Saturday, October 15, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1642

Dear Readers,

it is a matter of fact: we all grow older.
What an in depth first sentence.
Growing older has a physical and psychological impact.
Last night I fell asleep with the question what keeps me young at heart?

The answer is short but honest.

For me it is curiosity paired with the boundless lust to discover and enjoy books, songs, games, films, AND SHARE it with other people, especially with my wife.

No, I did not consume any drugs before writing this post.
It is just the result of last night. Before I went to bed I switched through the TV channels and then I spent nearly one hour watching ARTE which is a Franco-German TV network. They aired a concert of The Kills (I'm not sure if the link works outside of Europe). I never heard of The Kills before. Their music blew me away. I love it. The guitar riffs mesmerized me. Fortunately there are a lot of videos of the band available and I listened to a lot of songs before I started to write this post. The music released some hidden energy in me and put me in an excellent mood. There are five Cd's available and I will buy them one after the other.
There is one more thing which impressed me. Jamie Hince plays guitar with nine fingers since he lost use of his left middle finger in 2010.  

I need to share with you at least two songs:

The Kills - Doing It To Death

The Kills - Satellite


These are the things which let me escape the prison of daily routine.

Hope all you of you will have a great weekend.

 
ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. For ultimate fans with a lot of money
  2. A link to a link
  3. Heart-stopping action in 1927
  4. England 1900 - Moving images

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Great Wall

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote in form of a question

The Lighthouse
Reading progress is as satisfying as it can be under the circumstances of daily routine. I finished two books, continued one book, and started a new one which is pretty good for a working week.



I finished

- The One Man (digital, 22nd September 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01BGQN16Q] by Andrew Gross

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"An excellent historical thriller which was a not so easy read for me because it was painful for me to cope with the cruelties of German soldiers."

- Inspector Swanson und der magische Zirkel (digital, 13th May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B00X3VVD22] by Robert C. Marley.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Das war mein dritter Fall mit Inspector Swanson.
Das Thema Zauberei wurde sehr gut aufgegriffen und der Zeit entsprechend umgesetzt
Der Fall selbst war spannend, verwickelt und wies keine Längen auf.
Wer die vorherigen Bände gelesen hat, trifft auf alte Bekannte.

Robert C. Marley ist ein gutes Beispiel dafür, dass auch deutsche Autoren unterhaltsame und spannende viktorianische Krimis schreiben können."

My humble translation:
"This was my third Inspector Swanson case.
The subject of magic was very well taken up and implemented according to the era.
The case itself was exciting, intricate and did not show any length.
Whoever has read one of the previous volumes will meet old acquaintances.

Robert C. Marley is a good example to show that German authros can also write entertaining and exciting Victorian detective stories."


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 30% in Magpie Murders (digital, 6th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01EG5HLR4 ] by Anthony Horowitz
Atticus Pünd,  what an unforgettable name for a detective. Intriguing story so far.

- 25% in Late Whitsun (digital, 13th October 2016) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B01LYIXLV0] by Jasper Kent
It did not take long to connect to the main character Charlie Woolf.


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.





Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


Last week I received digital copies of two books which I ordered in advance. Furthermore I had the pleasure to receive an ARC.

A big thank you goes to Alex J. Cavanaugh for sending me an ARC of

I don't know how often I praised his  Cassa trilogy [Kindle ASIN: B00ZAP5PV4].
So far there was one short story which took place after the end of the trilogy.
It has been a good one as my reading impression of Dragon's Destiny shows.
I really look forward to read CassaDawn.

I was not completely satisfied after reading The Hope that Kills (digital, 1st September 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Z9ZE1WE] by Ed James. I Nevertheless I wrote that I will give the next book a try.
A few days ago I received the digital copy of Worth Killing For (digital, 11th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01CGBC70G] by Ed James
"On a busy London street, a young woman is attacked in broad daylight and left bleeding to death on the pavement. Among the eyewitnesses are DI Simon Fenchurch and his wife.

