Saturday, October 08, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1641

Dear Readers,

there is not so much time to write a post due to the fact that my wife and I attend a sewing class over at our local adult education centre from Friday to Sunday.

Nevertheless I like to show you some interesting books and a few other things.

 
ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
  2. GOODREADS reading challenge
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A book for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Electrify bikes
  2. Halloween is coming
  3. Motorized carriages
  4. Transparency

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Great Wall

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to ships

The Lighthouse
I finished three books, continued one book, and started a new one which is pretty good for a working week.



I finished

- Billy Boyle (digital, 1st September 2007) [Kindle ASIN: B004HYHAGM] by James R. Benn
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Stories with WWII settings do not belong to my reading comfort zone. But after reading the description I gave this book a try.

I must say I have been surprised in a positive way. It has been a really entertaining read and to enjoy a book is getting more and more important for me.

I like the main character Billy Boyle a lot and there is a real character development within the story. Some reviewers had issues with Billy's inner monologues. For me they fitted well. The story is a mix of detective story with a light mystery set in WWII with a proper historical background. The author does not hesitate to kill characters which are important for the story.

In case you are not interested in such kind of books you should stay away from them.
I will definitely read more Billy Boyle books."


- Die äußerst seltsame Reise des Mongomery Flagstone (digital, 1st July 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01HVA7QP8] by Ralph G. Kretschmann
A good steampunk adventure set in the future.


- The Smoke Hunter (digital, 13th September 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01C652PXQ] by Jacquelyn Benson
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The book delivered exactly what has been promised.
If you like Indiana Jones adventures then you will like "The Smoke Hunter" "


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

- 29 % done in The One Man (digital, 22nd September 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01BGQN16Q] by Andrew Gross
This a very intense book. I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you are a German and read the book. Even I was born 14 years after the end of WW II, I felt depressed by the description of what Germans did to Jews and other people.

- 3% in Magpie Murders (digital, 6th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01EG5HLR4 ] by Anthony Horowitz
Not enough read for a comment.


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.


GOODREADS reading challenge
It is the 8th of October 2016 which means there are only 84 days left until the end of the year.
Due to my book statistics I read 49 books with in sum19599 pages so far.
You may know that there is a reading challenge over at GOODREADS.
It seems I will fail my goal of 72 books.

In the past years I talked several times about such figures.
It is obvious that it takes less time to read 72 books with 100 pages each than 72 books with 1000 pages each.

That means it would be no problem for me to read 23 more books with just 100 pages each.
But that does not fit either to the books I read (so far average book length is around 400 pages) nor to the books I want to read.


I definitely will not pick books just depending on the number of pages. Instead I had a look at my book shelves and at my to buy list. Based on that I put together a list of 34 books from which I will read whatever I'm in the mood for.
The list contains some books which will be published in the next months.

Will be interesting to see how many and which books I read from the list.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


Last week I bought digital copies of two books and received two digital copies which I ordered in advance.


I'm reading more and more crime novels set in different time periods. I was hooked by the description of
Magpie Murders (digital, 6th October 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01EG5HLR4 ] by Anthony Horowitz and ordered a copy in advance.
"When editor Susan Ryeland is given the tattered manuscript of Alan Conway's latest novel, she has little idea it will change her life. She's worked with the revered crime writer for years and his detective, Atticus Pund, is renowned for solving crimes in the sleepy English villages of the 1950s. As Susan knows only too well, vintage crime sells handsomely. It's just a shame that it means dealing with an author like Alan Conway...

But Conway's latest tale of murder at Pye Hall is not quite what it seems. Yes, there are dead bodies and a host of intriguing suspects, but hidden in the pages of the manuscript there lies another story: a tale written between the very words on the page, telling of real-life jealousy, greed, ruthless ambition and murder.

From Sunday Times bestseller Anthony Horowitz comes Magpie Murders, his deliciously dark take on the vintage crime novel, brought bang- up-to-date with a fiendish modern twist." [Source]


In July 2016 I read the description of following book and could resist to order a copy in advance. With 752 pages it is not a short one. I hope the book will deliver what I expect after the intriguing description.
By Gaslight (digital, 4th October 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01CXO4W04] by Steven Price.
"London, 1885. In a city of fog and darkness, the notorious thief Edward Shade exists only as a ghost, a fabled con, a thief of other men's futures -- a man of smoke. William Pinkerton is already famous, the son of a brutal detective, when he descends into the underworld of Victorian London in pursuit of a new lead. His father died without ever tracing Shade; William, still reeling from his loss, is determined to drag the thief out of the shadows. Adam Foole is a gentleman without a past, haunted by a love affair ten years gone. When he receives a letter from his lost beloved, he returns to London in search of her; what he learns of her fate, and its connection to the man known as Shade, will force him to confront a grief he thought long-buried. What follows is a fog-enshrouded hunt through sewers, opium dens, drawing rooms, and seance halls. Above all, it is the story of the most unlikely of bonds: between William Pinkerton, the greatest detective of his age, and Adam Foole, the one man who may hold the key to finding Edward Shade.

