their bare hands to create stunningly convincing illusions. Changing a face is as simple as changing a hat. Ashes seizes an opportunity to study magic under Jack and quickly befriends the rest of the company: Juliana, Jack’s aristocratic wife; William, his exacting business partner; and Synder, his genius apprentice. But all is not as it seems: Jack and his company lead a double life as thieves, and they want Ashes to join their next heist. Between lessons on light and illusion, Ashes begins preparing to help with Jack’s most audacious caper yet: robbing the richest and most ruthless nobleman in the city.

A dramatic adventure story full of wit, charm, and scheming rogues, The Facefaker’s Game introduces an unforgettable world you won’t soon want to leave." [Source]

I read and liked A Murder of Mages (digital, July 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00PT4J12K.] by Marshall Ryan Maresca which is the first book in the The Maradaine Constabulary series.
So it was no question that I wanted to continue reading the series. Now a copy of the second book in the series arrived.
An Import of Intrigue (digital, 1st November 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B01BK0SQEK] by Marshall Ryan Maresca 
"This second novel in the Maradaine Constabulary series blends high fantasy, murder mystery, and gritty urban magic...

The neighborhood of the Little East is a collision of cultures, languages, and traditions, hidden away in the city of Maradaine. A set of streets to be avoided or ignored. When a foreign dignitary is murdered, solving the crime falls to the most unpopular inspectors in the Maradaine Constabulary: exposed fraud Satrine Rainey, and Uncircled mage Minox Welling.

With a murder scene deliberately constructed to point blame toward the rival groups resident in this exotic section of Maradaine, Rainey is forced to confront her former life, while Welling’s ignorance of his own power threatens to consume him. And the conflicts erupting in the Little East will spark a citywide war unless the Constabulary solves the case quickly." [Source]

The last book for today is a real paperback copy. There was/is no digital copy available.
In this case the cover fits to the story. I must say that I the description convinced me to order a copy. It reminded me of the time when I read cyberpunk stories.
The Courier (pb, 1st November 2016) [ISBN-13: 978-0756412074] by Gerald Brandt is the debut novel of the author and at the same time the first book in the San Angeles series.
"A far-future science fiction debut set in San Francisco—action adventure with a cyberpunk tone.

Kris Ballard is a motorcycle courier. A nobody. Level 2 trash in a multi-level city that stretches from San Francisco to the Mexican border, where corporations make all the rules. A runaway since the age of 14, Kris struggled to set up her life, barely scraping by, working hard to make it without anyone’s help. Witnessing the murder of one of her clients changes everything. Now she’s stuck with a mysterious package that everyone seems to want.

Now the corporations want Kris gone, and are willing to go to almost any length to make it happen. Hunted, scared, and alone, she retreats to the only place she knows she can hide: the Level 1 streets. Running from people that seem to know her every move, she is rescued by Miller—a member of an underground resistance group—only to be pulled deeper into a world she doesn’t understand. They work together to stay ahead of the corporate killers, until Miller falls into their hands. Kris realizes being alone isn’t the answer, and she’s willing to do anything to get him back." [Source]
I must say I do not understand the publishing policy in case of the books by Gerald Brandt. The Courier has been published in paperback and hard cover.
Since 1st of November the second book in the San Angeles series - The Operative - is available in digital format and in hard cover.
I hope there will be a paperback edition soon. I don't like to mix digital and paperback editions.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Any coins left?
Coins are still in use. But there are intentions to get rid off them. I hope that will not happen soon because then would miss what is shown in following post over at WebUrbanist. Head over and have a look at



Political cartoon
They exist since a long time and some of them from the past still sound funny like the following one presented over at Atlas Obscura



Enjoy the work of Julien Gaulthier
For me it is always a pleasure to discover concept artists which are new to me.
I hope you will enjoy



Real history
For me it is amazing that there are still places on Earth where you can travel back in time by visiting them. There is an excellent example shown and explained over at Atlas Obscura




Discoveries from above
It is amazing what you can discover on aerial shots. Admire the surprising revelations shown over at WebUrbanist 









That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Historical accuracy of Master and Commander

I really like the YouTube channel of the History Buffs.
The video series where they discuss the history accuracy of films is excellent.

Did you ever see Master and Commander or read Master & Commander (digital 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by Patrick O'Brian?
I read the book before I saw the film. I thought the film was not bad when it comes to historical details. But of course I'm no expert. Therefore I was happy I found the following video over at the  History Buffs.
Don' start watching the video if you are in a hurry because you need 21:35 minutes to see it.  

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think the following quote fits to Red Dead Redemption ....


"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority."

Ralph Washington Sockman, senior pastor of Christ Church in New York, 1889 - 1970

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for reading CassaDawn.
The Face-Faker Game sounds interesting. Will add that one to my list.
Some of those aerial shots were incredible. Subdivisions look like hives from the air.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,

it has been a great pleasure to read CassaDawn. I liked it a lot.
For me it is the perfect appetizer for the Cassa series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...