Saturday, August 06, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1632

Dear Readers,

it is a bit frightening and frustrating to see how fast the week passed and what I achieved regarding reading and blogging. when it comes to reading and blogging. Instead of complaining I try to enjoy every single page I read. It is a time where my reading depends more or less on my mood. Therefore I dropped my reading plan because it would be a waste of time and energy to read books I'm not in the mood for.

Today is Saturday and it means I'm back to my regularly posting day.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Anti-drowning devices
  2. Apartheid - physical remnants
  3. Digitally manipulated landscapes
  4. Entertainment in the 19th century
  5. A bank collapse is nothing new

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A Teaser

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to apathy

The Lighthouse
No time to finish a book. In my indecisiveness I put my nose into following three books.

At least I found time to finish one book.

I finished no book



My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

- 8 % done in Cowboys and Indians (digital, 31st August 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:>B00Z9ZE1WE] by Ed James.
This is sevenths and latest book in the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series.

- 27 % done in Love Story, With Murderers (digital, June 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00CM9CJWY] by Harry Bingham
I have high expectations after the first book.


- 35 % done in Spiderlight ( digital 2nd August 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01ARRSVM4] by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

If you think a fantasy story with a party fighting against the dark powers is a hackneyed subject then Spiderlight is the proof against it. 



- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress. I was not in the right mood for the book.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I told you about the Fiona Griffiths crime series by Harry Bingham. I like to crime crime fiction. It is something which fits to my mood.
But that does not mean I do not like historical fiction, epic fantasy, space opera, Victorian era mysteries, and steampunk any longer. I think the following four books which found a new home on my reader is a proof for that. I even started to read one of these books.

I can't deny that I'm a series junkie and that is the reason why I bought a copy of  The Play's the Thing ( digital 5th April 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01DWDA830] by Ann Swinfen.most of the books I show you today belong to series. It is the seventh book in The Chronicles of Christoval Alvarez series.
So far I read  The Secret World of Christoval Alvarez which is the first book  and enjoyed it a lot.
"When Kit Alvarez returns from Muscovy, it is to discover that her post as physician at St Thomas’s hospital has been given to another. Trying to eke out the small income she earns from some of Dr Nuñez’s private patients, she undertakes paid work as a copyist with James Burbage’s company.

But the players’ companies find themselves under threat. Two of Burbage’s men are murdered. One of Henslowe’s men is attacked. And two important new plays go missing, one by Will Shakespeare and one by Christopher Marlowe. Are the thefts merely the work of a jealous unlicensed company? Or is there a conspiracy afoot to use the plays in some more dangerous game?" [Source
I appreciate that the book description is spoiler free but shows that previous events have an impact. Therefore it makes sense to read the books in order.


Spiderlight ( digital 2nd August 2016) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B01ARRSVM4] is the brand new fantasy novel by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
"The Church of Armes of the Light has battled the forces of Darkness for as long as anyone can remember. The great prophecy has foretold that a band of misfits, led by a high priestess will defeat the Dark Lord Darvezian, armed with their wits, the blessing of the Light and an artifact stolen from the merciless Spider Queen.

Their journey will be long, hard and fraught with danger. Allies will become enemies; enemies will become allies. And the Dark Lord will be waiting, always waiting…" [Source]

I admit I'm no friend of spiders but there seems to be an exception with this book. Sounds like an old fashioned story but it is really good as I mentioned before.

In 2014 I read Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton. Due to closing of an Imprint it took some time until the publishing of the next book.
I'm happy that the series continues now with Lawless And The Flowers of Sin (digital 12th July 2016) [[Kindle Edition ASIN: B01FTAFWD0] by William Sutton.
"A Foundation for Fallen Women. An automaton chess-master. An impossible theft. As reluctant inspector of vice, Lawless undertakes a reckoning of London's nighthouses. Lawless is fascinated by Felix, the forlorn maestro driven by mysterious sufferings to establish this charitable foundation. Every secret he uncovers points to many more covered up. When reputations are at threat, those running the show can be merciless in defending them..." [Source]

As I could read on the author's site the third Campbell Lawless Victorian Mystery book with the title Lawless And The House of Electricity is planned to be published in 2017.





