Saturday, March 05, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1610

Dear Readers,

A disappointing month came to an end. A month dominated by work. Not much time left for reading. I hope March will be better. At least I will have a few days off due to Easter public holidays in Germany.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
  2. My new reader
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The 2000 marbles machine
  2. Anthropomorphic landscapes
  3. Female computers
  4. Van Gogh, paintings, film

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sherlock Holmes:The Devil's Daughter

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to money 



The Lighthouse
To my surprise I finished a book today.



I finished

- The Anthrax Protocol (digital, 23rd February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00Y6RB1U6] by James Thompson
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"My wife and I read the book parallel and we discussed several aspects.

The first part was an excellent mix of information and entertainment. I rate the first part of the book with five stars.

The second part of the book was a big disappointment. A superfluous love story and solutions like miracles dropped the reading pleasure a lot. It seemed the author used a kind of construction kit consisting if known parts from similar books/films. I rate the second part with two stars.

As it is not possible to rate the book with 3.5 stars and the tendency is more to three than to four stars, the final rating is three stars."



NO PROGRESS

- 168 pages in Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.


- 112 pages in A Fever of the Blood (digital, February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.


- 127 pages in Dockyard Dog (digital, 1st February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Lyle Garford which is the first book in the Evan Ross series.


- 161 pages in The Guns of Ivrea (digital, 9th February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0193FBVR8] by Clifford Beal.



My new reader

Last week I told you about the problems with my Sony PRS-T01 reader and I talked about my expectations.
I read a lot of tests of readers available in Germany. I was not sure if I could find a device which fits to my needs. Of course also money played a certain role.
It took some time but finally I found the perfect reader for me:


I do not want to bother you with technical details which you can read yourself when you follow the link above.
Nevertheless I want to highlight some properties which are important for me:
Book shop independent, works with EPUB and other formats,  physical buttons for page forward and backward, external memory slot for sd cards, administrable with Calibre, more options to sort and classify books, possibility to add additional fonts and dictionaries, acceptable price.
I paid 99 Euros (= 109 USD; 77 GBP; 30,590.00 HUF) for the reader.

Within the next months I will reorganise and reclassify all my digital books. I own digital copies of more than 1000 books. That means it will take some time.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I'm waiting for books which I ordered in advance. In the meantime I found a good offer for a digital copy of following book:


Red Rising (digital, 28th January 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: 
B00GIUG3ES] by Pierce Brow which is the first book in the Red Rising trilogy. It is not the first science fiction novel set on Mars .....

"The Earth is dying.
Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie.

That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought. Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside.

But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.

Break the chains.

Live for more." [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


The 2000 marbles machine
Maybe you belong to the more than 7,800,000 people who already watched the following video. I tried to find proper words to express myself. It deserves so much more than just a marvellous or an amazing. Have a look at yourself AND don't forget to shut your mouth ......



Anthropomorphic landscapes
This is going back to the 17th century when it painters gave landscapes the form of human heads. There is an interesting post available over at The Public Domain Review and have a look at



Female computers
Since when computers have a gender? I do not want to answer the question because this has been done over at Atlas Obscura. This post fits to the 8th of March which is the International Women's Day.




Van Gogh, paintings, film
Put these words together and you get what you can see in following one minute trailers. Don't forget to read the additional information over at WebUrbanist.  



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I like Sherlock Holmes a lot but I never played a video game starring the great detective.
That may change now.

I know that a cinematic trailer tells nothing about the content and playability of a game but it can rise expectations. I must say I like the cinematic trailer for the following upcoming Sherlock Holmes PS4 game a lot:

This is the trailer synopsis:
"What led young Katelyn to 221B Baker Street? Could she have discovered the dark truth about her family? And who is the charming clairvoyant who has moved in to 221C? Is there room for séances and occult rituals in the bastion of logic and rationalism?

For the first time in his prestigious career, the most illustrious of detectives must fight not to reveal a secret, but to keep one…" [Source

And this is a PR quote from the publisher:
"Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter is an incredible adventure game with unique game play blending investigation, action and exploration for an extraordinary experience that will test the limits of players’ nerves and intelligence. Playing as the great detective, they will have to track down evil in the darkest corners of London and the human spirit, freely exploring several neighbourhoods in the city in search of clues and suspects while they untangle a web of intrigue leading to the final stunning revelation.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter offers unique game mechanics and an epic storyline for an interactive and immersive experience unlike any they have ever had before. For the first time, the powers of analysis and composure of Sherlock Holmes will be shaken by emotion as he is caught between family, dark forces and powerful thirsts for vengeance…." [Source]
Now I wait for a real in game trailer ........



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I can't tell you whether the following quote is true or not because I know no one who posses that much money. But based on my life experience I would say it is true ....

"Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars..

Hobart Brown, American sculptor, 1934 - 2007

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got a new eReader. Not familiar with that one, but at least it accepts ePub.
Saw the musical marbles machine on another site this week. Quite an amazing contraption!

Zoltán Gecse said...

I think you choose a great eReader. As I see it's support .mobi and .prc formats as well.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I think the PocketBook reader is not so well known in USA.
The musical marbles machine is very popular.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

I'm really happy with the new reader because the device and the software offer a lot of options.
Unfortunately I did not have enough time so far to discover all the features.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...