Epic in scope, brilliantly conceived, and stunningly written, Steven Price's By Gaslight is a riveting, atmospheric portrait of two men on the brink. Moving from the diamond mines of South Africa to the battlefields of the Civil War, the novel is a journey into a cityscape of grief, trust, and its breaking, where what we share can bind us even against our darker selves." [Source]


Normally I do not read books with a WWII setting but based on the book description a bought a copy of  Billy Boyle (digital, 1st September 2007) [Kindle ASIN: B004HYHAGM] by James R. Benn
"What’s a twenty-two-year-old Irish American cop who’s never been out of Massa-chusetts before doing at Beardsley Hall, an English country house, having lunch with King Haakon of Norway? Billy Boyle himself wonders. Back home in Southie, he’d barely made detective when war was declared. Unwilling to fight—and perhaps die—for England, he was relieved when his mother wangled a job for him on the staff of a general married to her distant cousin. But the general turns out to be Dwight D. Eisenhower, whose headquarters are in London, which is undergoing the Blitz. And Uncle Ike wants Billy to be his personal investigator.

Billy is dispatched to the seat of the Norwegian government in exile. Operation Jupiter, the impending invasion of Norway, is being planned, but it is feared that there is a German spy amongst the Norwegians.

Billy doubts his own abilities, with good reason. A theft and two murders test his investigative powers, but Billy proves to be a better detective than he or anyone else expected." [Source]


I liked Inspector Swanson und der Fluch des Hope-Diamanten (digital, March 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00J4NDS3U] and Inspector Swanson und der Fall Jack the Ripper (digital, 21st May 2015) [Kindle ASIN: B00J4NDS3U]  by Robert C. Marley and therefore I did not hesitate to buy a copy of the next book starring Inspector Swanson. I look forward to read  Inspector Swanson und der magische Zirkel (digital, 13th May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B00X3VVD22] by Robert C. Marley.
"London 1894. The Great van Dyke, einer der berühmtesten Illusionisten der Welt, ist für seine gefährlichen und atemberaubenden Zauberkunststücke bekannt. Als van Dyke bei der Vorführung der spektakulären „Wasserfolter" nur knapp dem Tod entrinnt und ein weiterer Zauberkünstler bei einem misslungenen Trick im Adelphi Theater beinahe getötet wird, beginnt das Team um Chief Inspector Donald Swanson zu ermitteln.

Schnell stellt sich heraus, dass jemand die Requisiten manipuliert hat. Und Swanson ist sich sicher: Einer aus van Dykes eigenem Ensemble muss der Täter sein. Wenn er ihn nicht bald findet, geht der nächste Anschlag womöglich tödlich aus" [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Electrifying bikes
You would like to electrify your bike instead of buying a new one?
Then you should head over to WebUrbanist and have a look at



Halloween is coming
Did you know that over 100 years ago people sent each other halloween greeting cards? Visit vintage everyday and enjoy some of them



Motorized carriages
Nowadays people talk about driver less cars. These cars look very different compared to the cars which you could see before 1900. Travel back in time by visiting vintage everyday and enjoy



Transparency
Would you like to drive in a transparent car or to live in a transparent house? Before you answer you should head over to WebUrbanist and have a look at



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

The Great Wall is an upcoming American-Chinese film which looks like to be an extended and epic version of the Battle of Helms Deep. The second trailer shows more battle scenes.
I wait for the first pictures of the real enemy.Seems the enemy the


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Good to know that I'm not to bad when it comes to arithmetic ....


"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

Grace Hopper, US computer scientist and admiral, 1906 -1992

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Great Wall does look cool.
By Gaslight sounds like a good read.
Hurricane Matthew has left things a bit of a mess around here, but we're fine.
Did you get the email I sent the other day?

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,
I received your mail but I did not check my mail account due to sewing class.
Good to read that you and your wife are fine after the hurricane.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...