Saturday, March 12, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1611

Dear Readers,

I like my new reader even I did not have enough time so far to discover all the features. Two weeks to go until Easter weekend. Then I will have five days of in a row. THEN I will have time and leisure to enjoy reading.
Yesterday evening my wife and I went to cinema. I must say I was really disappointed by The Revenant. The film was too long. There have been too many pictures showing trees and sky. To use a cadaver for shelter reminded me of Star Wars. The fight for survival of Mark Watney in The Marsian was much more gripping and plausible. Not to forget the excellent Hateful8! The only interesting part for me was the fight with the bear.
Now I look forward to next week when we will see Hail, Caesar!



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
  2. Win a book
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. 400 years pass in seconds
  2. How to determine level of post-war pensions in1865
  3. Talking robotic head
  4. Adrenaline

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Captain America: Civil War
  2. Ratchet & Clank

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to communication



The Lighthouse
Reading progress is a nightmare and frustrating. Most of the evenings I'm too tired and exhausted and therefore not able to read.
Luckily I found time to finish at least one book today. But there is no progress regarding my other current reads.



I finished

- Dockyard Dog (digital, 1st February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Lyle Garford which is the first book in the Evan Ross series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The story delivered everything what has been promised in the description.
A good story with twists and turns. Loveable characters. Information about slavery, The work of admiralty, political background, action and adventure.

I would have rated it with 4.5 stars but that is not possible.




NO PROGRESS

- 168 pages in Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.


- 112 pages in A Fever of the Blood (digital, February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.


- 161 pages in The Guns of Ivrea (digital, 9th February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0193FBVR8] by Clifford Beal.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

It seems the less time I have for reading the more books I buy. Last week I received digital copies of books which I either ordered in advance or I bought because they have been offered for a cheaper price.
Here we go.


The Spider's War (digital, March 2016) [Kindle ASIN:  B00PW5V3E0]  by Daniel Abraham which is the fifth and final book in the epic fantasy series The Dagger and the Coin.

"The epic conclusion to The Dagger and The Coin series, perfect for fans of George R.R. Martin.

Lord Regent Geder Palliako's great war has spilled across the world, nation after nation falling before the ancient priesthood and weapon of dragons. But even as conquest follows conquest, the final victory retreats before him like a mirage. Schism and revolt begin to erode the foundations of the empire, and the great conquest threatens to collapse into a permanent war of all against all.

In Carse, with armies on all borders, Cithrin bel Sarcour, Marcus Wester, and Clara Kalliam are faced with the impossible task of bringing a lasting peace to the world. Their tools: traitors high in the imperial army, the last survivor of the dragon empire, and a financial scheme that is either a revolution or the greatest fraud in the history of the world." [Source]


The next one one is an alternate history at least for me. I know that other people filed it under science fiction. I like the cover and the description sounds interesting.
United States of Japan (digital, 3rd March 2016) [Kindle ASIN:  B01B50OTL4] by Peter Tieryas.
"Decades ago, Japan won the Second World War. Americans worship their infallible Emperor, and nobody believes that Japan’s conduct in the war was anything but exemplary. Nobody, that is, except the George Washingtons — a group of rebels fighting for freedom. Their latest terrorist tactic is to distribute an illegal video game that asks players to imagine what the world might be like if the United States had won the war instead. Captain Beniko Ishimura’s job is to censor video games, and he’s tasked with getting to the bottom of this disturbing new development. But Ishimura’s hiding something…kind of. He’s slowly been discovering that the case of the George Washingtons is more complicated than it seems, and the subversive videogame’s origins are even more controversial and dangerous than the censors originally suspected." [Source]

I like crime mysteries especially when they are set in the Victorian era. The following book is no exception. It is set in St. Louis in 1899 and not in London. To be honest my knowledge of USA in 1899 is really limited.
St. Louis Affair The Adventures of Herbert Falken (digital, 25th March 2015) [Kindle ASIN:  B00V7IR5IY] by Michael Scheffel
"MYSTERY & MAYHEM AWARDS 2015 FIRST PLACE WINNER!!
St Louis was the fourth largest city in America; the crossroads linking East and West; the jewel of the Mississippi River; a thriving industrial metropolis, where dreams came true and great fortunes were made. Yet, the mighty city had a dark side; the hustle and bustle of Industrial Era growth and prosperity masked a ruthless underworld of vice, corruption and murder.
When a brutally murdered corpse is found along the Mississippi, Herbert Falken is called upon, once again, to hunt down another black-hearted monster. However, Falken's quest for the truth is confounded by a relentless all-powerful adversary--his own tortured soul. Deceit, treachery and betrayal lay around every corner. Each clue seems to contradict the last; answers spawn new questions. The elusive truth can be uncovered, but what will it cost?
Friendship, integrity and honor are stretched to the breaking point, by the St Louis Affair. [Source]

