Sunday, April 10, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1615

Dear Readers,
today is Sunday and no new issue of the Weekend Wave has been posted.
I would like to explain why. It is related to last week.
I spent a lot of extra hours at work. I left work on Friday afternoon bugged. I thought and hoped to get in a better mood with my visit to gym on Saturday morning. It did not work. To be honest this was definitely not a good mood to write a post and therefore I decided to postpone the post.
Five things helped me to change my mood
- Play Fallout 4
- The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: The Murder In Angel Lane on TV
- A long and relaxing rest
- Finish a book
- Buy a book


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Don't know how to spend $28 Million?
  2. Crooked or straight
  3. Urban jungle

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fallout 4 Wasteland Workshop

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to teenagers


The Lighthouse
A better week regarding reading. I finished two books.

Not I try to read whenever I find time. I hope to finish some books soon. For the first time I started to read a book set in Regency era which formally ended in 1837.I makes a lot of fun to read four different books parallel.


I finished

- What Angels Fear (digital, November 2005) [Kindle ASIN: B000OCXIDU] by C. S. Harris which is the first book in the Sebastian St. Cyr series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I have a knack for Victorian mysteries.
After reading the description of What Angels Fear I decided to give a Regency mystery a try.
And I have not been disappointed. On the contrary, I liked it a lot.

Intense story with twists and turns, vivid characters who promise more and an excellent depiction of Regency London.

What Angels Fear convinced me to read more books in the series.

I gave five stars because the book convinced me and satisfied me in every aspect.
Isn't it what books are for?"

- So far I read seven of the ten stories of Parallels:Felix was here (digital, 3rd May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01BI04FFQ] an Insecure Writer's Support Group Anthology.
I read the last three stories a few hours ago. There will be a full review. Not decided yet when it will be published.


I'm in


- nothing

No progress

- 77 pages in Kaisersturz (digital, 13th November 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B017XLAIYQ] by Felix A. Münter which is the first book in the Imperium von Westrin trilogy.


- Unfortunately the page count for this book on my new reader differs from the old one. I finished chapter 17 of Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.
The book is good but I did not find time to continue.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

There is nearly no week without new books for my reader. Last week digital copies of two books found their way to me.

In the world of digital books it is not uncommon that you get revised editions.
I must say I prefer to stick to the original edition. But also my world is not without exceptions.
The book I talk about has been published first in 1983 and a second revised edition followed in 1990. That was a time when we did not think about digital editions. Since a few days the latest edition is available. I bought a digital copy after I read the post Author Query - Trevor Hoyle over at A Fantastical Librarian.
This is how author Trevor Hoyle introduce his book The Last Gasp (digital, 7th April 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01BI04FFQ] to potential readers:
"The novel takes a look thirty years ahead. What it portrays is a rather terrifying 21st century prophesy of the world running out of oxygen, which could actually happen if we carry on polluting the oceans and cutting down the rain forests as we are doing. Imagine what it would be like, as if living at 15,000 feet on the side of a mountain and literally gasping for breath – that’s what the future could hold for the human race, and hence the title." [Source]
In case you like the official blurb:
"MANKIND IS KILLING
THE AIR WE BREATHE.

Scientists have been warning for decades that we are poisoning the Earth. Now their prophecy is coming true. The oceans have become polluted, destroying a crucial link in the planet's life-support system.

Instead of joining in friendship to meet this deadly future, corrupt superpowers are plotting to secure the last remaining clean air for the privileged few.

This is the terrifying 21st-century prophecy of what we are doing to our home in space.

Once it was just a scary bedtime story. Now it has become horrifyingly real.

TIME IS SHORT.
THE AIR IS RUNNING OUT." [Source]


Thanks to Sci-Fi Fan Letter for the post

because without I would have missed Dark Transmissions (digital, 1st March 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B015WXSN26] by Davila LeBlanc which is his debut novel and at the same time the start of the Tale of the Jinxed Thirteenth series.
The description aroused my interest and as I needed to do something good for me I bought a copy.
"It is the late 23rd century. For engineers Jessie Madison and her husband David, a routine maintenance contract on board the orbital mining station Moria 3 has become a nightmare. Upon awakening from cryo-stasis, they learn a horrifying truth: while they were asleep, machines rose up against humanity...and won.

Marooned and at the mercy of the station’s malicious artificial intelligence, OMEX, David and Jessie rig an emergency transmission to broadcast into the darkness, desperately hoping someone is still alive to hear it...

Navigating the fringes of explored space in the Covenant Patrol vessel the Jinxed Thirteenth, Captain Morwyn Soltaine picks up a distress signal from a space station. But it’s broadcasting in Ancient Humanity, a language that has been extinct for several millennia. Even more incredible: there are two survivors on board. Morwyn’s rag-tag crew of reformed criminals mount a rescue op, unaware of the dangerous foe awaiting them. As the past and future collide, a routine mission becomes a deadly game of wits." [Source]
In case the book is a good one then readers do not need to wait too long for the sequel because it will be published in July 2016. Here is the cover:
 Syndicate's Pawns
 5th July 2016
[Kindle ASIN: B016I3AOOY]




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Don't know how to spend $28 Million?
Atlas Obscura shows one possible opportunity.




Crooked or straight
For me modern houses often lack a bit of charm which old and crooked houses show. I don't know if you agree or not. There is an inspiring post over at Atlas Obscura. Have a look at





Urban jungle
Hong Kong is a good example for urban jungle. Especially when you have the opportunity to see the town from above. I know I do not wan to live there after I saw the impressive photos over at WebUrbanist.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I can't really describe how much I like to play Fallout 4 on PS4. Whenever I read about the game and see videos on YouTube I'm surprised how much my game play differ from other people. So far I played nearly 200 hours and spent most of the time to roam the Wasteland and Boston. I admit I'm a hunter and gatherer.
Even I'm far beyond to finish the main quest, I liked to put my nose into the first DLC Automatron and finished the first two tasks. I was not sure if I would like the next next DLC Wasteland Workshop. But after I saw the official trailer which I must share with you, I must admit there are a lot of things which I like to get for my settlements.

There is no console on PS4. I do not really miss it. 
Recently I found a video showing to get a rare armor by using a glitch. Normally I prefer to play games without tricks. But in this case I wanted to see if the mentioned glitch works on PS4 and it did. I took me some time to get the armor which can be useful under specific circumstances.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote has a point ......

"Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves.

J. B. Priest, English author, 1894 - 1984

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a lot for an English village.
Glad you finished the Parallels anthology.
LeBlanc's books look interesting. Knowing the second one is coming out soon, I might pick up the first now.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I liked the Parallels anthology. Now I need to find time to write the review.
I hope we both will like LeBlanc's books.

Anonymous said...

very nice sharing this article and good for all people

jaket kulit asli sukaregang garut
jaket kulit asli pria
jaket kulit asli berkualitas
jaket kulit asli
jaket kulit asli
jaket kulit asli

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...