Sunday, August 21, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1634

Dear Readers,

I'm sorry for the delay but I had serious problems with blogger. I tried to copy some stuff with the result that my whole post was filled up with useless html code. I tried to fix but it was too time consuming and I got bugged out.
Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to postpone preparation to Sunday morning.

Things changed slightly. I found some more time for reading. But there is some light at the end of the tunnel. In two weeks time my wife and I go on holiday.

Without further ado let's have a look at a few thing which I found worth to share with you.


ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The art of stabbing
  2. A special map
  3. Victorian inventions
  4. Unusual form of protest
  5. Bead and breakfast in former times

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. No Man's Sky - Why it is lovable
  2. Nuka World

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to some and any

The Lighthouse
I'm so happy that I found time to finish a book and it has been an excellent one.


I finished

- Spiderlight ( digital 2nd August 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01ARRSVM4] by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Excellent!!

This is so much more than just and old fashioned fantasy story where a party fight against a Dark Lord.

It is a signal against xenophobia. It shows what it means to be human, It shows the danger when religion and personal aims are mixed together. It is also a book about egoism and forgiveness.

My absolutely favourite character is Nth, a being torn between two worlds."

My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

- 8 % done in Cowboys and Indians (digital, 31st August 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Z9ZE1WE] by Ed James.
This is sevenths and latest book in the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series.
No progress

- 27 % done in Love Story, With Murderers (digital, June 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00CM9CJWY] by Harry Bingham
I have high expectations after the first book.
No progress



- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I don't know if you know the feeling that you need to reward yourself with a book or two after an exhausting and stressful day.
It happens to me. Of course I always keep in mind to take care on my budget.
At least one of the three digital copies I bought as a reward.

Normally the cover of a book is not the main reason for the decision to buy a book or not. But I must admit that the cover of the following book played a certain role because it reminded me immediately of Fallout 4. Combined with the intriguing description and the good ratings over at GOODREADS I decide to get a copy of Bullet in the Blue Sky ( digital, 4th August  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01HN8IEWC] by Bill Larkin.
"In the chaotic aftermath of a massive earthquake that leveled much of the Los Angeles region, a LAPD deputy chief sends an elite team of detectives on a rescue mission. They are ordered to set aside all law enforcement duties, to ignore the destruction and to focus on one task: Find LAPD Detective Gavin Shaw, who disappeared just before the earthquake.

Kevin “Schmitty” Schmidt of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department joins five others on the rescue team. With rioting, looting, attacks and homicides rampant in the streets, the six cops have to defend themselves while chasing down leads on the whereabouts of Shaw. The mission takes them through the dizzying war zone and the more they encounter, the more they wonder why they are searching for one man in these extreme circumstances. Why is this man so important to the deputy chief, and why now?

Schmitty discovers that others with high connections are also after Shaw. The questions pile even higher when they learn of a shadowy history between Shaw and the deputy chief. A history with deadly consequences for the team as they uncover a threat that elevates the mission to a race against time." [Source]

In March 2016 I read and enjoyed Dockyard Dog (digital, 1st February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Lyle Garford. Recenly I found out that the second book in the Evan Ross series has been published. There was no question that I wanted to know how the series continues and I bought a digital copy of The Sugar Revolution (digital, 28th June 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B01HPJRLF0] by Lyle Garford.
"In 1787 when a family of rich, young French nobles are inspired by the Marquis de Lafayette to serve the cause of liberty they travel to the island of St. Lucia to promote freedom from slavery throughout the Caribbean.

The head of the family, Anton de Bellecourt, is willing to try diplomacy, but he believes it will take more than talk to achieve success. In secret he is soon distributing weapons to runaway slaves on both British and French islands, using fear of a slave revolution to force plantation owners to change.

With plantations burning and owners murdered in their beds, Commander Evan Ross and Lieutenant James Wilton are tasked with finding out who is behind the violence and ending it. But French and American spies are prowling Caribbean waters and more is at stake than Commander Ross knows. With the beautiful former slave Alice the two officers are soon in the midst of a tangled web of conflict and desperate action, as cannons blaze amid bloody struggles for freedom.

The Sugar Revolution is the second novel in the Evan Ross series. The third novel, The Sugar Sacrifice, is coming soon." [Source]

Victorian Era, mystery, series. Whenever I read these words in combination I get interested in. Therefore it has been inevitable that I stumble upon the first book in the The Blake and Avery Mystery series sooner or later.
The Strangler Vine (digital, 30th January 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00FHLBYGQ] by M.J. Carter.
"Set in the untamed wilds of nineteenth-century colonial India, a dazzling historical thriller introducing an unforgettable investigative pair.

India, 1937: William Avery is a young soldier with few prospects except rotting away in campaigns in India; Jeremiah Blake is a secret political agent gone native, a genius at languages and disguises, disenchanted with the whole ethos of British rule, but who cannot resist the challenge of an unresolved mystery. What starts as a wild goose chase for this unlikely pair—trying to track down a missing writer who lifts the lid on Calcutta society—becomes very much more sinister as Blake and Avery get sucked into the mysterious Thuggee cult and its even more ominous suppression.

There are shades of Heart of Darkness, sly references to Conan Doyle, that bring brilliantly to life the India of the 1830s with its urban squalor, glamorous princely courts and bazaars, and the ambiguous presence of the British overlords—the officers of the East India Company—who have their own predatory ambitions beyond London's oversight." [Source]
If you read the description carefully you will detect the mistake.
India, 1937:   is wrong. It must be India, 1837:

The series continues with
The Printer's Coffin (digital, 2nd June 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B018V74QSK] [Description]
and
The Devil's Feast (digital, 27th October 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B01HHJAU3S] [Description]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


The art of stabbing
Doesn't sound macabre? There has been a time when stabbing was a part of many pictures. Read the details over at BoingBoing



A special map
There are things which do not need any further explanation as they are self-explanatory like the following post over at BoingBoing



Victorian inventions
The Victorian Era has been a most inventive period of time. From useful to bizarre you can find everything. Visit  vintage everyday and enjoy




Unusual form of protest
Petitions, demonstrations, flash mobs are only a few forms of protest. In our modern world with so many information spread through all the available forms of communications make it difficult to arouse interest for a serious  matter. I must say I was impressed when I visited WebUrbanist
and saw the following post because it makes the waste of money so visible and shows a useful alternative at the same time:



Bead and breakfast in former times
Bead and breakfast has a long tradition in English history and there is an enlightening post about this topic over at English Historical Fiction Authors




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No Man's Sky - Why it is lovable
Last week I talked about No Man's Sky which is still a great game for us despite the fact that we found some things which need to be improved.
Last week I found a post which describes a lot better than I can in my humble English why the game is lovable for specific people.
Head over to IO9 and read
  

Nuka World
I must admit that I did not play Fallout 4 for a longer period of time. Nevertheless I look forward to the next and as far as I can see final DLC Nuka World. Beside the final trailer Bethesda created a map in the style of a flyer which you get at every theme park. And you can download it inPDF format for free. THIS IS THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK. Right click on the link and select Save Target As ...
It looks promising.
And this is the promising trailer.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today I want share something to think about ....

"When everyone is somebody, then no one's anybody."

W.S. Gilbert, English dramatist and librettist, 1836 -1911




2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The trailer for Nuka World was awesome!
Toilet mask. Yup, that's an odd invention.
Enjoy your upcoming holiday.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

Nuka World is still to come next week but many people started to speculate about the next Fallout game.

I reaylly look forward to my holiday because I feel exhausted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...