What shall I say? After having a great time with The Butchered Man (digital, November 20111) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00P0I1Z88] by Harriet Smart - read my review - it was beyond questionthat I want get all books in the series and this is the latest one.
The Hanging Cage (digital, March 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01BANX0MU] by Harriet Smart
"Summoned to the bleak market town of Whithorne in the midst of a winter storm, Major Giles Vernon and police surgeon Felix Carswell are embroiled in another challenging investigation. A beautiful young heiress has been found dead in her bed, and although suicide seems the most likely cause, the circumstances soon point to a tangle of illicit relationships and painful secrets. As Major Vernon pursues the truth behind Annabella Barker's death, further shocking events soon unfold, including another suicide At the same time, called in to deliver a son and heir, Carswell is drawn into the affairs of the eccentric Yardley family at Whithorne Castle, but it is no distraction from his anxieties about his troubled relationship with Sukey Connolly. Major Vernon, for his part, unexpectedly encounters an old acquaintance and is forced to question both his past and his future.
When a partial skeleton is found in a culvert, events begin to take a still darker turn, and Vernon and Carswell must pursue an unimaginable evil. As November floods threaten the bridges of Northminster itself, dangerous enemies emerge close to home and the struggle for justice becomes a matter of life and death.
The Hanging Cage is the fourth Northminster Mystery, featuring early Victorian detectives Vernon and Carswell." [Source]
The last book for today is the first book in the new science fiction series Central Corps. I found the description promising enough to buy a copy. Even the two main characters are lovers I do not expect a lot of romance based on the described circumstances.
The Cold Between Hanging Cage (digital, March 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ZP5WLQG] by Elizabeth Bonesteel
"Deep in the stars, a young officer and her lover are plunged into a murder mystery and a deadly conspiracy in this first entry in a stellar military science-fiction series in the tradition of Lois McMaster Bujold.

When her crewmate, Danny, is murdered on the colony of Volhynia, Central Corps chief engineer, Commander Elena Shaw, is shocked to learn the main suspect is her lover, Treiko Zajec. She knows Trey is innocent—he was with her when Danny was killed. So who is the real killer and why are the cops framing an innocent man?

Retracing Danny’s last hours, they discover that his death may be tied to a mystery from the past: the explosion of a Central Corps starship at a wormhole near Volhynia. For twenty-five years, the Central Gov has been lying about the tragedy, even willing to go to war with the outlaw PSI to protect their secrets.

With the authorities closing in, Elena and Trey head to the wormhole, certain they’ll find answers on the other side. But the truth that awaits them is far more terrifying than they ever imagined . . . a conspiracy deep within Central Gov that threatens all of human civilization throughout the inhabited reaches of the galaxy—and beyond." [Source]



Win a book
Last week I told you that I bought a copy of

Red Rising (digital, 28th January 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: 
B00GIUG3ES] by Pierce Brow which is the first book in the Red Rising trilogy. It is not the first science fiction novel set on Mars .....

"The Earth is dying.
Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie.

That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought. Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside.

But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.

Break the chains.

Live for more." [Source]
In case you are interested in the book and you have an USA or Canadian address then you should head over to Fantasy Literature and take part in




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


400 years pass in second
London, a town with a long history and also a town which changed a lot. Nowadays it is possible to show within a few seconds how much the town changed in the past 400 years. Visit WebUrbanist and have a look at 




How to determine level of post-war pensions in 1865
This has been an important question after the American Civil War. Did you know that they used photographs of wounded soldiers in order to do that? For details you should visit The Public Domain Review and have a look at



Talking robotic head
It surprises me again and again how inventive people were in the Victorian era. Her is another example I found over at Atlas Obscura.




Adrenaline
Today you can try to find out if there are photos which may pump up your adrenaline. In order to do that you have to visit following post over at WebUrbanist.  



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Seems a lot of people look forward to see Marvel's Captain America: Civil War in cinema. Nearly 30,500,000 people watched the second trailer. Incredible! Of course you may have seen the trailer. Nevertheless I think it is worth to be shown.



Did you ever play a Ratchet & Clank video game? I loved the colourful world, the awesome weapons and the possibility to destroy nearly everything. And now the time has come that Ratchet & Clank  enter the world PS4 in April 2016. There is a fresh 30 minutes game play video available. What shall I say? I watched it with a feeling of nostalgia. It looks great and I really would like to get a copy of the game AND time to play ....


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I fully agree with the following quote!!!

"I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up.

Tom Lehrer, American singer, songwriter, humorist, 1928 -

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In my research for my A to Z Challenge theme, I came across that talking robotic head. Really freaky.
Getting more and more excited about Civil War.
Tried reading a Daniel Abraham book last month. Gave up because it was just too long.
Still haven't seen The Revenant. Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane on Friday night and it was excellent.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Like Alex, I am truly interested in seeing Civil War. Thanks for visiting my blog and giving such an insightful comment. Happy reading this Easter holiday. :-)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I look forward to your A to Z Challenge posts. Interesting that we came acroos the same topic independently.

Daniel Abraham is not known for short books :-)

We need to see if the Civil War trailers do not promise too much.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Roland,

thanks for stopping by. Your post deserved a comment and I will write about your post in my next post. I like to read what people inspire to read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...