Saturday, February 27, 2016

Dear Readers,

no Fallout 4 session today. Instead I supported my wife who is suffering from back pain. But on Sunday morning ......
Reading progress did not work as wished. I was just too tired in the evening.
It seems I have to start to think about to buy a new e-book reader because my Sony PRS-T1 shows more and more problems. The only thing I know is that the device must work with EPUB and I want physical buttons for page forward and backward.
The highlight of the week has been our evening in the cinema when we enjoyed every minute of DEADPOOL.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Results
  2. Spot the monsters
  3. Victorian party entertainment

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. SIGGRAPH 2016

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to cell phone
The Lighthouse
I finished no book last week. But I put my nose in some books from my list.


I finished

- no book


I'm

- 168 pages in Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh which is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.
Only a small progress

- 112 pages in A Fever of the Blood (digital, February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.
I like that the story reveals more about Nine-Nails McGray.

- 127 pages in Dockyard Dog (digital, 1st February 2016) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Lyle Garford which is the first book in the Evan Ross series.
So far I can tell that most of the action does not take place on water. But that is nothing negative because the reader gets instead information about slavery and Royal Navy behaviour in foreign countries.

- 161 pages in The Guns of Ivrea (digital, 9th February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0193FBVR8] by Clifford Beal.
I like the characters and how the story develops.

 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I bought only one digital copy. But it is a special one because this time my wife AND I will read the book. There are not so many books we read both. Will be interesting to discuss about the book.

The Anthrax Protocol (digital, 23rd February 2016) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00Y6RB1U6] by James Thompson
"It Kills Slowly…

In an excavation site in Mexico, a team of archeologists uncovers the lost tomb of Montezuma--and a deadly strain of anthrax as ancient as the Biblical plagues. One by one, the team falls violently ill, bleeding from their eyes and ears before succumbing to a slow, painful death. Whatever was buried with the Aztec chief is still active, infectious--and now airborne…

It Spreads Quickly…

In Austin, a young archeologist listens to the dying words of her mentor in Mexico--a warning to quarantine the site before all hell breaks loose. In Atlanta, the CDC's Dr. Mason Williams leads an emergency squad on a life-or-death mission--into the hot zone. At Fort Detrick, an army officer sends a trained team to secure the anthrax--as a biological weapon. But time is running out. The disease is spreading rapidly across the border, into the airports, and across the globe, killing thousands. With no cure, no vaccine, and no way to contain it, there will be no hope for humanity--to survive…" [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Results
Today (27th February) author Mark Lawrence posted the results of the Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off. A good opportunity to discover books by authors of self-published fantasy books.




Spot the monsters
Do you like medieval maps and are you interested in monsters? Then the following post is perfect for you. Visit Atlas Obscura and have a look at


Victorian party entertainment
I still remember some birthday parties of my daughter when tons of toilet paper rolls caused a lot of fun. The children played game we called "mummy roll". In Victorian era they did it the other way round which you can read over at Atlas Obscura.  



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

SIGGRAPH 2016
SIGGRAPH means Special Interest Group on GRAPHics and Interactive Techniques. The 2016 festival is ahead and in order to encourage submissions a retrospective trailer has been put together and I want to share this video with you. I was surprised how many entries I could identify.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I know young people who think it is impossible to survive without a smart phone. I say it is possible. I do not own a private one. But I have to use a company phone .........

"I don't own a cell phone or a pager. I just hang around everyone I know, all the time. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they just say 'Mitch,' and I say 'what?' and turn my head slightly.

Mitch Hedberg, American comedian, 1968 - 2005

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some amazing animation clips in that video. We've come so far with graphics.
I'd suggest an iPad since you can do so much more with it, but no physical buttons.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I'd like to argue with Alex. You would better, if you buy an e-ink ebook reader, because it's much better to eyes. An iPad not a bad thing, but it can be use other things also, which will have been steal your reading time.

Unfortunately the Kindle devices doesn't support the .epub format and the new version lost their physical buttons too. I have an older model, but I love it.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your suggestion. But I finally bought a new reader. Will talk about it in my next post.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

in this case I agree with you. I really loved to read on my Sony PRS-T01.
Finally I decided to buy a new reader. I will talk about it in my next post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...