Saturday, January 30, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1605

Dear Readers,

welcome to the last issue of the Weekend Wave in January 2016. At then end of a month there is not much money left for buying books. But there was enough for at least one more book and it is a special one.

Today I started to write this post later because friends visited us.

Now let's have a look what I put together today.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Humanity defeats capitalism ... temporarily
  2. What kind of person would you be in a fantasy world?
  3. A special map
  4. Unused subway system
  5. Air pollution

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Deadpool

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to bureaucracy
The Lighthouse
Ten books!! I read ten books in one month.
Beside that I continued reading Memories of Ice which is a real brick with in sum 913 pages. I'm sure I will finish it in February.


I finished

- Sword of the Bright Lady (pb, 2014) [ ISBN-13: 978-1616149888] by M.C. Planck.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is a solid first book in this portal fantasy series. I missed information about how the portal works. The main character Christopher was not always convincing."

Shadow of Empire (digital, 3rd November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00TE98BNQ].by Jay Allan.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The second book in the Far Stars trilogy does not suffer the weak second book symptom. On the contrary I enjoyed this one more than the first book.
One of the reasons is the fact that more party and persons enter the fight for power. Greed is an as important factor as trust, revenge and treason.

I look forward to read the third and final book."

I'm

- 602 pages in Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
A progress of 200 pages is good. "Only" 310 pages left. I'm sure I will finish the book in February..


 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

It seems the price for digital books is increasing. That means to think more about which books I really want to get a copy of.
Nevertheless seven books - one paperback and six digital copies - found a new home. Four books I ordered in advance in 2015. The remaining three books I bought spontaneously.

Last week I bought exactly one digital copy and there is a story behind the book. The author of the book - Dave-Brendon de Burgh - and I never met in person. I live in Germany and he lives in South Africa. Virtually we met for the first time in 2009 while we both liked the books of the same author. In June 2010 I wrote a film guest review for Dave's blog. Within the following years we lost contact. One week ago we met again on Twitter where I found out that his first epic fantasy novel has been published end of November 2015. It is worth to mention that I bought the copy of the book before I contacted Dave.
I promised him to spread word about his book, to read it and to write an honest review. This will be done in February.
Now without further ado to the book.
Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh is the first book in the Mahaelian Chronicle.
"Betrayal casts long shadows – none know this better than Brice Serholm.

As a decorated general in the kingdom's elite Blade Knights, Brice had to overcome the taint of treason and betrayal to attain his rank. When Brice and a force of Knights are sent on a mission to investigate claims of rebellion in one of Avidar's provinces, their ship is magically attacked, and the resulting investigation tests every oath Brice swore before his king.

Meanwhile, an inhuman infant escapes the capital's Slave-Hold, the king's mistress comes into possession of a unique dagger, and Del'Ahrid, the king's most trusted First Advisor, begins to question everything he built his honour and life upon.

Events are in motion that will test every man, woman and child – and a conflict is coming that will shake the kingdom to its very foundations.
So begins the Mahaelian Chronicle." [Source]
You can read the first chapter for free by following THIS LINK.
In case you are interested in the book and you can handle Kindle editions you should have a look at Amazon because there is a great offer for a limited time and I don't know how long the offer will be valid.
You can get Betrayal's Shadow (digital, 30th November 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B018S2U4Z2] by Dave-Brendon de Burgh for: 0,99 EUR / 1.07 USD / 0.99 GBP


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Humanity defeats capitalism ... temporarily
This neither fiction nor science fiction. It is just an example for what is still possible. Read more about the details over at Atlas Obscura.




What kind of person would you be in a fantasy world?
An important part of role-playing games is the character creation.
One of the well known role-playing games is Dungeons and Dragons.
Even if you do not play such kind of games it may of interest which kind of character you would be. There is a 129 question survey available over at Easydamus.com which will give you a detailed answer.
So far I did not find time for it. But I want to do t.



A special map
Do you like maps? Then the following map could be of interest for you. If you believe that modern cities look more and more similar then the following map could be of interest for you too. Go to Think Big and have a look at



Unused subway system
The increase of traffic is getting a serious problem for cities. Go underground is not a bad solution as you can see in a lot of cities. Can you imagine a town which built a subway system and never used it? This is not a theoretical question. Read the true story over at Atlas Obscura.




Air pollution
We all know that air pollution is an increasing problem. Politicians talk endlessly about it but real consequences are missing. Fortunately there are people who think about solutions and turn solutions into reality. There is a great example presented over at the WebUrbanist.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.


Deadpool
This is one more superhero film. In fact Deadpool is an antihero film.
Maybe you know the two trailers which I saw for the first time a few hours ago.
I'm still not sure if this is a movie for me or not.








That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Nothing to add to following quote .............

"Bureaucrats write memoranda both because they appear to be busy when they are writing and because the memos, once written, immediately become proof that they were busy.

Charles Peters, American journalist and author, 1926 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Deadpool just looks wickedly funny!
What a waste to build a subway system and then never use it.
Played D&D a ton when I was younger, both as a character and the DM.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I must admit that i never played D&D.
Maybe I missed something.

Hope you find time to play Fallout 4.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...