Saturday, January 16, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1603

Dear Readers,

not unexpected my reading progress slowed down a bit but not as much as I suspected.
I started to think about to write more posts per month. Beside that I try to be a bit more active on Twitter. In order to do that I need to get more structured.
I think it is good change the daily routine a bit.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Virtual Historical Fiction Festival
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Flyting
  2. Bees
  3. Fake islands
  4. Mechanimals
  5. Lethal Doses Infographic

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Explore the Wonderland

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to mistake
The Lighthouse
What a great week regarding reading. I finished three books, continued reading of one book, and started a new one. I can't wish any more. Of course I know it will not continue like that. On Monday I return to work which means time for reading gets limited. I will use the time until then well and have had a good start with finishing my first book in 2016 today. In the next weeks I will put together the list of books I want to read in 2016.


I finished

- The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is an excellent historical ficton story mixed intertwined with a whodunit.
Despite the fact that there is murder and a siege potential readers should be aware that this is a slow paced story which is not negative. It is just the contrary. It would be implausible that the main character Daniel Cheswis who has an own business and took the position of a constable in order to fulfill his requirement.
The clever whodunit with a lot of twists and turns keeps one guessing until near the end of the story.

The book is extraordinary in the way how it tells about every day lives of the inhabitants of Nantwich. Reading the book is like living among the people. The historical accuracy is marvellous. The author must have spent a lot of time for research.

I look forward to the next book in the series."



I'm

- 307 pages in Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
A progress of 100 pages is not bad.

- 70 pages in Steal the Sky (paperback, January 2016) [ISBN-13:978-0857664907] by Megan E. O'Keefe.
I started to read this book instead of the one which did not work for me. So far I enjoy it.


Did not work for me,


- Beyond Redemption (digital, June 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00NUV1LJK] by Michael R. Fletcher.
I had a problem with the naming. For details pleas read following post
My problem with Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

As I like to read historical fiction and therefore I signed up the Virtual Historical Fiction Festival which will be launched by Endeavour Press in April 2016. In return I could choose several digital books for free. I decided to get three books and these are the ones I chose:

Faith and Fidelity (this version, digital, December 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B018XOY2XK] by Evan Ostryzniuk which is the first book in the Hotspur series.
"As the papal wars of the Western Schism rage across Europe, a young man takes his first step on the journey of a lifetime.

Geoffrey Hotspur dreams of knighthood.

As an English orphan-squire bonded to the court of Sir John of Gaunt, uncle of the English King Richard II, his prospects are few. An inveterate gambler already deep in debt, young Geoffrey eagerly accepts an invitation to participate in a raid on French lands. However, his plans go awry after a deadly street brawl results in his banishment from court.

As further punishment, he is ordered to join a royal commission bound for Florence. Accompanied by Jean Lagoustine, a mysterious Frenchman whose intentions towards the young squire are not all they appear to be, the ship upon which they journey is waylaid by corsairs.

Barely escaping with their lives, Geoffrey and Jean find themselves forming part of a company of Catalonian crossbowmen en route to enlist with the Roman papal army. The unlikely duo must navigate the war-torn lands of the Patrimony and the intricacies of honour and allegiance.

Intrigue and betrayal dominate the war between the two popes, and the young squire's understanding of faith and fidelity are soon challenged.

The need to do right inspires Geoffrey to take a personal stake in the outcome of the conflict.

With little more than his wits and a sword, the young squire must find a way to fulfill his duty to his lord, to his faith and to himself.

As the war culminates in an epic final battle for the throne of St. Peter, will Geoffrey find that a knighthood is worth the risk to his honour?" [Source]
Band of Brothers: The Game's Afoot (digital, November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B018EGA6EQ] by Richard Foreman.
"1415

England stands on the brink of war with France.

Henry V receives intelligence, through his agent Thomas Chaucer that the French intend to re-forge their old alliance with Scotland.

The king orders Chaucer and veteran archer Robert Cooper to travel across the border and intercept a French agent, Reynard of Troyes, before he can deliver the gold which will fund Scotland's war with England.

Chaucer also learns of a plot to murder the man that England cannot afford to go to war without. He orders the man-at-arms, Edward Fordham, to remain in the capital, solve the mystery and stop the assassin.

But all is not what it seems.

Some wars are fought in the shadows as well as on the battlefield..." [Source]

Sons of Natal (digital, October 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00P0I1Z88] by Ian Carr.
"1879.
British Natal stands on the brink of the Anglo-Zulu war.

The British High Commissioner is seeking to provoke the native Zulus into rising up against the British invaders, to start a war which will give the British an excuse to rule the whole of southern Africa. The colonialists are gathering their forces, in fear of the Zulu king’s warriors. Edmund Wade, a hotel manager with a controversial military past, volunteers to join the Town Guard. But after a run-in with an influential soldier he is left unemployed. And so, when he is offered the chance to lead a dangerous military mission, he has no choice but to accept. The newly-promoted captain is sent with a rag-tag contingent of redcoats to recover a haul of stolen rifles before they fall into the Zulu king’s hands, arming him for the coming conflict. It is Wade’s chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the army. But the stolen rifles are just the beginning… The captain starts to uncover a conspiracy which cuts to the heart of the British colonial establishment.

