Sunday, July 31, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1631

Dear Readers,

that has been a long and unexpected break since my last post on June 19th.

What happened?
To keep it short and simple:
Work took possession of my entire life.

Now I'm on the way back to be a citizen of Planet Normal.
This is an expression used by Fiona "Fi" Griffiths who is the main character of the Fiona Griffiths crime series by Harry Bingham.

The way back will take some time. But there is progress. I read a book. I write this post. More will come sooner or later.

I hope you will be as patient with me as patient I am with myself.
To rush one's fences is no option. 

I am aware of the fact that I promised an author to write a review. It is not forgotten.

Of course thought about what to do with my blog occurred in the past weeks.
BUT decisions made under pressure are mostly no good decisions.

I love reading and I love my blog. Without both life is missing an essential part for me. You may imagine how unhappy I have been in the past weeks.

Enough about me and my situation.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Umbrellas - always good for an interesting story
  2. Victorian means of transportation
  3. Floating underwater tunnels

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Great Wall

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to William Shakespeare

The Lighthouse
At least I found time to finish one book.

I finished

- Talking to the Dead (digital, June 2012) [Kindle ASIN: B008BD9LOO] by Harry Bingham
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Excellent, excellent, excellent.
Fiona Griffiths is such an extraordinary and unique character.

Well executed, dark, gripping, and emotional crime mystery.
Can't wait to read the four available sequels.

Full review in progress."



My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
No progress



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Digital copies of all five available books in the Fiona Griffiths crime series by Harry Bingham found a new home on my reader.This shows my increased interest in crime fiction.

I must say I like the presentation of the books on the author's site a lot.
Finally I decided to show you the first book only because I don't want to bother  readers who may not be interested in.
For all of you who are interested in the series and the author I highly recommend to visit

where you get a lot of information including a fascinating interview where the author interviewed his main character!


Book One
- Talking to the Dead (digital, June 2012) [Kindle ASIN: B008BD9LOO] by Harry Bingham
" A crime you'll always remember
A detective you'll never forget.


A young girl is found dead. A prostitute is murdered. And the strangest, youngest detective in the South Wales Major Crimes Unit is about to face the fiercest test of her short career.

A woman and her six-year-old daughter are killed with chilling brutality in a dingy flat. The only clue: the platinum bank card of a long-dead tycoon, found amidst the squalor.

DC Griffiths has already proved herself dedicated to the job, but there's another side to her she is less keen to reveal. Something to do with a mysterious two-year gap in her CV, her strange inability to cry - and a disconcerting familiarity with corpses.

Fiona is desperate to put the past behind her but as more gruesome killings follow, the case leads her inexorably back into those dark places in her own mind where another dead girl is waiting to be found . . ." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Umbrellas - always good for an interesting story
Do you think an umbrella is something very British?
Then I recommend to read following post over at Atlas Obscura



Victorian means of transportation
The Victorian era has been a time full of inventions. Not everything has been useful. author Anna Castle put together a post related to means of transportation in Victorian era.





Floating underwater tunnels
What to do when underwater tunnels or over-water bridges are to expensive or technically not possible? There is a possible answer over at WebUrbanist


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Still five months to go until beginning of 2017. Nevertheless trailers for 2017 movies started to pop up.

I think it was just a question of time when China and Hollywood work together on an English-language production for world wide distribution.

This is the first trailer of   The Great Wall

Synopsis
Starring global superstar Matt Damon and directed by one of the most breathtaking visual stylists of our time, Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers), Legendary’s The Great Wall tells the story of an elite force making a valiant stand for humanity on the world’s most iconic structure. The first English-language production for Yimou is the largest film ever shot entirely in China. The Great Wall also stars Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe and Andy Lau. [Source]
So far I can say I want definitely more information.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote fits to the state of my mind in the past weeks ....

"Oft expectations fails, and most oft there
 Where most it promises; and oft it hits 
Where hope is coldest, and despair most fits.


William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well (1600s), Act II, scene 1, line 145.

Quote and additional information taken from Wikiquote

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Edi! Been thinking about you. Glad it was just work and not something else.
Those water tunnels look wild. I would be leery driving on them.
Just good to hear from you.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Welcome back! Please, try to relax. Too much work not really good for your health.

ediFanoB said...

Hey Alex,
thank you. It has been a tough time. It happened before in the past 25 years. The difference is that I'm not getting younger ..... Now I look forward to September ... second part of my summer holidays.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

thank you very much. I started to relax a but. Right time for relaxation will be September when my wife and I go again on holiday which is our 25th wedding anniversary gift.
I'm aware of the fact that this exhausting kind of work is not healthy.
Fortunately it does not happen too often ...

But I'm sure you also know such kind of situations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...