Saturday, January 09, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1602


Dear Readers,

what a week! I can't remember the last time when I read as much as I did during a normal working week. Of course less stress at work helped a lot.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
  2. Books I want to read in January 2016
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Get a book for free
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. What to read in 2016
  2. FBI vault
  3. Dentist
  4. Infographics
  5. Gaming and card play
  6. Underwear patents

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Ruins

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to speech
The Lighthouse
What a great week regarding reading. I finished three books, continued reading of one book, and started a new one. I can't wish any more. Of course I know it will not continue like that. On Monday I return to work which means time for reading gets limited. I will use the time until then well and have had a good start with finishing my first book in 2016 today. In the next weeks I will put together the list of books I want to read in 2016.




I finished

- Shadow of Empire (digital, 3rd November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00TE98BNQ] by Jay Allan which is the first book in the new space opera series Far Star Trilogy.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I liked the over all story line of this solid first book in the series. It is well done but did not deliver the number of twists and turns I expected to get. Maybe my expectations have been too high. There is a whiff of firefly. The character development has been slowed down by repetition of character back story.

Nevertheless I will read the next book in the series."


- The Severed Streets (digital, May 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00IXLVW3W] by Paul Cornell.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"As I said in my comment to the first book in the series I'm not a big fan of urban fantasy but what Paul Cornell delivers with his Shadows Police series is excellent. The Severed Streets is even a bit better then London Falling.

The main characters have to go through a lot.I do not always agree with their methods and decisions but there is mostly nothing without a reason behind. New parties enter the greater game The mix of police procedural and the "dark side" of London is excellent. And there is still the question of Lofthouse's secret. Beside Jack the Ripper you meet author Neil Gaiman who plays a certain role which makes sense in case you read his book Neverwhere.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

WHO KILLED SHERLOCK HOLMES will be published in May 2016."



- The Strings of Murder (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.
Excellent debut novel. My review will posted on 10th of January 2016



I'm

- 207 pages in Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
There is so much going on which is not obvious a first sight.


- 59 pages The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series.
The protagonist is Daniel Cheswis who is an established businessman, a volunteered constable and far beyond to be a hero. He is the one who tells the story from his point of view. This is no fast paced medieval action mystery. The author is excellent in his work to let come an medieval to come to life. It is quite atmospheric and promise a historical whodunnit with a lot of twists and turns and guessing.





Books I want to read in January 2016
I know this is at least one week to late. But I want to install this as a new feature in 2016. I started to think about to post this separately at the end of  a month and chat a bit more of each book.
The schedule for January is ambitious. I can't remember the last time when I read ten books in a month. So far I'm on a good way with four books finished and two books in progress after nine days. 



- London Falling (digital, 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER81ZU] by Paul Cornell.
STATUS: Read
Urban Fantasy



- The Severed Streets (digital, May 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00IXLVW3W] by Paul Cornell.

STATUS: Read
Urban Fantasy

- Shadow of Empire (digital, 3rd November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00TE98BNQ] by Jay Allan.
STATUS: Read
Science Fiction

- The Strings of Murder (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.
STATUS: Read
Victorian Mystery

- Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
STATUS: In progress
Epic Fantasy

- The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series.
STATUS: In progress
Medieval Mystery

- Beyond Redemption (digital, June 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00NUV1LJK] by Michael R. Fletcher.
STATUS: Not started
Epic Fantasy

 - Enemy in the Dark (digital, 1st December 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00UG8IHDI] by Jay Allan. Book 2 in the trilogy
STATUS: Not started 
Science Fiction

 - The Rising (digital, 1st December 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ZPGBN1Y] by Ian Tregillis. Book 2 in the trilogy
STATUS: Not started 
Mix of Alternate History, Fantasy, and Steampunk

- Sword of the Bright Lady (pb, 2014) [ ISBN-13: 978-1616149888] by M.C. Planck.
STATUS: Not started

Portal Fantasy


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I'm a fan of series. It seems it is a good time for science fiction and fantasy series turned into films and or TV series.
The latest example is The Expanse series base on the books by James S A Corey which is the pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I read book one in 2011 and book two in 2012 and I liked them both. Then I lost contact to the series for whatever reason. In 2016 book six will be published.
At the moment I do not want to return to the series.
 Instead the Expanse series reminded me of an other series written by Daniel Abraham.
I talk about the epic fantasy series The Dagger and the Coin. The fifth and finial book in the series - The Spider's War - will be published in March 2016.
I remember I read the first book - The Dragon's Path - in paperback format back in 2011 and liked it a lot. But I have to admit I do not remember a lot.
I checked my bookshelves on GOODREADS that I also own a digital copies of book two and three. A wonderful idea popped up in my mind: wouldn't it be a marvellous idea to read this five book series back to back during my summer holidays? I took me less than a minute to convince myself. I like to have all books in a series either in paperback or in digital format. Therefore I decided to do following in order to complete the series. I will buy a digital copy of book one even I own a paperback copy. Furthermore I need to buy digital copies of book four and five.
To read all five books back to back also means I will reread book one.
I started the completion of the series collection with buying digital copies of book one and four and I ordered book five in advance.
I will share with you cover and description of book one, the covers of book two to five, and finally the introduction to the series by the author himself. While I put together the information about the series my wish to read the books now rose and rose which is good. Nevertheless I will keep to my reading order which is of course not cared in stone but I spent some time on it and so far it fits.
The Dragon's Path (digital, April 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B004SBMJSI] by Daniel Abraham
"All paths lead to war...

Marcus' hero days are behind him. He knows too well that even the smallest war still means somebody's death. When his men are impressed into a doomed army, staying out of a battle he wants no part of requires some unorthodox steps.

