Sunday, August 28, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1635

Dear Readers,

again I'm back with my post on Sunday instead of Saturday. There was no time to prepare the post in the previous days.
The whole week including to today we had and have to cope with temperatures up to 35 °C (= 95 °F). It is not the first time that I tell you that this is definitely too hot for me. I get exhausted, bugged, and bad-tempered.
While writing this post I wear a headband in order to avoid sweat running into my eyes. There is no air condition in our flat.



ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. On short notice 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The history of photography
  2. Clock Whisperer
  3. Lego and Star Wars: A good combination
  4. Roswell: Bits and pieces
  5. A look into the past

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The power of paper
  2. For Fallout lovers

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to responses

The Lighthouse
Slowly but surely I work on my return to for me normal reading habits. I finished one book and continued two of my current reads.


I finished

- Bullet in the Blue Sky ( digital, 4th August  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01HN8IEWC] by Bill Larkin
I wrote on GOODREADS:
The cover reminded me of the Fallout 4 video game.

This is a well done thriller with a good mix of ingredients like an earthquake, police procedural, foreign spies, hidden military actions, rescue, survival, and emotional moments.
No, there are no zombies.

I felt well entertained by this after a slow start fast moving story interspersed with flash backs.
Be aware of the fact that there is violence and not every character you meet in the beginning will survive."


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

- 45 % done in Cowboys and Indians (digital, 31st August 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Z9ZE1WE] by Ed James.
This is sevenths and latest book in the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series.
There is a lot on the plate for Scott Cullen

- 37 % done in Love Story, With Murderers (digital, June 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00CM9CJWY] by Harry Bingham
I have high expectations after the first book.
There are again these what I call "Fiona moments". Excellent


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

There is nearly no week without a new book. But the number of books slows down by the end of a month. So there was only one digital copy which found a new home on my reader.

I really like the idea of a female private detective working in the Victorian era.
That is the reason why I could not resist to buy a digital copy of The Secrets of Wishtide ( digital, 14th July 2016)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01E0PXU66] by Kate Saunders which is at the same time the first book in the new Laetitia Rodd Mystrery series. The author is known as an author of children's books. It will be interesting to read how she will cope with the Victorian era.

"Mrs Laetitia Rodd is the impoverished widow of an Archdeacon, living modestly in Hampstead with her landlady Mrs Bentley. She is also a private detective of the utmost discretion. In winter 1850, her brother Frederick, a criminal barrister, introduces her to Sir James Calderstone, a wealthy and powerful industrialist who asks Mrs Rodd to investigate the background of an 'unsuitable' woman his son intends to marry ? a match he is determined to prevent.

In the guise of governess, she travels to the family seat, Wishtide, deep in the frozen Lincolnshire countryside, where she soon discovers that the Calderstones have more to hide than most. As their secrets unfold, the case takes an unpleasant turn when a man is found dead outside a tavern. Mrs Rodd's keen eyes and astute wits are taxed as never before in her search for the truth ? which carries her from elite drawing rooms to London's notorious inns and its steaming laundry houses.

Dickensian in its scope and characters, The Secrets of Wishtide brings nineteenth century society vividly to life and illuminates the effect of Victorian morality on women's lives. Introducing an irresistible new detective, the first book in the Laetitia Rodd Mystery series will enthral and delight." [Source]



On short notice

FOR FREE ON 27 and 28 August 2016 !!

Are you interested in Sherlock Holmes and his arch-enemy Professor James Moriarty?
Then you maybe interested in the following book:
Moriarty Meets His Match: A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery (Digital, 1st June 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B01FT2270Y] by Anna Castle which is the first book in her new The Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery Series.

"Professor James Moriarty has but one desire left in his shattered life: to prevent the man who ruined him from harming anyone else. Then he meets amber-eyed Angelina Gould and his world turns upside down.

At an exhibition of new inventions, an exploding steam engine kills a man. When Moriarty tries to figure out what happened, he comes up against Sherlock Holmes, sent to investigate by Moriarty’s old enemy. Holmes collects evidence that points at Moriarty, who realizes he must either solve the crime or swing it for it himself. He soon uncovers trouble among the board members of the engine company and its unscrupulous promoter. Moriarty tries to untangle those relationships, but everywhere he turns, he meets the alluring Angelina. She’s playing some game, but what’s her goal? And whose side is she on?

Between them, Holmes and Angelina push Moriarty to his limits -- and beyond. He’ll have to lose himself to save his life and win the woman he loves." [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


The history of photography
What answer you would get when you as ask an average user of a smart phone about the history of photography? A clever person would share the link to following video:

The History of Photography in ....... 5 Minutes


Clock Whisperer
Mechanical clocks are are amazing things. Like other stuff they need to be maintained. The older clocks are the more carefully you need to be. Meet a female clock whisperer over at Atlas Obscura:



Lego and Star Wars: A good combination
Give enthusiastic Lego and Star Wars Fans access to the bricks and then you get results like shown over at Kotaku


Roswell: Bits and pieces
After 59 years the Roswell incident is still something worth to be discussed and from time to time few new bits and pieces find their way into the discussions. If you want to know more then head over to Atlas Obscura
and read


A look into the past
I admit I like to look into the past, to see how our lived. The good thing is that nowadays so many black and white photographs have been uploaded to the net which makes it comfortable to enjoy them. Vintage everyday is an excellent source for that as the following post shows:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

The power of paper
It is incredible what you can do with paper.
Have a look at the following two videos. For me they do not look like  faked ones.






For Fallout lovers
What shall I say? If you like the Fallout game series you will like following post over at IGN:




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today I want share something to think about ....

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."

Kurt Vonnegut, American author, 1922 - 2007

4 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

These paper cut videos are awesome!

Autumn is coming so the temperature will also fall. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, never have the streets of Atlanta been so open. Now it is eight lanes both directions - and at a complete standstill.
The Star Destroyer was impressive.
Bullet in the Blue Sky. All I can think about is the U2 song.
We've been almost as hot. Really looking forward to cooler weather.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

I think I'm not the only one who cut his fingers with a sheet of paper.

It seems autumn has to wait a little bit longer. After some rain on Sunday and Monday we expect temperatures around 20 - 24 Ĉ in the next week and sunshine.
So the forecast for the first week of my holidays is not bad.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,

so you see that sometimes it is worth to look into the past in our fast changing world.
Now I look forward to my holiday ... weather forecast is not bad ... beach and books are waiting for me...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...