Sunday, March 27, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1613

Dear Readers,
today is the shortest day for all people forced to change to CEST = Central European Summer Time because we had to move the clock one hour forward at 2:00 AM. More and more people does not like it but the EU is not willing to change it. The older I get the more time I need to adjust.

In order to speed up the adjustment I decided to get up early and write the post on Sunday.

HAPPY EASTER!

Did you ever replace the main zip fastener of a backpack? My wife and I decided to do that instead of buying two new backpacks. She finished her work successfully on Friday which I used to relax in form of dozing, reading and to continue reorganize my digital library.
On Saturday I replaced the zip fastener of my backpack. It took me several hours to finish. It has been satisfying and we saved money.

Fortunately I have three more says off which I can use for reading, playing and working on my digital library.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Moustache comb
  2. Confidence man
  3. Negative emancipation
  4. Tiles

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A mechanism from 1890

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to life



The Lighthouse
Again I finished at least one book. For me every book is like a holiday. That means I enjoyed so far 15 extra holidays.




I finished

- A Fever of the Blood (digital, February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.


I wrote on GOODREADS:
"It took me some time to finish the book. The reason for that was just the simple fact that I did not have much time for reading.

What a brilliant second book! Disturbing, spooky, chilling, emotional and full of action. An excellent story and the main characters deeply involved on a personal level.

I'm working on a full review.




I'm

- Unfortunately the page count for this book on my new reader differs from the old one. I started to read chapter 15 of Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.
At least a small progress.






Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Sometimes books rest for a really long time on my to buy list for several reasons and one of the reason is definitely the price.
The following three books belong to this category. There has been a good offer recently and I finally bought digital copies of the three available books in the The Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin series by Richard Ellis Preston Jr..

Romulus Buckle & the City of the Founders (digital, 2nd July 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B009PS42YI] by Richard Ellis Preston Jr..
"In a postapocalyptic world of endless snow, Captain Romulus Buckle and the stalwart crew of the Pneumatic Zeppelin must embark on a perilous mission to rescue their kidnapped leader, Balthazar Crankshaft, from the impenetrable City of the Founders. Steaming over a territory once known as Southern California — before it was devastated in the alien war — Buckle navigates his massive airship through skies infested with enemy war zeppelins and ravenous alien beasties in this swashbuckling and high-octane steampunk adventure. Life is desperate in the Snow World, and death is quick. Buckle and his ship’s company must brave poisoned wastelands of Noxious Mustard and do battle with forgewalkers, steampipers, and armored locomotives as they plunge from the skies into the underground prison warrens of the fortress city.

Captain Romulus Buckle must lead the Pneumatic Zeppelin and its crew of ne’er-do-wells on a desperate mission where he must risk everything to save Balthazar and attempt to prevent a catastrophic war that could wipe out all that is left of civilization and the entire human race." [Source]


Romulus Buckle & the Engines of War (digital, 19th November 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00BM7URYO] by Richard Ellis Preston Jr..
"The frozen wasteland of Snow World—known as Southern California before an alien invasion decimated civilization—is home to warring steampunk clans. Crankshafts, Imperials, Tinskins, Brineboilers, and many more all battle one another for precious supplies, against ravenous mutant beasts for basic survival, and with the mysterious Founders for their very freedom.

Through this ruined world soars the Pneumatic Zeppelin, captained by the daring Romulus Buckle. In the wake of a nearly suicidal assault on the Founders’ prison city to rescue key military leaders, both the steam-powered airship and its crew are bruised and battered. Yet there’s little time for rest or repairs: Founders raids threaten to shatter the fragile alliance Buckle has risked everything to forge among the clans.

Even as he musters what seems a futile defense in the face of inevitable war, Buckle learns that the most mysterious clan of all is holding his long-lost sister in a secret base—and that she holds the ultimate key to victory over the Founders. But rescuing her means abandoning his allies and praying they survive long enough for there to be an alliance to return to." [Source]


Romulus Buckle & the Luminiferous Aether (digital, 22nd December 2015) [Kindle ASIN: B009PS42YI] by Richard Ellis Preston Jr..
"Earth is an icy wasteland, devastated by an alien invasion hundreds of years before. Left with only steam power, the human survivors have formed into steampunk clans. And now these clans are at war.

Reeling from a Founders clan invasion, Captain Romulus Buckle of the Pneumatic Zeppelin faces a desperate decision. Does he return home to bolster the Grand Alliance or attempt to rescue his sister, Elizabeth, who is prophesied to be the key to winning the war? With only an ancient automaton and the words of a madman to guide him, Buckle leads an expedition to the mysterious underwater city of Atlantis, where mythical monsters and human treachery make every move perilous." [Source]
For more Pneumatic Zeppelin Art including a map please visit the author's site.




I ordered the digital copy of the last book for today in January 2016. The description sounded really promising. In the meantime several not so positive reviews popped up. It seems to be one of those books which you either love or hate. Despite the fact that reviewers I trust did not like it, I will definitely have a look in order to decide if I like it or not.
Did you read
Snakewood (digital, 15th March 2016) [Kindle ASIN: B009PS42YI] by Adrian Selby.
"Once they were a band of mercenaries who shook the pillars of the world through cunning, alchemical brews, and cold steel. Whoever met their price won.

Now, their glory days behind them, scattered to the wind, and their genius leader in hiding, they are being hunted down and eliminated one by one. A lifetime of enemies has its own price.

Adrian Selby brings us into an unforgettable new world filled with magic, mystery, intrigue, bloodshed and betrayal." [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Mustache comb
It seems to be fashionably for men to wear a beard. I wore one during my time at university. There has been a time when it was most important to wear a beard. I talk about the Victorian era. During that time a mustache comb was mandatory. There is an enlightening post over at Atlas Obscura.



Negative emancipation
Before you start to complain, I'm no  misogynist!
I think you will agree that crime is nothing positive and the gender does not matter in case of crime. Most of us would agree that organized crime is more or less male business. BUT there are exceptions and whenever a woman enters the world of men it is a kind of emancipation. For me it means that a female crime boss is a kind of negative emancipation.
There is a great post about the female crime boss Marm Mandelbaum, a female crime boss who started her own crime school in Victorian New York over at Atlas Obscura.



Confidence man
I always try to enlarge my English vocabulary and to read posts is a great help for that. I did not know the expression confidence man before I read the following amazing post over atEnglish Historical Fiction Authors. The post offers a brief history of the development of the expression and deliver some examples.



Tiles
The Dutch are well known for their delftware. Is there anyone who has never seen at least a picture of the famous blue and white tiles?
Over at WebUrbanist you find an impressive example what you can do with thousands of blue and white tiles. Head over and have a look at 





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Yesterday (Saturday) we have had a sunny day and  the birds were singing. It felt like spring. Today the sky is grey and one hear only a few birds.
Instead of a trailer I would like to share with you a video which shows a mechanical singing bird mechanism from 1890 which still works! Amazing!






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I fully agree with the following quote!!!

"Life is a great big canvas; throw all the paint on it you can.

Danny Kaye, American singer, dancer, actor, and comedian, 1911 -1987

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One probably didn't publically claim graduating from that crime school.
Smart to fix the backpacks instead of buying new ones. Of course, I doubt I could fix a hole in my sock.
We lost our hour a few weekends ago. They really need to do away with that.
Have a happy Easter!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I have had a good Easter weekend. I wanted to get more things done. Nevertheless I'm happy with the result of fixing my backpack.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...