Sunday, May 15, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1620

Dear Readers,
as you may have noticed there was no Weekend Wave on Saturday which was the result of a more than crazy week.
Do you know the phenomenon that every time the last two weeks before you go on holiday turn into a tsunami of work. Suddenly a dozen or more tasks pop up and each of them needs to be finished before your holiday?
This is what happened to me last week and which will continue next week.
I will not tell you how many extra hours I spent.
Nevertheless the delay of this post and my nearly dropped down to nothing reading progress are obviously results. I was too exhausted and tired for writing and reading. I needed a rest on Saturday.
I have had a plan what to post during my absence. It went all down the drain. With some luck - it all depends on what will happen next week - There will be a kind of alternative. Will tell you more next Saturday.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. The fourth book 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A new source
  2. A world to explore
  3. Globes
  4. Panoramic prints
  5. Marble

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. YouTube channels

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to bull (animal)

The Lighthouse
Reading progress dropped dramatically. I explained the reason for that in the introduction to this post.


I finished

- no book



I'm

- 297 pages in Kaisersturz (digital, 13th November 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B017XLAIYQ] by Felix A. Münter which is the first book in the Imperium von Westrin trilogy.
With some look I will finish this excellent start of a series within next week. I got in contact with author Felix A. Münter and he informed me that there will me more books set in this world after the trilogy.
That means after a long time I will read an epic fantasy series in my first language.


- 242 pages in The Victoria Vanishes (digital 2014) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00H51SZO0] by Christopher Fowler, which is the sixth book in the Bryant and May Mystery series.
Just a small progress in for of 30 pages.


No progress

- 109 pages in The Jade Owl(digital, 23rd October 2008) [Kindle ASIN: B001J54AWO] by Edward C. Patterson which is the first book in The Jade Owl Legacy.



- 86 pages in Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One (digital, January 2012) [Kindle ASIN: B004O4C1AK] by Ashley Gardner.
This omnibus contains three books and two short stories.
I started to read the first book The Hanover Square Affair and so far I'm enjoying it. There are really dark areas in Regency London ......




- nothing to report



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


Last week I received a paperback review copy, bought one digital copy for 0,99 EUR (= 1.12 USD = 0.78 GBP), and received two digital copies which ordered in advance.

Let me start with the paperback review copy. You find the story behind the book later on in this post.
Awakenings (paperback, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765366313] by Edward Lazellari.
"Awakenings by Edward Lazellari launches a captivating fantasy saga by an amazing and talented new storyteller.

Cal MacDonnell is a happily married New York City cop with a loving family. Seth Raincrest is a washed-up photographer who has alienated even his closest friends. The two have nothing in common—except that they both suffer from retrograde amnesia. It's as if they just appeared out of thin air thirteen years ago, and nothing has been able to restore their memories. Now their forgotten past has caught up to them with a vengeance.

Cal's and Seth's lives are turned upside down as they are stalked by otherworldly beings who know about the men's past lives. But these creatures aren't here to help; they're intent on killing anyone who gets in their way. In the balance hangs the life of a child who might someday restore a broken empire to peace and prosperity. With no clue why they're being hunted, Cal and Seth must accept the aid of a strange and beautiful woman who has promised to unlock their secrets. The two must stay alive long enough to protect their loved ones, recover their true selves—and save two worlds from tyranny and destruction." [Source]

