Sunday, August 14, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1633

Dear Readers,

to express my state of mind in a more poetically way I would say "I feel like a leaf in the wind". Life changes within minutes - more or less. Every plan is blown away forced by unexpected events or requests. This leads to an overwhelming desire to separate from the rest of the world which is not possible except while I sleep. That means I try to escape whenever I can. Normally I would use books for that. It worked well in the past. But unfortunately the effect is not as strong as it was in the past.

Thanks to my wife I found the one thing which works: No Man's Sky

Nevertheless the game was not the reason for the delay in my post. On Saturday I had to do some unexpected tasks.


ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Tabletop Terrain
  2. A ghost ship graveyard
  3. Fantasy maps
  4. Milky way reflections

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. No Man's Sky

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to household

The Lighthouse
Again I found no time to finish a book.


I finished no book


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

- 8 % done in Cowboys and Indians (digital, 31st August 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:>B00Z9ZE1WE] by Ed James.
This is sevenths and latest book in the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series.
No progress

- 27 % done in Love Story, With Murderers (digital, June 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00CM9CJWY] by Harry Bingham
I have high expectations after the first book.
No progress

- 70 % done in Spiderlight ( digital 2nd August 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01ARRSVM4] by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

If you think a fantasy story with a party fighting against the dark powers is a hackneyed subject then Spiderlight is the proof against it. 
Human beings are far too complicated. I like Nth a lot.


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Two more digital copies of books found a new home on my reader. The first is a book I wanted to read for ages and the second one is the start of a new series.

The Alienist ( first published in 1994, this digital edition 20016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B000JMKV9Y] by Caleb Carr.

"The year is 1896, the place, New York City. On a cold March night New York Times reporter John Schuyler Moore is summoned to the East River by his friend and former Harvard classmate Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, a psychologist, or "alienist." On the unfinished Williamsburg Bridge, they view the horribly mutilated body of an adolescent boy, a prostitute from one of Manhattan's infamous brothels.

The newly appointed police commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt, in a highly unorthodox move, enlists the two men in the murder investigation, counting on the reserved Kreizler's intellect and Moore's knowledge of New York's vast criminal underworld. They are joined by Sara Howard, a brave and determined woman who works as a secretary in the police department. Laboring in secret (for alienists, and the emerging discipline of psychology, are viewed by the public with skepticism at best), the unlikely team embarks on what is a revolutionary effort in criminology-- amassing a psychological profile of the man they're looking for based on the details of his crimes. Their dangerous quest takes them into the tortured past and twisted mind of a murderer who has killed before--and will kill again before the hunt is over.

Fast-paced and gripping, infused with a historian's exactitude, The Alienist conjures up the Gilded Age and its untarnished underside: verminous tenements and opulent mansions, corrupt cops and flamboyant gangsters, shining opera houses and seamy gin mills. Here is a New York during an age when questioning society's belief that all killers are born, not made, could have unexpected and mortal consequences." [Source]
I can't remember when I first discovered this book. Now I found a good offer and bought a copy immediately. I want to read it soon .... whenever that will be.



The second book is the start of a new fantasy series and the description convinced me to give it a try.
Duskfall ( digital 21st June 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01F2YVQ92] by Christopher Husberg which is the first book in The Chaos Queen Quintet.
"Stuck with arrows and close to death, a man is pulled from the icy waters of the Gulf of Nahl. Winter, a seemingly quiet young fisherman’s daughter, harbours a secret addiction that threatens to destroy her. A young priestess, Cinzia, must face a long journey home to protect her church from rebellion. A rebellion sparked by her sister.

Three characters on different paths will be brought together by fate on one thrilling and perilous adventure." [Source]






No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Tabletop Terrain
I like the amazing work of enthusiastic tabletop terrain designers and creators.
Over at Kotaku you can see an extraordinary example:


A ghost ship graveyard
Could you imagine that there is a ghost ship graveyard under San Francisco?
I admit I couldn't. Read the details over at Big Think.



Fantasy maps
A lot of fantasy readers like maps. Some of them would like to create their own maps. Unbelievable but true there is fantasy map generator available - for free!
Read the details over at BoingBoing




Milky way reflections
There are places on Earth where you can take awesome pictures of the milky way. Just head over to  WebUrbanist



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Today I want to share with you some thought about my favourite pastime.

 "A science-fiction game set in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy"

This is the official PS4 Launch Trailer

Big thank you goes to my wife because she ordered a copy of the game several month ago when I was not really sure if this could be a game for me.


Unfortunately the game has been overhyped - catchword multiplayer game.
Anyway I can tell you that I'm totally happy that it is not a multiplayer game.

If you look for multiplayer game then don't play it

In the meantime tons of videos and first reviews are available. I will neither review the game nor comment on reviews.


I just want to tell you what I like and for whom it could be as enjoyable as it is for me and my wife.

First and foremost you need childlike curiosity. You love to explore and to gather things. Non-linear games are your cup of tea. You can spend at least two hours at a stretch.

Are there repetitive actions? Yes of course as in any other game.
They do not bother me because they are as necessary as water and oxygen for human beings.

I like to discover all the secrets of a planet, the flora and fauna, to improve my space suit, my space ship.
The music supports the atmosphere of every planet. The planets and moons are great as is the flora and fauna.
It takes a few second after starting the game until I'm immersed.
My wife and I play in turns. We have the pleasure to see more planets as a single player and we talk a lot about the game.

It is definitely not a game for everyone but we love it ....





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I like the following quote BUT you will earn more respect you When do it ....

"Household tasks are easier and quicker when they are done by somebody else."

Jim Thorpe, American Olympic athlete and gold medalist, 1887 -1953




2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My little cardboard walls for D&D adventures of the past look so pathetic compared to that diorama.
No Man's Sky looks fun. Wonder if they made it for the PC?
Hope this is a better week for you.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
the world of dioramas is amazing.

No Man's Sky is available for PC and PS4. There have been technical issues. A first patch is available.

After some hours of game play my wife and I miss some things like a marker for outposts on planets in order to avoid long searches for places and buildings already discovered. The targeting system in space is not good.

Beside that we still enjoy the game. Not sure how that will be for long term gaming.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...