The last and final book for today is the first book in The Indranan War trilogy.
Behind the Throne (digital 2nd August 2016) [[Kindle Edition ASIN: B01D90138A] by K.B. Wagers.
"Meet Hail: Captain. Gunrunner. Fugitive.

Quick, sarcastic, and lethal, Hailimi Bristol doesn't suffer fools gladly. She has made a name for herself in the galaxy for everything except what she was born to do: rule the Indranan Empire. That is, until two Trackers drag her back to her home planet to take her rightful place as the only remaining heir.

But trading her ship for a palace has more dangers than Hail could have anticipated. Caught in a web of plots and assassination attempts, Hail can't do the one thing she did twenty years ago: run away. She'll have to figure out who murdered her sisters if she wants to survive.

A gun smuggler inherits the throne in this Star Wars-style science fiction adventure from debut author K. B. Wagers. Full of action-packed space opera exploits and courtly conspiracy - not to mention an all-out galactic war - Behind the Throne will please fans of James S. A Corey, Becky Chambers and Lois McMaster Bujold, or anyone who wonders what would happen if a rogue like Han Solo were handed the keys to an empire . . ." [Source]

The good thing is that the story will continue soon. The expected publishing date for After the Crown is 13th of December 2016 [Source].



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Anti-drowning devices
I don't know how it is in your country but in Germany less and less children learn to swim. Also a lot of adults can't swim. It seems nowadays it is more important to know how to use a smart phone. But the news report about a growing number of drowned people.
There is an informative post about anti-drowning devices developed in the 19th century shown and explained over at Atlas Obscura




Apartheid - physical remnants
The apartheid in South Africa ended years ago. Nevertheless there are still physical signs of the apartheid which you can see from above.
There is an interesting post covering the topic over at WebUrbanist



Digitally manipulated landscapes
There is another mesmerizing post showing digitally manipulated landscapes available over at WebUrbanist



Entertainment in the 19th century
I think it is no secret that especially in Victorian England crime was an important entertainment. Enjoy the post by historical fiction author Anna Mazzola over at The History Girls



A bank collapse is nothing new
In the past years we learned a lot of bank collapse. But this is nothing new under the sun as you can read in the very detailed post by author Ann Swinfen over at The History Girls



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Today I want to share a teaser with you which is not related to a movie or a game. Do you like to have a look into the past from time to time?
Then I have good news for you. Do know British Pathé ?

About British Pathé
"British Pathé is considered to be the finest newsreel archive in the world and is a treasure trove of 85,000 films unrivalled in their historical and cultural significance.
Spanning the years from 1896 to 1976, the collection includes footage from around the globe of major events, famous faces, fashion trends, travel, science and culture.
Over the last 40 years, this material has been used extensively by broadcasters, production companies, corporations, publishers, teachers and museums, among many others.
An in-depth history of British Pathé can be found here.
The entire archive is available to view online for free via the British Pathé website and YouTube channel."
 British Pathé is a real cornucopia.

Every month they show videos related to a specific theme on their YouTube channel.
This is the theme and the teaser for August 2016:

For me it is a highly welcomed and appreciated view back in time.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

When I look around then I see a lot of people facing the danger of apathy due to the ever present pressure at work and more ....

"The greatest danger to our future is apathy."

Jane Goodall, British primatologist, 1934 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The digitally manipulated worlds are always cool. Works so well with the cityscapes. (And puts me in mind of the upcoming Dr. Strange movie.)
Both Spiderlight and Behind the Throne sound interesting.
Sorry you weren't in the mood to read. Tomorrow starts a new week though.
And I have some exciting news on Monday, so hope to see you.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

After reading 70% of Spiderlight I must say it is still good. The interaction between the party members is excellent.

I read whenever I find time and when I'm in the mood for that. Sometimes I have to read a lot at work and then I can't enjoy to read a book in the evening.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...