0,99 EUR (= 1.12 USD = 0.78 GBP) is price which most of the time I'm willing to pay for a digital copies which arouse my interest.
I did not hesitate to buy a digital copy of 1906: A Novel (digital, 22nd January  2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00B4ZK7EE] by James Dalessandro.
"EVERY DISASTER HAS A STORY, none more thrilling this one. Set during the great San Francisco earthquake and fire, this page-turning tale of political corruption, vendettas, romance, and rescue-and-murder, is based on recently uncovered facts that will forever change our understanding of what really happened. Told by Annalisa Passarella, a feisty young reporter, the novel paints a vivid picture of life in the post-Victorian city, from the gilded ballrooms of Nob Hill to the seedy bars of the Barbary Coast; from the slave ships in the bay, to the front row seats of Enriso Caruso's sold out performance. At its center is an ongoing battle-fought even as the city burns-that pits imcompetent and unscrupulous politicians against a coalition of honest police officers, newspaper editors, citizens, and a lone federal prosecutor. leading the fight to save the city is Hunter Fallon, the rebellious indealistic scion of a family of police officers. With him at every dangerous step is Annalisa, who uses her newspaper connections and her charm to infiltrate the inner circles of the corrupt political machine." [Source]
The final two digital copies which I ordered in advance cover my interest for science fiction and Victorian era.
First we travel into the future with the promising
Central Station (digital, 10th of May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01A5VHDEY] by Lavie Tidhar.
"A worldwide diaspora has left a quarter of a million people at the foot of a space station. Cultures collide in real life and virtual reality. The city is literally a weed, its growth left unchecked. Life is cheap, and data is cheaper.

When Boris Chong returns to Tel Aviv from Mars, much has changed. Boris’s ex-lover is raising a strangely familiar child who can tap into the datastream of a mind with the touch of a finger. His cousin is infatuated with a robotnik—a damaged cyborg soldier who might as well be begging for parts. His father is terminally-ill with a multigenerational mind-plague. And a hunted data-vampire has followed Boris to where she is forbidden to return.

Rising above them is Central Station, the interplanetary hub between all things: the constantly shifting Tel Aviv; a powerful virtual arena, and the space colonies where humanity has gone to escape the ravages of poverty and war. Everything is connected by the Others, powerful alien entities who, through the Conversation—a shifting, flowing stream of consciousness—are just the beginning of irrevocable change.

At Central Station, humans and machines continue to adapt, thrive...and even evolve." [Source]

I read books by Lavie Tidhar before and he delivers good stuff. I ordered this one because I wanted to know how he will cope with science fiction.
I also wanted to know what other blogger think about this book and during my research I discovered a book blog I never visited before. I'm really happy about this discovery and will tell you why a little bit later in this post. For now let me tell you that the review I found revealed several information about the book which I have not been aware of before.

The fourth and final book today is a travel back into the world of Victorian murder mystery. It has been a bit of surprise because the expected publishing date has been 30th of May.

Keaper of Peas (digital, 15th March 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00CTPR598] by Annelie Wendeberg.
"On December 10, 1880, Coroner Sévère makes a gruesome discovery: nine newborns, buried in flowerpots, and hidden in plain sight in Whitechapel. A mortician receives the bodies and vanishes. Clues for the two seemingly unconnected cases are scarce.

When police and coroner learn that the missing mortician might have spent his last moments at the bosom of the infamous prostitute Miss Mary, a series of events is nudged into motion. Lies are unearthed, rumours spread. Yet, the killer remains a faceless phantom. His secret seems buried forever.
Until the night Sévère requests Miss Mary’s services…

Warning: Post-mortems and prostitution are shown unprettified." [Source]

Something which I really appreciate are the warnings given by the author for the faint hearted.



The fourth book
There is a story behind the fourth and last book I will read during my holiday. A while ago I received a really kind mail from Edward Lazellari who is the author of the Guardians of Aandor series.
He told me that he have had a look at what I'm reading over at GOODREADS and he thought I may would like his series. We exchanged several mails tried to get an impression of each other.
The Guardians of Aandor series consists of to books so far (published in 2011 and 2013) and the third one to be published this year.
After reading the description of the first book I agreed to receive a signed paperback copy in exchange for an honest review.
I agreed and last week the paperback copy arrived.
The description which you could read in the book received part of the post sounded after my liking and seems to be the right choice for my holiday.




