Sunday, June 12, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1624

Dear Readers,
finally I'm back with one day delay. Unfortunately I had to work on Saturday and was too tired in the evening.
Holiday has been excellent. Maybe it was too good and I received "punishment" in form of extra hours in the first week after holiday.
I hope you will understand that this will be a short post.
So far I don't know if there will be a post on 25th of June because I have to work the whole weekend. It is still possible that the work will be postponed.
We will see ...


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
  2. For free from Sunday to Tuesday, June 12-14
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Poison
  2. Newgate Gaol
  3. Spells. Pills, Plasters

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. CALL OF CT­HULHU

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to work

The Lighthouse
What did I read in the past three weeks. I read more than I expected and less than I hoped. Beside that I read only two of the four books I wanted to read during holiday.


I finished

- The Victoria Vanishes (digital 2014) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00H51SZO0] by Christopher Fowler, which is the sixth book in the Bryant and May Mystery series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Somehow I managed to finish the book in between preparation for holiday.

This is the fifth Bryan & May book I read and I liked it as much as the previous ones.
The characters alone are awesome and I mus say the end of the story shocked me.
Fortunately I know that there are more books. Without this information the would have ended really sad for me. That may show how much I love and care of the characters.
The title of the book is well reflected and the appendix show how much time and effort the author put into the book."


- Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One (digital, January 2012) [Kindle ASIN: B004O4C1AK] by Ashley Gardner.
This omnibus contains three books and two short stories.
I finished the first book The Hanover Square Affair.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This has nothing to do with all the Regency and romance stuff you can get. It is a promising start of the series. Excellent story, great characters, and an awesome depiction of London in 1816. I loved the book and it delivered all what I hoped to get.

I look forward to read the whole series.

I read this book as part of an omnibus. But I want to count it as a single book. Therefore I will enter book one and two of the omnibus as single books and the omnibus will present book three."


- Cold Granite (digital, February 2009) [Kindle edition ASIN: B002RI9ZZO] by Stuart MacBride which is the first book in the Logan McRae series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The book has been published first in 2005.
So it took 11 years until I discovered the first Logan McRae story.

Except the books by Ed James - Scott Cullen series and more - I did not read modern crime novels. Until now and I must say I'm so happy that I read COLD GRANITE !

What shall I say? Now I have two mystery series set in Scotland. Awesome characters which will develop in the next books. Good description of police procedural and a clever mix of several crimes."


- Natural Causes (digital, 22nd November 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00A8U3BRG] by James Oswald which is the first book in the Inspector McLean series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is definitely my third mystery series set in Scotland.

The difference to the other series is the fact that supernatural aspects come into play but do not dominate. Great characters, gruesome murders and well describe police procedural.

with Inspector McLean my three Scottish police musketeers are complete.

Scott Cullen. Logan McRae, and Anthony McLean.
Each of them is an excellent character and they have in common the love for their jobs and steadfastness.
This has been a most satisfying read and therefore I give five stars."


- Awakenings (paperback, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765366313] by Edward Lazellari.
The review is in progress.

I'm


- 169 pages in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.
So far not bad. I hope the tension will rising.


- 155 pages in The Devil's Workshop (digital, 31st July 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00I8AKG2G] by Alex Grecian.
My wife and I read this book parallel and we both enjoy.

I read

- 83% of Missing (digital, 6th June 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01GCSJODW] by Ed James.
Captivating!!

No progress

- nothing to report


For free from Sunday to Tuesday, June 12-14
Are you interested in Sherlock Holmes and his arch-enemy Professor James Moriarty?
Then you maybe interested in the following book:
Moriarty Meets His Match: A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery (Digital, 1st June 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B01FT2270Y] by Anna Castle which is the first book in her new The Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery Series.
"Professor James Moriarty has but one desire left in his shattered life: to prevent the man who ruined him from harming anyone else. Then he meets amber-eyed Angelina Gould and his world turns upside down.

At an exhibition of new inventions, an exploding steam engine kills a man. When Moriarty tries to figure out what happened, he comes up against Sherlock Holmes, sent to investigate by Moriarty’s old enemy. Holmes collects evidence that points at Moriarty, who realizes he must either solve the crime or swing it for it himself. He soon uncovers trouble among the board members of the engine company and its unscrupulous promoter. Moriarty tries to untangle those relationships, but everywhere he turns, he meets the alluring Angelina. She’s playing some game, but what’s her goal? And whose side is she on?

Between them, Holmes and Angelina push Moriarty to his limits -- and beyond. He’ll have to lose himself to save his life and win the woman he loves." [Source]
Sounds like an interesting addition to the world of Sherlock Holmes pastiches.
Due to information I got from Anna Castle's blog the Kindle edition of the book is available
FOR FREE FROM SUNDAY TO TUESDAY, 14 -19 June 2016 !!

I just downloaded a digital copy.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Two digital copies found a new home on my reader and one paperback found a place in one of my overcrowded shelves.

I talked about the first book above. I mean Moriarty Meets His Match: A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery (Digital, 1st June 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B01FT2270Y] by Anna Castle.


