Sunday, June 19, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1625

Dear Readers,
work is dominating life. I think it is not necessary to explain in detail the impact - postponed reviews, shortened posts, less reading ......

I can't change it and I hope it will getting better in July.

Please apologize the delay in my weekly post.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
  2. For free from Sunday to Tuesday, June 12-14
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. 1816
  2. Picture or Painting?
  3. Confusing currencies

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Bows and crossbows

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to opinions

The Lighthouse
At least I found time to finish one book.

I finished

- Missing (digital, 6th June 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01GCSJODW] by Ed James.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"A new series with a striking main character.
I did not expect the appearance of Scott Cullen who is the main character of the Scott Cullen series. The Scott Cullen in this book acts a bit different to the one described in the series.

Proper police procedural, a really dark story line, and an excellent bunch of characters.
Look forward to meet Craig Hunter again."


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 43% done in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
Again a small progress

- 58% done in The Devil's Workshop (digital, 31st July 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00I8AKG2G] by Alex Grecian.
Tension is rising.






Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Two digital copies found a new home on my reader. I ordered both in advance.

Even I read a lot of crime fiction in the past months, I do not forget fantasy. In February 2016 I ordered a copy of the following book based on the description and the cover which reminded me of Lord of the Rings.
Stranger of Tempest (digital, 10th June 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01175KEAC] by Tom Lloyd.
"Lynx is a mercenary with a sense of honour; a dying breed in the Riven Kingdom. Failed by the nation he served and weary of the skirmishes that plague the continent's principalities, he walks the land in search of purpose. He wants for little so bodyguard work keeps his belly full and his mage-gun loaded. It might never bring a man fame or wealth, but he's not forced to rely on others or kill without cause.

Little could compel Lynx to join a mercenary company, but he won't turn his back on a kidnapped girl. At least the job seems simple enough; the mercenaries less stupid and vicious than most he's met over the years.

So long as there are no surprises or hidden agendas along the way, it should work out fine..." [Source]
The Devil's Workshop (digital, 31st July 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00I8AKG2G] by Alex Grecian is the third book in the Scotland Yard's Murder Squad series and one of my current reads. Therefore it was no question for me to order a copy of the latest book in the series.
Lost and Gone Forever (digital, 16th June 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01CQ8HWN6] by Alex Grecian.
"A man wakes in a cell. He doesn't know who he is or how long he has been here. He doesn't even know his name. All he knows is that someone has left the cell door open . . .

Nevil Hammersmith is a former a Metropolitan Police sergeant. He became a private detective when his colleague Walter Day went missing investigating the Ripper case. He's been looking for Day for an entire year, but it is as if his friend has completely vanished from the streets of London . . .

No one has heard from the Ripper in a long time.
No one knows when he will strike again.
That's just how he wants it. For the Ripper has plans for the city and the man in the cell - the man he believes is just like himself . . ." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


1816
What do you know about the year 1816? It was the year of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Did you know that 1816 is also known as the Year Without a Summer?
There is a most interesting post over at The Public Domain Review covering both topics and possible dependencies.



Picture or painting?
This is a question difficult to answer when you have a look at following post over at WebUrbanist


Confusing currencies

I will not go into details because I'm still confused by the video shown over
at English Historical Fiction Authors. Fortunately it is embedded in an enlightening post.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Bows and crossbows
Crossbows and bows are my favourite weapons when it comes to games like Skyrim. Fortunately I found some time to watch some E3 2016 videos.
Even I know that graphics is not all what counts BUT when I saw the following video I knew instantly I must get a copy and to my pleasure my wife is as excited as I am.

I played Skyrim on PS3 more then 200 hours. AND I will play it again on PS4 - just hoping there will be time left to do this.

Beside that I know now which new game I want to play in 2017. A bow, a female main character, a fascinating setting - I talk about Horizon New Dawn.
After watching the video my wife turned around to me and said to me: "This is exactly your game!"

It is absolutely awesome that the both of us turn into fan boy and fan girl when it comes to video games. It shows that gaming is not a question of age. My wife is 56 and I turn 57 next month.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Following quote is true but what would be the result when there would be a mind reader installed next to the painting ....

"A painting in a museum hears more ridiculous opinions than anything else in the world.

Edmond de Goncourt , French writer, art and literary critic, 1822 -1896

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome back! Sorry you returned from vacation to a ton of work.
Don't you wish game companies made their own movies? Their commercials look so amazing.
And can you imagine a volcanic eruption so powerful that it mars summer? May we never see one like that.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Edi! Hope everything is all right. Missing your weekly posts.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Alex,
a lot of things happened which I will explain in my upcoming post.
Nevertheless thank you for taking care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...