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

A new source
Like many, many other readers and blogger I read post and reviews on other blogs. It is not that easy to find blogger who share my taste. Therefore I was more than happy when I discovered


I read the review of  Central Station (digital, 10th of May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01A5VHDEY] by Lavie Tidhar. Kate, the mastermind of the blog did a great and convincing job. Next I opened her Book Reviews list and found a lot of books which I either read or I want to read.
This morning I spent a certain amount of time in order to read reviews of some of the books I read. I'm more than happy that I spent the time because I know now that I found one more trustworthy source who shares my taste.
This is extremely helpful when it comes to books unknown to me where do not want to depend on other sources only. I added the blog immediately to my feedly reader which I use instead of the gone Google Reader.
In case you don't know this blog I recommend to visit  For winter nights – A bookish blog
and have a look at the Book Reviews list and the Index of Authors in order to find out if it would be worth to follow this blog.



A world to explore
Compared to our time the Victorian era has been a time still full of places and things to discover. It has also be a time where women started to explore the world. They entered a part of society preserved for men. Some of these female explorers are still present today like Nellie Bly others fell into oblivion for most people. To be a female explorer in Victorian era need a lot of self-confidence and courage. Read more about some of these women over at  English Historical Fiction Authors.



Globes
They are such wonderful and fascinating things. They inspire to travel to foreign countries with the tip of the finger and much more. I remember we had one made of plastic when I was a boy. But those ones are nothing to compared you can get from a small company in case you can pay the price.
Read the full story over at Atlas Obscura ...





Panoramic prints
I must say I'm fascinated by panoramic prints and I adore the artists. I do it even more since I read the excellent post over at  Atlas Obscura ...





Marble
A material with a hard surface and full of beauty at times. But it can be more. Visit WebUrbanist and have a look at ...





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Today I want to talk about two YouTube channels I subscribed. Both are neither video game related nor music related.

I'm interested in history. I read books, watch documentations and films. Furthermore I discovered some YouTube channels which take a different approach to certain events in history.


A hundred years ago the Great War also know as World War I was in full progress.
A certain Thomas Edward Lawrence has been involved.
He is also known as Lawrence of Arabia and many people have heard about him. When you ask for their source of knowledge most refer to the 1962 Lawrence of Arabia film starring Sir Alec Guinness as T. E. Lawrence.

But what does the film deliver? Is fiction or do you get hard facts? A good question which would take time to answer properly.

At this point the YouTube channel  History Buffs comes into play.
What do they do?
"A show dedicated solely to reviewing historical movies.
Ever wondered how much a film is based on a true story?
This is the place to find out."

This is what they have to tell you about the 1962 Lawrence of Arabia film.
From my point of view they did a great job.

This leads me directly to the second YouTube  channel The Great War.
What is their purpose?
"The Great War' shows you the history of the First World War in the four years from 1914 to 1918,exactly 100 years ago. Our host Indy takes you back week by week and shows you what was going on in the past. Learn more about the Allies and the Central Powers, emperors, Winston Churchill, Wilhelm II, soldiers, battles and of the life aside the battlefield. Subscribe to our channel to watch a new video every Monday, Thursday & Saturday!"

This is their take on how T.E. Lawrence became Lawrence of Arabia.

Together both videos last 36 minutes. Just 36 minutes to get well informed about Lawrence of Arabia in a well done an entertaining way.
This is a great opportunity to learn more about history for all people who prefer videos instead of books.

In future I will share with you some more of the YouTube channels I like.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Sometimes it could wise to not follow proverbs. The following quote is a good example for that ..........

"Don't take the bull by the horns, take him by the tail; then you can let go when you want to.

Josh Billings, American humorist, 1818- 1885

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That did give off the illusion of water.
Some really interesting books coming up! Noted several I'd like to read.
Sorry about all the crap that needs to be done before your vacation. Just think, while you're on vacation, you won't have to think about any of it.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
be sure I will get rid of everything not related to vacation and I will enjoy the time together with my wife.

Liked to read that some of the books I presented are also interesting for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...