Saturday, February 06, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1606

Dear Readers,

I was aware that the time I could spend for reading in January won't continue forever. But it ended earlier than I expected. Nevertheless I don't want to complain. One thing is for sure. I won't be possible to read ten books in February....



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. High quality work
  2. Wearable skylines
  3. McSki
  4. Painting or photography?

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. What can happen when you reply a spam mail?

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to bureaucracy
The Lighthouse
I finished no book in the past week. But I continued reading Memories of Ice which is a real brick with in sum 913 pages and there are only 190 pages left. Beside that I started one new book.


I finished

- no book

I'm

- 728 pages in Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
"Only" 190 pages left. It is great.You want to read epic fantasy? Then you must give The Malazan Book of the Fallen a try. The good thing is that the whole series - ten books - is available.

- 245 pages inThe Dragon's Path (digital, April 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B004SBMJSI] by Daniel Abraham

As planned I started with the re-read of the first book in the epic fantasy series The Dagger and the Coin.

 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I received just one digital copy of a book I ordered in advance.
buy a copy of The Alchemy of Chaos (digital, February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B011IUSO4O] by Marshall Ryan Maresca which is the second book in the The Maradaine series. 
"The saga of the streets of Maradaine that began in The Thorn of Dentonhill continues….

Veranix Calbert is The Thorn—the street vigilante who became a legend to the people of Maradaine, especially the gangs that run the neighborhood of Aventil. The Thorn continues to harass Willem Fenmere, the drug kingpin of the Dentonhill neighborhood. Veranix is still determined to stop Fenmere and the effitte drug trade, especially when he discovers that Fenmere is planning on using the Red Rabbits gang to bring the drug into Aventil.

But it’s also Exam Week at the University of Maradaine, where Veranix is a magic student. With his academic career—and future as a mage—riding on his performance, Veranix needs to devote himself entirely to studying and participating in a fellow student’s thesis experiments. There’s no time to go after Fenmere or the Red Rabbits.

Then a series of strange pranks begin to plague the campus, using a form of magic that Veranix doesn’t recognize. As the pranks grow increasingly deadly, it becomes clear that there’s someone with a vendetta against the university, and The Thorn may be the only one capable of stopping them. Between the prankster, the war brewing between the Aventil gangs, and the flamboyant assassins Fenmere has hired to kill him, Veranix may end up dead before the week is out. Which just might be preferable to taking his exams…." [Source]

Most interesting is the fact that the author writes two series which take place in the same town. So far I read and liked A Murder of Mages (digital, July 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00PT4J12K] which the first book in the The Maradaine Constabulary series.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


High quality work
There has been a time when Germany was known for high quality work. It seems that nowadays a lot of products contain predetermined breaking points.
Atlas Obscura shows a real high quality work.




Wearable skylines
Skylines of big cities are available as screen saver - are these still in use - or wall hanging and more.  Now you can wear them as you can see over at
WebUrbanist. Maybe we will get famous fantasy towns too.......






McSki
It seems McDonald is everywhere ..... Not sure if there is one in the Mariana Trench. At least there is one in northwest Sweden. Have a look at  the WebUrbanist.


Painting or photography
Sometimes it takes more than one look to find out the origin as you can see over at the WebUrbanist.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I did not find a movie trailer worth to share with you. Instead I show you a video which has been recommended to me by my wife. It is funny and has a serious background.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Nothing to add to following quote .............

"Men are born with two eyes, but only one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say.

Charles Caleb Colton, English cleric, writer and collector, 1780 - 1832

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

McSki! That's awesome. All those snowmobiles in the drive through.
Sorry your reading time will drop this month. Just blame it on fewer days than other months.

Michael said...

Hi Alex,

I try to enjoy every book I read. Of course I'm more happy when I can read more books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...