Fenchurch pursues the attacker through a warren of backstreets and eventually arrests a young hoodie with a cache of stolen phones—an ‘Apple picker’ on the make. The case should be closed but something feels off…Was this really just about a smartphone? Why did the victim look nervous before she was targeted? And why don’t the prints on the murder weapon match the young man in custody?

Before Fenchurch can probe further, his superiors remove him from the case, convinced he has let the real culprit run free. But Fenchurch is determined to get to the truth and, before long, uncovers a conspiracy that reaches high above the street gangs of London." [Source]

Did you read the Danilov Quintet series by Jasper Kent?
I read the first two books:  Twelve and Thirteen Years Later (my review).
Now the authors comes up with a brand new series which is really different compared to the Danilov Quintet.
The author wrote on his site:
"The Charlie Woolf Mysteries
Moving away from horror, the Charlie Woolf novels are a series of detective stories set in Jasper's home town of Brighton, beginning in the late 1930s. The first book in the series - Late Whitsun - will be published in October 2016, and there are two more already in the pipeline: The Stalactite Man and To Muddy Death."
I read it and was immediately intrigued. I ordered a digital copy of Late Whitsun (digital, 13th October 2016) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B01LYIXLV0] by Jasper Kent and started to read after the arrival of the copy.
"Charlie ‘Big Bad’ Woolf thought it would be easy money, and there’s precious little of that for a private detective in a seaside town. It was just a trip up to London to hand over an envelope – a favour for his old partner, Alan O’Connor. But Woolf couldn’t resist taking a peek inside.

The pictures were unadulterated smut; a man and a girl in a hotel room. Blackmail, pure and simple – right up O’Connor’s street. Woolf was happy to be rid of them, handing them over to a masked man in a London park.

When he gets home, O’Connor’s waiting for him, which is a surprise. The bigger surprise is that he’s dead; a bullet through the eye. Woolf is the prime suspect, but when he discovers that the man in the photographs is a German diplomat and the blackmail is being run by MI5, things get more complicated.

It seems obvious who killed O’Connor, but Woolf soon realizes that he’s the only one who cares. With war looming, the good of the country counts for more than the arrest of a murderer. If he’s to see the killer caught, Charlie Woolf must prove that the crime has little to do with the world of espionage…" [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


For ultimate fans with a lot of money
You are the ultimate Fallout 4 fan and you need more memorabilia? Or you just like to see more T60 Power Armour stuff?
Then visit Kotaku and have a look at 



A link to a link
Sometimes you visit a site, get a kind of appetizer and one more link to the final destination. That will happen when you head over to boingboing and have a look at



Heart-stopping action in 1927
I was dumbfounded when I read the post an watched the video over at  vintage everyday and enjoy some of them



England 1900 - Moving images
I love to look back in history and for me it is amazing how many moving images one can find on the web showing England around 1900.
Today I want to share with you two different videos from two different sources.

Recently I discovered Two Nerdy History Girls. They cover different topics. Last Friday they came up with



Sites like vintage everyday deliver a lot of moving images and a lot of them I see for the first time like the following one which is a fantastic look into a town 110 years ago.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Back in the 1990th my wife and I played the first ZELDA games and enjoyed them a lot. Even nowadays we talk about our experience. I think it would be a great pleasure to play them or something similar on a big screen an a modern console. It seems to be possible if we are willing to pay 15 Euro (= 16.50 USD; = 13.53 GBP) for Oceanhorn. Following review shows what to expect on PS4:

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Good to know that I'm not to bad when it comes to arithmetic ....


"What's another word for Thesaurus?"

Steven Wright, US actor and comedian, 1955 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope you enjoy CassaDawn!
Always cool to find new bands to enjoy.
The girl on the plane's wing is crazy. Couldn't do it today. It would be considered child abuse.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I plan to read it next week.
Yes it is and it is even better when you are a fifty something and people do not expect that you listen to such kind of bands.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...