Saturday, April 02, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1614

Dear Readers,
weather forecast promised better weather for the weekend. Today there was at least no rain and a bit of sunshine. Last Tuesday my wife and I resumed our gym sessions. Today was the second session and I feel good but tired. Fortunately there is enough energy left to write this post.
It took me nearly two days to reorganize my digital library but I'm happy with the result. Now it is a lot easier for me to find books without flipping through my whole library.

Unfortunately I needed more or less the whole week to adjust to the changed time. I did not read as much as I wanted. But every page read is better than none read.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Abridged classics
  2. 10 signs you've
  3. A question and no Easter egg
  4. Ventriloquism

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Paul Zerdin

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to laughing



The Lighthouse
I try to read whenever I find time. I hope to finish some books soon. For the first time I started to read a book set in Regency era which formally ended in 1837.I makes a lot of fun to read four different books parallel.




I finished

- no book


I'm

- Unfortunately the page count for this book on my new reader differs from the old one. I finished chapter 17 of Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.
At least a small progress in form of two chapters.

- So far I read three of the ten stories of Parallels:Felix was here (digital, 3rd May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01BI04FFQ] an Insecure Writer's Support Group Anthology.
From what I can tell after three stories this is a good anthology. 

- 77 pages in Kaisersturz (digital, 13th November 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B017XLAIYQ] by Felix A. Münter which is the first book in the Imperium von Westrin trilogy.
Again I try epic fantasy written by a German author and so far it did not disappoint.

-


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Four really different books in form of digital copies found a new home on my reader.
Thanks to author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh because he was involved in the action that I got an ARC of
Parallels:Felix was here (digital, 3rd May 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B01BI04FFQ] an Insecure Writer's Support Group Anthology.
"Enter the realm of parallel universes!

What if the government tried to create the perfect utopia? Could a society linked to a supercomputer survive on its own? Do our reflections control secret lives on the other side of the mirror? Can one moment split a person’s world forever?

Exploring the fantastic, ten authors offer incredible visions and captivating tales of diverse reality. Featuring the talents of L. G. Keltner, Crystal Collier, Hart Johnson, Cherie Reich, Sandra Cox, Yolanda Renee, Melanie Schulz, Sylvia Ney, Michael Abayomi, and Tamara Narayan.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will expand your imagination and twist the tropes of science fiction. Step through the portal and enter another dimension!" [Source]
As you may assume I received the ARC in exchange for an honest review. I do not read anthologies that often.

Until last week I stayed away from books set in Regency era because there are a lot of books focussing on romance which is not my cup of tea. Then I read the description of following book and decided to give it a try.
What Angels Fear (digital, November 2005) [Kindle ASIN: B000OCXIDU] by C. S. Harris which is the first book in the Sebastian St. Cyr series.
"It's 1811, and the threat of revolution haunts the upper classes of King George III's England. Then a beautiful young woman is found savagely murdered on the altar steps of an ancient church near Westminster Abbey. A dueling pistol found at the scene and the damning testimony of a witness both point to one man-Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, a brilliant young nobleman shattered by his experience in the Napoleonic Wars." [Source]
As you could read above I'm totally fascinated by the book. Authentic historical details (there have been a lot of dark places in London 1811), a story with twists and turns, and a main character just after my taste.

I read two Sherlock Holmes pastiche by James Lovegrove and I really liked them. For whatever reason I was not aware that the author also works on a science fiction series. I could not resist the cheap offer of World of Fire (digital, August 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00N17UXVA] by James Lovegrove which is the first book in the Dev Harmer Mission series.
"Dev Harmer wakes in a new body with every mission, and he has woken this time on Alighieri, a planet perpetually in flames, where the world's wealth lies below the elemental surface, and humanity is not the only race after it.

Dev Harmer, reluctant agent of Interstellar Security Solutions, wakes up in a newly cloned host body on the planet Alighieri, ready for action.

It’s an infernal world, so close to its sun that it surface is regularly baked to 1,000°C, hot enough to turn rock to lava. But deep underground there are networks of tunnels connecting colonies of miners who dig for the precious helium-3 regolith deposits in Alighieri’s crust.