I talked about author Ed James and his books end of May 2016 - My post. To my pleasure the first book in a new series arrived on 6th of June and I could not resist to start reading Missing (digital, 6th June 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01GCSJODW] by Ed James.
"A new series from the bestselling author of the Detective Scott Cullen Scottish crime novels.

Meet PC Craig Hunter of Edinburgh's Local Policing Unit. Ex-Army. Ex-CID. Back in uniform.

A straightforward domestic call out twists out of control when 16-year-old schoolgirl Stephanie Ferguson alleges her stepfather, Doug Ferguson, has been abusing her. Hunter is soon working with DS Chantal Jain of Police Scotland's Sexual Offences Unit to kick off the prosecution. But before a full statement can be taken, Stephanie disappears from hospital.

Now, Hunter must hunt the girl down before anyone else can. Where has Stephanie gone? Did she run? Or did someone take her? Will he get to the truth before it gets beaten into lies? Or before Stephanie is silenced for good... ? And why does this case keep throwing up old enemies from Hunter's past?

MISSING is a fast-paced police procedural, full of action and suspense that will grip you until its breathless conclusion." [Source]

The last book for today is the paperback copy of the third book in the  fantasy series The Shadow Campaigns. I had to wait a while until the publishing of the paperback and I expect this will happen again with the fourth book in the series.
The Shadow Throne City (pb, June 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0451418074]  by Django Wexler
"In the latest Shadow Campaigns novel, Django Wexler continues his “epic fantasy of military might and magical conflict,” (Library Journal) following The Shadow Throne and The Thousand Names.

After the king’s death, war has come to Vordan. The Deputies-General, led by a traitor-seeking zealot, has taken control. Queen Raesinia Orboan is nearly powerless as the government tightens its grip and assassins threaten her life. Unwilling to see the country come under another tyranny, she sets out to turn the tide of history.

As the Sworn Church brings the powers of the continent to war against Vordan, General Janus bet Vhalnich offers a path to victory. Winter Ihernglass, newly promoted to command a regiment, has reunited with her lover and her friends only to face the prospect of leading them into bloody battle.

And the enemy is not just armed with muskets and cannon. Dark priests of an ancient order, wielding forbidden magic, have infiltrated Vordan to stop Janus by whatever means necessary.... (Source)


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Poison
Where is love there was/is the thought of getting rid of someone lurking deep in the shadows. It is incredible to read how many people were afraid of being poisoned in the Middle Ages.
There is a most interesting and entertaining post available over at The History Girls which will enlighten you.

 'Medieval Murder -Ten Handy Ways to Poison Your Spouse' by Karen Maitland


Newgate Gaol
As the name says it was originally a gate. If you would like to get more information about Newgate prison then I recommend to read following post over at English Historical Fiction Authors.



Spells, Pills, Plaster
These were important ingredients for women to win the love of their desired male.
Read more about it over at The History Girls.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

CALL OF CTHULHU
is a short story by H. P. Lovecraft, the name of a role playing game, and the title of a video game to be released in 2017.The Last Days of Night 
I liked to read books and stories by H. P. Lovecraft in my youth.
This is the press release and the first trailer ...  atmospheric .....
"Call of Cthulhu: insanity is the only path for truth.

The E3 trailer for Call of Cthulhu, the official video game adaptation of Chaosium’s pen & paper RPG, rises from the depths. Developed for consoles and PC by Cyanide Studio in Paris, Call of Cthulhu will offer an RPG-Investigation title, packed with psychological horror and stealth mechanics. Cyanide Studios brings to life a disturbing world that players will have to explore and investigate while Cthulhu, the Great Dreamer, prepares its awakening. Today’s E3 Trailer offers but a glimpse at all that awaits you.

In Call of Cthulhu, players will control Edward Pierce, a former veteran and private investigator in 1920s Boston. Pierce will be investigating the tragic and mysterious death of Sarah Hawkins and her family in Darkwater Island. The game’s E3 Trailer showcases this disturbing Island and the eerie Hawkins Family Mansion, and gives a glimpse at how the intensity of the investigation will slowly start chipping away at your Sanity.

Insanity and the Cthulhu Mythos have long been entwined – as your investigation brings you closer to Cthulhu’s sphere of influence, madness will progressively engulf your senses, leaving you to increasingly question what is real and what is illusory. They say that madness is the only way that can bring you to the truth and you will have to balance your sanity against your determination to discover it!

The Cthulhu Mythos has grown to become one of the largest shared universes ever envisioned, giving birth to countless stories, novels, and even movies ever since the original publication of Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu.

Call of Cthulhu will release in 2017 on consoles and PC"


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Following quote seems worth to think about ....

"I have long been of the opinion that if work were such a splendid thing the rich would have kept more of it for themselves.

Bruce Grocott, British politician, 1940 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome back!
Let's hope this Call of Cthulhu is a good one.

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Alex.
The late reply is one result of the fact that work is dominating my life and this will continue until begin of July :-((

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...