Saturday, October 22, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1643

Dear Readers,

I'm torn between reading and video gaming in my spare time.So far I read during the week in the evening and play on the weekend if I'm not too tired.

Less than one week to go until my wife and I will get our copy of Skyrim Special Edition for PS4. So we know what we will do from 28th to 30th of October 2016.
Don't worry. There will be a new issue of the Weekend Wave on 29th of October.


 
ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Sea-monsters and submarines
  2. More sea-monsters
  3. Cures one does not want to try
  4. There is more caffeine in the world than one thinks

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  2. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote which fits to Red Dead Redemption

The Lighthouse
The result of last week is: I finished one book and two short stories. Furthermore I continued one book. All in all a good progress. 


I finished

- Late Whitsun (digital, 13th October 2016) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B01LYIXLV0] by Jasper Kent
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is the first of three planned books starring private detective Charlie Woolf. The story takes place in Brighton and the year is 1938.

Charlie Woolf is neither a new Sherlock Holmes nor an action orientated detective. Nevertheless Woolf thinks a lot and sometimes it seems he moves in a circle. But there was something which forced me to continue reading. The story contains twists and turns.

I was not sure how to rate the book. Finally I decided to give four stars.

I will definitely read the second book starring Charlie Woolf."


- Der Traum vom Fliegen: Ein Steampunk-KurzKrimi aus den Floodlands (digital, first published 12th April 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN:  B01E7Y4M30] by Nina C. Hasse.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Dieser Kurzkrimi gibt einen ersten Blick in die Welt von Remy Lafayette, Gesichtsanalytiker und Berater beim New York Floodlands Police Department und Detective Madeline Vezér im Jahr 1891. Die Personen, der Rahmen und die Handlung haben mir gefallen. Steampunk Elemente werden dezent verwendet."
My humble translation:
"This short crime gives a first glimpse into the world of Remy Lafayette, facial analyst and advisor to New York's Floodlands Police Department and Detective Madeline Vezér and takes place in 1891. I liked the characters,the setting, and the story.Steampunk elements are subtly used."


- Die Marmortreppe: Ein viktorianischer Kurz-Krimi (digital, 13th May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B00X3VVD22] by Robert C. Marley.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Ich mag die drei bisher erschienen Fälle mit Inspector Swanson.
Bei diesem Kurz-Krimi deutet nur wenig darauf hin, dass er in viktorianischer Zeit spielt. Die Geschichte plätscherte so vor sich hin bis zur Auflösung von Inspector Swanson im Kreise der Verdächtigen."

My humble translation:
"I like the three so far published cases starring Inspector Swanson.
There was not much that give a hint that this short crime story was set in Victorian era. The story dawdles along until the the presentation of the solution by Inspector Swanson surrounded by the suspects."




My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 40% in Magpie Murders (digital, 6th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01EG5HLR4 ] by Anthony Horowitz
I take my time to read and enjoy it.



- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.





Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


Last week I received digital copies of two books and one short story.

I still remember how much I enjoyed the extraordinary debut novel  The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: 
B00LUJD700] by Becky Chambers.
Therefore it was no question that a copy of   A Closed and Common Orbit (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: 
B01ARXVTFE] by Becky Chambers. was a must.
"Lovelace was once merely a ship's artificial intelligence. When she wakes up in an new body, following a total system shut-down and reboot, she has no memory of what came before. As Lovelace learns to negotiate the universe and discover who she is, she makes friends with Pepper, an excitable engineer, who's determined to help her learn and grow.

Together, Pepper and Lovey will discover that no matter how vast space is, two people can fill it together.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet introduced readers to the incredible world of Rosemary Harper, a young woman with a restless soul and secrets to keep. When she joined the crew of the Wayfarer, an intergalactic ship, she got more than she bargained for - and learned to live with, and love, her rag-tag collection of crewmates.

A Closed and Common Orbit is the stand-alone sequel to Becky Chambers' beloved debut novel The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and is perfect for fans of Firefly, Joss Whedon, Mass Effect and Star Wars." [Source]


After reading a promising review over at a German steampunk blog, I could not resist to buy copies of following short story and a novel.
Der Traum vom Fliegen: Ein Steampunk-KurzKrimi aus den Floodlands (digital, first published 12th April 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN:  B01E7Y4M30] by Nina C. Hasse.
"Eigentlich wollen Remy Lafayette und Detective Madeline Vezér einen vergnüglichen Nachmittag in Barry Bartleby's Kabinett der Wunderlichkeiten und Kuriositäten erleben, doch dann geschieht ein Unglück: Eine Artistin stürzt während ihres Auftritts ab und stirbt. Ein Unfall – oder nicht?

Bei ihren Ermittlungen in der Zirkustruppe stoßen die beiden auf zahlreiche Ungereimtheiten und einen Gegner, der ihre Nachforschungen mit allen Mitteln verhindern will." [Source]
The story takes place in 1891 which means two years before the story in following book.

Ersticktes Matt (digital, 25th July 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN:  B01J2MYUIO] by Nina C. Hasse which is the first book in the Floodlands series.
"Ein Viertel ohne Hoffnung.
Ein Mörder ohne Skrupel.

New York, 1893.

In den Floodlands, einem Elendsviertel mitten im East River, verfolgt die Polizei ein Gespenst. An jedem Tatort eine weibliche Leiche, eine Schachfigur in der Hand. Das Spiel eines Wahnsinnigen?

Für Remy Lafayette, Gesichtsanalytiker und Berater beim New York Floodlands Police Department, wird die Jagd zu einer Reise in die eigene Vergangenheit, als seine ehemalige Verlobte in den Sog der Ereignisse gerät." [Source]
I hope the book is as good as praised in the review. One more book which I will read in my first language.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Sea-monsters and submarines
There is quite a story available over at The Old Salt Blog




More sea-monsters
I must admit the story is more about an unconfirmed marine animal than about a sea-monster. Read the full story over at The Portalist



Cures one does not want to try
When you look back into the medical history you will find cures which you definitely do not want to try nowadays. Head over to Atlas Obscura and read





There is more caffeine in the world than one thinks
What do you think you will get when you visit Dark Roasted Blend and have a look at




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Goods things await us in 2017. Here are two things which I love to see and play in 2017.

Let me start with the movie. In 2017 we will accompany the Guardians of the Galaxy when they start into their second adventure. And the first trailer delivers the first quote:  "Do you need a hug?"

Rockstar Games knows to raise maximum attention with minimum effort.
So many people longing for Red Dead Redemption 2. Unfortunately we have to wait until fall 2017.  Even you may have seen the first trailer I must post it.
The trailer is shorter than I expected. The landscape is beautiful. But it says nothing about the story and the game play. I wait for more information

But before xx there will be Horizon Zero Dawn in February 2017.
Here is another video which delivers some information about the animal like machines in the game:

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think the following quote fits to Red Dead Redemption ....


"What's another word for Thesaurus?"

Emiliano Zapata, Mexican revolutionary, 1879 - 1919

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Medically, we're much safer now than back then. No stabbing, no leaches...
Very stoked for the next Guardians film, even if it's not until next summer.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
a long time to go until summer 2017. Fortunately there a some more interesting films will be shown in cinema until then.
Next one is Dr Strange.
Mwife and I will see Dr Strange on Monday 31st of October 2016.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...