Polis+, the AI race who are humankind’s great galactic rivals, want to claim the fiery planet’s mineral wealth for their own. All that stands between them and this goal is Dev. But as well as Polis+’s agents, there are giant moleworms to contend with, and a spate of mysterious earthquakes, and the perils of the surface where a man can be burned to cinders if he gets caught unprotected on the day side..." [Source]

There is only one crime fiction series set in present time which I really love and where I have read six of the available seven books so far. I talk about the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series by Ed James. That may change because finally I decided to buy a copy of
Natural Causes (digital, 22nd November 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00A8U3BRG] by James Oswald which is the first book in the Inspector McLean series.
"Short-Listed for the prestigious Crime Writers Association (CWA) Debut Dagger prize, 'Natural Causes' is the first of an ongoing series featuring Edinburgh-based Detective Inspector Anthony McLean. In a world where demons are not supposed to exist, he is one of the few unlucky enough to be able to sense their presence.

When Edinburgh police find the killer of a prominent city elder less than twenty-four hours after the crime, they are justifiably pleased. So the murderer has killed himself; that just saves the time and cost of a trial. But a second murder days later bears haunting similarities to the first, even though once more the murderer swiftly confesses and kills himself.

Detective Inspector Anthony McLean is investigating the discovery of a dead girl, walled up in the basement of an old Edinburgh mansion. She has been brutally murdered, her internal organs removed and placed around her in six preserving jars. The evidence suggests this all happened over sixty years ago, an attempt to re-enact an ancient ceremony that by trapping a demon in the dead girl’s body would supposedly confer immortality on the six men who took one of her organs each.

McLean’s grandmother – the woman who raised him after his parents were killed when he was a young boy – dies after months in a coma following a stroke. On top of this he has to investigate a series of unusual, violent suicides and a cat-burglar who targets the homes of the recently dead. But as another prominent Edinburgh businessman is killed, he begins to suspect that there may be a connection between the murders, the suicides and the ritual killing of the girl found in the basement. The same names keep cropping up. He just can’t find a rational explanation as to how that connection works.

As he digs deeper, and as the coincidences stack up, McLean is forced to consider an irrational explanation. Could there really be something evil stalking the city he has sworn to protect? And if so, how on earth can he hope to stop it?" [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Abridged classics
I discovered a new blog - at least new for me. It is all about cartoons. But they are special. Wrong Hands by John Atkinson is a great place to visit.
How would you abridge classics like War and Peace, Moby Dick, Don Quixote and more? I like the solution delivered by John Atkinson




10 signs you've
For me it seems that posts starting with the words above appear more of less regularly in the blogosphere. I found the following one over at the B&N SCI-FI &FANTASY blog which is used to promote an epic fantasy series. Despite the fact that I'm not interested in the series I found some of the signs amusing.




A question and no Easter egg
Atlas Obscura came up with an interesting question and a possible answer




Ventriloquism
This is an art which I really admire when it is done well.
There is a well done post about the roots of ventriloquism over at Atlas Obscura. Have a look at






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I did not find a trailer worth to share with you. Instead I want to show two videos related to one of the topics above. I laughed a lot when I saw them the first time. When you live in USA you may know the artist because he is the winner of Americas Got Talent 2015. I talk about ventriloquist Paul Zerdin.
He is amazing. Have fun!







That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote has a point ......

"Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?

Kelvin Throop III, Fictional character

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Paul Zerdin! Saw him first on America's Got Talent. The trick with using a person on the dummy is hilarious. Demonic beginnings - I believe it.
Hope you enjoy Parallels: Felix Was Here.
World of Fire sounds interesting.
Hope you're adjusting to the time change. I do like how it's lighter longer.

L.G. Keltner said...

Reading multiple books at once can be an interesting experience. I hope you enjoy the rest of Parallels: Felix Was Here, as well as the other books you're currently reading. I may have to check out a couple of them when I get the chance.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
Parallels: Felix Was Here surprise me with every story. Great picks.
On Sunday I will read the last three stories.

I finished time adjustment. Now I need to find a way to avoid too many extra hours at work.

ediFanoB said...

Hello L.G. Keltner,

nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by.
People like you and me will always face the problem to find time to read all those interesting books.
Parallels: Felix Was Here is an awesome anthology. I have only three stories left until the end. I will enjoy them on upcoming Sunday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...