Saturday, February 13, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1607

Dear Readers,

last Sunday I made a wrong move and my back started to pain - low-back pain! I treated myself with electric heating pad and TENS. On Monday and Tuesday I worked from home. I was on a good way until Thursday evening when I made another wrong move which threw me back. Nevertheless my wife and I went to cinema and watched The Hateful 8. It is a long film with a break in the middle. We enjoyed the film and as expected there was a lot of blood and no happy ending. Excellent actors and a good story with twist and turns let time pass fast in this intimate play.
Next film on our list is Deadpool which will start in our local cinema on 18th of February 2016.
Unfortunately my back problems have had an impact on my reading progress and my blogging activities.
I hope you may understand why this post is shorter than usual.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Roller coaster for cars
  2. A 19th century word game
  3. Informative eggs and artichokes

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Hail, Caesar

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to potatoes
The Lighthouse
I finished no book in the past week. But I continued reading Memories of Ice which is a real brick with in sum 913 pages and there are only 190 pages left. Beside that I started one new book.


I finished

- Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"It has been a long journey but I'm so glad that I never gave up. It has been such a satisfying read. The end has been really sad for me because one of my favourite characters died. No worries I don't tell the name.

I look forward to continue the series."


- The Dragon's Path (digital, April 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B004SBMJSI] by Daniel Abraham

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I finished the book on 2016-02-13. It was a satisfying book and I'm really nosy to read what will happen next to the main characters. Of course there was a lot of introduction and information but all servers for a great story. I like Cithrin, Geder, and Marcus. Each character has something I like and even I do not agree every action, I can understand the reason for them. And the characters develop."

I'm

- 37 pages in The Fifth Heart (paperback, January 2016) [ISBN-13:978-0751548574] by Dan Simmons.
Need to read more for first impression.


 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I received two digital copies and one paperback copy of books I ordered in advance.

The Strings of Murder (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel - read my review - impressed me and now I'm happy that I have a copy of the second book on my read.
A Fever of the Blood (digital, February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.

"New Year's Day, 1889. In Edinburgh's lunatic asylum, a patient escapes as a nurse lays dying. Leading the manhunt are legendary local Detective 'Nine-Nails' McGray and Londoner-in-exile Inspector Ian Frey. Before the murder, the suspect was heard in whispered conversation with a fellow patient - a girl who had been mute for years. What made her suddenly break her silence? And why won't she talk again? Could the rumours about black magic be more than superstition? McGray and Frey track a devious psychopath far beyond their jurisdiction, through the worst blizzard in living memory, into the shadow of Pendle Hill - home of the Lancashire witches - where unimaginable danger awaits..." [Source]



It is time for a new fantasy series. I like the cover and the description of
The Guns of Ivrea (digital, 9th February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0193FBVR8] by Clifford Beal.

"Acquel Galenus, former thief and now monk, uncovers a terrible secret under the Great Temple at Livorna, one that could shake the faith to its core. A secret that could get him killed. A secret that could enable an older, more sinister form of worship to be reborn.

Pirate princeling Nicolo Danamis, mercenary to the King and captain of the largest fleet in Valdur, has made one deal too many, and enemies are now closing in to destroy him.

Citala, fair-haired and grey-skinned, the daughter of the chieftain of the merfolk, finds herself implacably drawn to the affairs of men. She puts events in motion that will end her people’s years of isolation but that could imperil their very existence. All their fates will intertwine as they journey across the land, through duchies and free cities riven by political intrigue, religious fervour, and ancient hatreds. Alliances are being forged anew and after decades of wary peace, war is on the wind once again..." [Source]


I have been intrigued by the description of following book. Now I hope the author's style is to my liking.
Graft (paperback, February 2016) [ISBN-13: 978-0857664990] by Matt Hill
"It’s Under the Skin meets The Handmaid’s Tale meets The Fifth Element… with extra limbs.

Manchester, 2025. Local mechanic Sol steals old vehicles to meet the demand for spares. But when Sol’s partner impulsively jacks a luxury model, Sol finds himself caught up in a nightmarish trans-dimensional human trafficking conspiracy.

Hidden in the stolen car is a voiceless, three-armed woman called Y. She’s had her memory removed and undertaken a harrowing journey into a world she only vaguely recognises. And someone waiting in the UK expects her delivery at all costs.

Now Sol and Y are on the run from both Y’s traffickers and the organisation’s faithful products. With the help of a dangerous triggerman and Sol’s ex, they must uncover the true, terrifying extent of the trafficking operation, or it’s all over.

Not that there was much hope to start with.

A novel about the horror of exploitation and the weight of love, Graft imagines a country in which too many people are only worth what’s on their price tag." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Roller coaster for cars
I don't tell you more. Go, visit WebUrbanist and be astonished.



A 19th century word game
Nowadays I don't read or hear much about party games. Therefore I like it when I get information about what people played in the past, especially in the 19th century. Recently I found following post over at Atlas Obscura.






Informative eggs and artichokes
There is a long history about what one can use to smuggle information. The following post over at Atlas Obscura shows the use of food for this purpose.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

The 66th Berlin International Film Festival opened with Hail, Caesar. I read about the film in the news and I thought it would be a good idea to watch the trailer. What shall I say? I really liked what I saw and that is the reason why I wan to share the trailer with you - even I know the film hit cinemas in USA last week. In Germany we have to wait until 18th February. 


This will be the third film my wife and I will see in 2016 and it will be completely different to the previous two: The Hateful 8 and Deadpool.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Nothing to add to following quote .............

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Douglas Adams, English writer and humorist, 1952 - 2001

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry about your back! One of those things that just sucks about getting older.
Friends saw Hail Caesar and said it was entertaining.
I've seen photos of that Japanese bridge. That is insane.
Glad you enjoyed Hateful 8. Dude! Wait until you see Deadpool!!! If you liked the trailers, thought they were funny, then you will love the film. It is the most unique superhero film I have ever seen. I won't spoil anything, but you have to see it.
Hope you have a good Valentine's Day with your wife. My wife and I are already having a great time here.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I know what it can means a back-problem. I made these wrong movement either, so I also experienced this cruel pain. Get well soon!

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,

it is not only a problem of getting older. There a colleagues in my office who are nearly 30 years younger than me and they also have problems with their back. <<<desk work is poison for the back. You need a proper chair and exercise during spare time.
Nevertheless thank you for your kind words.
My wife and I spent a relaxed day with some nice gifts.

We can't wait to see Deadpool!

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

thank you for your kind words. I really try my best to get well soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...