Who really stole the rifles, and for what purpose?

Can Wade expose the plot before it plunges South Africa into war?

Or will he fall victim to the Sons of Natal…?" [Source]



Beside that I bought one digital copy and one paperback which I ordered in advance.
Let me start with the digital copy.
Sometimes it take some time until a book arise my interest. That is what happened with Windswept (digital, September 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0142YPNEM] by Adam Rakunas which is the first book in the xxx series.
"Labor organizer Padma Mehta is on the edge of space and the edge of burnout. All she wants is to buy out a little rum distillery and retire, but she's supposed to recruit 500 people to the Union before she can. She's only thirty-three short. So when a small-time con artist tells her about forty people ready to tumble down the space elevator to break free from her old bosses, she checks it out — against her better judgment. It turns out, of course, it was all lies. As Padma should know by now, there are no easy shortcuts on her planet. And suddenly retirement seems farther away than ever: she's just stumbled into a secret corporate mission to stop a plant disease that could wipe out all the industrial sugarcane in Occupied Space. If she ever wants to have another drink of her favorite rum, she's going to have to fight her way through the city's warehouses, sewage plants, and up the elevator itself to stop this new plague." [Source]
I must say that I find the description promising. A labor organizer as the main character of a science fiction story is nothing usual....

The final book for today is the paperback copy of a debut novel which I ordered in advance because I could not resist the proms of an airship, thievery, secrets and a main character with an ignoble tongue. I talk about
Steal the Sky (paperback, January 2016) [ISBN-13:978-0857664907] by Megan E. O'Keefe.
"Detan Honding, a wanted conman of noble birth and ignoble tongue, has found himself in the oasis city of Aransa. He and his trusted companion Tibs may have pulled off one too many cons against the city’s elite and need to make a quick escape. They set their sights on their biggest heist yet—the gorgeous airship of the exiled commodore Thratia.

But in the middle of his scheme, a face changer known as a doppel starts murdering key members of Aransa’s government. The sudden paranoia makes Detan’s plans of stealing Thratia’s ship that much harder. And with this sudden power vacuum, Thratia can solidify her power and wreak havoc against the Empire. But the doppel isn’t working for Thratia and has her own intentions. Did Detan accidentally walk into a revolution and a crusade? He has to be careful—there’s a reason most people think he’s dead. And if his dangerous secret gets revealed, he has a lot more to worry about than a stolen airship." [Source]




Virtual Historical Fiction Festival
Do you like historical fiction? Then you maybe interested in to take part in the following event launched by UK’s leading independent digital publisher
Endeavour Press. It is free and you can get free books.

Official announcement

VIRTUAL HISTORICAL FICTION FESTIVAL


 


Endeavour Press are proud to be launching the first ever virtual historical fiction festival. We will be publishing exclusive extracts of upcoming novels, running giveaways and competitions and doing live Q&A's with our authors. 

Sign up here for free and we will send you free ebooks by the authors taking part in the festival.


I signed up. The festival will take part in April 2016 and I chose three books - shown above - which I will read until the begin of the festival.

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Flyting
One is never to old to learn something new. Until a few days ago I did not know the expression flyting and the meaning of it.Atlas Obscura enlightened me with following post



Bees
You may heard of or read about the Colony collapse disorder and think this is something new and related to modern society. That is not true as you can read in the article by following the link above. Many people do not know the importance of bees and do not understand the concern related to the disappearance of bees. Over at The Virtual Victorian you can read how an association formed in 1882 tried to enlighten people about bees. Have a look at




What to read in 2016
There are a lot of lists with book recommendations for 2016 available and there is one which delivers publisher's choice. I was really curious to read which books publisher would choose from their publication list. I found some interesting books which I was not aware of. You want to know more? Then head over to Fantasy Faction and read



Fake Islands
It is most important that nautical chart are as precise as possible and I do not need to explain to you why. Therefore I was really surprised when I read following post which I found over at Atlas Obscura. I could not believe that at the end of the 1800, there were around 200 faked islands marked in available charts and atlases.





Mechanimals
By chance I discovered the work of artist Robert Chew. His mechanimals are awesome. Have a look at his creations. They are marvellous.






Lethal Doses  Infographic
Last week I wrote about infographics. Today I want to share with you a great infographic source. I talk about Halcyon Maps. The following infographic could be of interest for anyone who likes crime fiction and mysteries:




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

There is no movie trailer this week. I did not find one worth to share with you.
Instead I show you something new available on Google Maps.
There is a large model railway exhibit in Hamburg, Germany. There are locations which you can't see in detail or from an other perspective than visitor's point of view. Fortunately there is now the possibility to do that by visiting Google Maps. Let me invite you to




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

A quote which is proven every day .............

"The greatest mistake is trying to be more agreeable than you can be.

Walter Bagehot, British journalist, 1826 -1877

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've seen Steal the Sky posted on several blogs recently.
Without bees, there is no pollenation of crops, which means no produce. We definitely need them.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

Steal the Sky was not bad but it was not the book I expected after reading the description.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...