Sunday, February 21, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1608

Dear Readers,

there was no Weekend Wave yesterday. The reason is simple bad maybe not understandable for every one. I was not in the right mood and instead of bothering myself with sitting in front of my notebook I decided to postpone the post to Sunday. But I did something which in the end  changed my mood:
First I started to read a book set in the Caribbean Sea and then I indulged myself in enjoying a long Fallout 4 session on our PS4.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Discover Sci-Fi - A new site
  2. Flu season
  3. A painted bedroom brought to life
  4. Getting in the mind of murderers
  5. A very specific library 
  6. A new blogging project

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fellout 4

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to cats
The Lighthouse
I finished one book which did not meet my expectations.
It is nearly impossible that I will read all the books I put on my list for February 2016. I think I will be more than happy if can finish half of the list. But crazy as I am I started to read a book which has not been on my list.


I finished

- The Fifth Heart (paperback, January 2016) [ISBN-13:978-0751548574] by Dan Simmons.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I loved "Terror" and I loved "Drood".
I expected something similar which I did not get.
For me it seems Dan Simmons wanted too much.
I expected a Holmes novel. Therefore there was a way too much of Henry James.
The historical details were interesting but not in this context. It disturbed the story itself.
I'm sure there are people who will like the level of historical detail and who will like Henry James."



I'm

- 153 pages in Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.
Half way through. Good stuff.


- 79 pages in A Fever of the Blood (digital, February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.
Continues on the high level of the first book.

- 44 pages in Dockyard Dog (digital, 1st February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Lyle Garford which is the first book in the Evan Ross series.
So far convincing. The first meet of the main characters with Captain Horatio Nelson is ahead....

 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

The boon and bane of following manifold blogs and sites. Sometimes I do not follow my in advance prepared to buy plan and that is the result.

I follow Historic Naval Fiction because I like to read such kind of stories from time to time. Sailing in the Caribbean Sea especially during winter or on rainy days is satisfying. On 17th of February I read their presentation of following book and I could not withstand to buy a copy and yesterday (Saturday) it was raining that much that I started reading before I played Fallout 4.
Dockyard Dog (digital, 1st February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Lyle Garford.
"In 1784 when Lieutenant Evan Ross is badly injured in a fight with British Royal Navy deserters his Captain abandons him in the Royal Navy hospital on the Caribbean island of Antigua.

Upon recovering he meets Captain Horatio Nelson, newly appointed to command of the Northern Leeward Islands squadron and the Royal Navy Dockyard at English Harbour in Antigua. Nelson's primary task is stamping out rampant American smuggling activity. But to succeed, Nelson needs information.


Lieutenant Ross serves as a spy for Nelson against the smugglers, but they aren't his only foe. French and American spies supporting the smugglers are playing for far higher stakes, sowing the seeds of violent unrest. Lieutenant Ross is soon in the midst of desperate action and working with a beautiful slave woman to gain information as he struggles to stop to their plot.

Dockyard Dog is the first novel in the Evan Ross series." [Source]
When I look at my GOODREADS bookshelves I have to state that I own copies of a lot of detective/police stories mostly set in past or future. I discovered following book over at GOODREADS and found the description interesting enough to buy a digital copy of Murder In-Absentia (digital, 19th October 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B015TXPPG6] by Assaph Mehr.
"A young man is found dead in his bed, with a look of extreme agony on his face and strange tattoos all over his body. His distraught senator father suspects foul play, and knows who to call on.

Enter Felix, a professional investigator. In the business of ferreting out dark information for his clients, Felix is neither a traditional detective nor a traditional magician – but something in between. Drawing on his experience of dealing with the shady elements of society and his aborted education in the magical arts, Felix dons his toga and sets out to discover the young man’s killers.

Murder in absentia is set in a fantasy world. The city of Egretia borrows elements from a thousand years of ancient Roman culture, from the founding of Rome to the late empire, mixed with a judicious amount of magic. This is a story of a cynical, hardboiled detective dealing with anything from daily life to the old forces roaming the world.

This is a story of Togas, Daggers and Magic - it will appeal to lovers of urban fantasy, detective murder mysteries and ancient Rome." [Source]



After a long time I bought a copy of a fantasy novel written in my mother language. It is the first book in a trilogy and I hope the book will deliver what has been promised in the description.
Kaisersturz (digital, 13th November 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B017XLAIYQ] by Felix A. Münter which is the first book in the Imperium von Westrin trilogy.
"800 Jahre herrschte das Imperium von Westrin über die Welt, doch das Kaiserreich ist nur noch ein Schatten früherer Zeiten. Während eines besonders harten Winters stürzen sich gleich drei Nachbarreiche wie Aasgeier auf das Land, bereit, das sterbende Kaiserreich unter sich aufzuteilen.

Doch das Imperium ist noch nicht tot. Alle Hoffnung der Zukunft liegt auf den kaiserlichen Zwillingen - kleinen Kindern. Wenn es nur gelingt, sie aus dem von Krieg, Intrigen und Gewalt versehrten Land zu retten, dann hat das Westrin vielleicht eine Chance. Dann überlebt es vielleicht auch den Sturz eines Kaisers…" [Source]






No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Discover Sci-Fi - A new site
The book market is nearly unmanageable. As an author without a big publisher in the back it is most important to get noticed. Why do all the promotional work alone? Why not band together? It maybe one step in the right direction and following ten indie authors took action:
Jay Allan, Evan Currie, Joshua Dalzelle, Michael Grumley, Autumn Kalquist, Matthew Mather, Samuel Peralta, Nicholas Sansbury Smith, Darren Wearmouth, and Nick Webb

They founded a new site:



To start with the authors offer a free digital book from one of the authors.
Beside that they are running an awesome CONTEST which ends in seven days..
"$100,000 total prize value includes the Grand Prize, plus 2500 second prizes of value of $40 each."

The grand prize is 40 signed trade paperbacks.
The 2500 prizes contain 10 ebooks each. 


Flu season
It is winter in Europe and it means it is flu season. Nowadays we know more or less how to treat flu. But how did people cope with the flu late 18th and early 19th century? There is an interesting post covering this topic over at English Historical Fiction Authors.





A painted bedroom brought life
I admit that this sounds a bit weird. But you will understand immediately when visit WebUrbanist and have a look at



Getting in the mind of murderers
In case this is something you are interested in then it would great for you if you could travel to London and visit the Museum of London before 10th of April 2016. For details have a look at following post over at Atlas Obscura



A very specific library
There are more libraries than just the ones containing books. Have a look at the following one presented over at WebUrbanist. This is more serious as one thinks at first sight.



A new blogging project
Unbelievable but true. Adam Whitehead the mastermind behind The Wertzone decided to start a new blogging project which could be interesting for a lot of people.
He wrote:
"This new blog will concern itself with fantasy geography, mapping and other issues related to maps. As the title implies, it will deal primarily with maps related to A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones, but it will also deal with maps related to other fantasy novels and other topics related to ASoIaF and GoT."
Welcome to



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I still have not finished Fallout 4. The reason is limited time. Instead of a film trailer I would like to share with you the following Fallout 4 cartoon parody which I like.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Our cat shows us every day why the following quote is true ..........

"Cats regard people as warmblooded furniture.

Jacquelyn Mitchard, American author and journalist, 1956 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wish I could go see the crime museum.
Murder In-Absentia sounds interesting.
Nothing wrong with a long session of Fallout 4. After being away for a week, I indulged myself today.

ediFanoB said...

Sorry for the late reply.

Would be great to visit the crime museum together with you.
On February 28th I finally bought the Fallout Season Pass.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...