Cithrin is an orphan, ward of a banking house. Her job is to smuggle a nation's wealth across a war zone, hiding the gold from both sides. She knows the secret life of commerce like a second language, but the strategies of trade will not defend her from swords.

Geder, sole scion of a noble house, has more interest in philosophy than in swordplay. A poor excuse for a soldier, he is a pawn in these games. No one can predict what he will become.

Falling pebbles can start a landslide. A spat between the Free Cities and the Severed Throne is spiraling out of control. A new player rises from the depths of history, fanning the flames that will sweep the entire region onto The Dragon's Path-the path to war." [Source



    BOOK TWO                                       BOOK THREE
    The Kings Blood                                The Tyrant Law
    (digital, May 2012)                        (digital, May 2013)
   [Kindle ASIN:  B007NMTJHS]       [Kindle ASIN:  B009SQ01AG]

BOOK FOUR                                             BOOK FIVE
The Widow's House                                  The Spider's War
(digital, Agust 2014)                            (digital, March 2016)
[Kindle ASIN:  B00KQNSK80]             [Kindle ASIN:  B00PW5V3E0]

Daniel Abraham introduces The Dagger and the Coin.

With coming out of the fifth and last book it is a great opportunity to read an excellent and by March 2016 completed epic fantasy series back to back. 



A book for free
I'm currently reading The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series.
"1643. The armies of King Charles I and Parliament clash in the streets and fields of England, threatening to tear the country apart, as winter closes in around the parliamentary stronghold of Nantwich. The royalists have pillaged the town before, and now, they are returning. But even with weeks to prepare before the Civil War is once more at its gates, that doesn’t mean the people of Nantwich are safe.

While the garrison of soldiers commanded by Colonel George Booth stand guard, the town’s residents wait, eyeing the outside world with unease, unaware that they face a deadly threat from within. Townspeople are being murdered – the red sashes of the royalists left on the bodies marking them as traitors to the parliamentary cause.

When the first dead man is found, his skull caved in with a rock, fingers start being pointed, and old hatreds rise to the surface. It falls to Constable Daniel Cheswis to contain the bloodshed, deputising his friend, Alexander Clowes, to help him in his investigations, carried out with the eyes of both armies on his back. And they are not the only ones watching him.

He is surrounded by enemies, and between preparing for the imminent battle, watching over his family, being reunited with his long-lost sweetheart, and trying, somehow, to stay in business, he barely has time to solve a murder.

With few clues and the constant distraction of war, can Cheswis protect the people of Nantwich? And which among them need protecting? Whether they are old friends or troubled family, in these treacherous times, everyone’s a traitor, in war, law, or love.

When the Winter Siege is through, who will be among the bodies?" [Source]

In case you would like to give  The Winter Siege a try and in case you can handle Kindle books then I have good news for you.
Author DW Dawbridge announced via Twitter that the Kindle edition of The Winter Siege will be free from 18th to 21st of January 2016.
Go to Amazon and search for ASIN: B00FGYSJNA during the mentioned days.

Maybe you heard about the new feature offered by Amazon.com for free. It is now possible to embed book previews directly on a blog. Of course I want to try the feature and therefore you get now a preview of The Winter Siege.


Please let me know in the comment if this feature is useful for you.





No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



What to read in 2016
There are a lot of lists with book recommendations for 2016 available and there is one which delivers publisher's choice. I was really curious to read which books publisher would choose from their publication list. I found some interesting books which I was not aware of. You want to know more? Then head over to Fantasy Faction and read



FBI vault
Last week I told you about the upcoming X-Files miniseries. The following post which I found over at Atlas Obscura fits perfectly to that. Have a look at



Dentist
Next Wednesday I have to go to dentist because I will get a new bridge. The pain is nothing compared what people had to endure in medieval times. There is a fascinating post over at The History Girls. Head over and read



Infographics
"Information graphics or infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present information quickly and clearly." [Source]
They are also nothing new under the sun as the following excellent post over at Atlas Obscura shows.




Gaming and card play
Both are part of many fantasy books and they have a long history in our world. There is an enlightening post about gaming and card play in the Elizabethan era available of at the English Historical Fiction Authors.



Underwear patents
I do not want to go into details. I assure you that the following post over a t Atlas Obscura left me dumbfounded.






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

There is no movie trailer this week. I did not find one worth to share with you.
Instead I show you an excellent short film. Enjoy
CGI 3D Animated Short Film HD: "Ruins" - by Daniel Ueno



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

A quote which is proven every day .............

"Speech is conveniently located midway between thought and action, where it often substitutes for both.

Tom Lehrer, American physician and writer, 1874 - year of death unknown. He is best known for his book "Wisdom in Small Doses (1927), which is the source of the quote above.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Will check out The Dragon's Path.
Short had a nice twist. The creature(s) was dangerous, just not the way the kid expected.
What is it about New Mexico and the desert that draws alien ships?
Good luck with the dentist. Them and their evil little metal picks...

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

for more information about "The Dagger and the Coin" series I recommend to visit the official website of the author Daniel Abraham

Fortunately I know the dentist and he is a good one ...

Zoltán Gecse said...

I'll put "The Dagger and the Coin" series to my want to read list. There are so many books/bookseries I want to read...

(You mentioned the Shadow of Empire book twice at the "Books I want to read in January 2016" title.)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

there are many series where I just read the first book and never returned to the next one.
Therefore I started to go through my list and to pick up one or two series to read in 2016. Without I would just collect series. I concentrated on series which are completed or will be completed in the next months. "The Dagger and the Coin" series is my first choice. Beside that I have my long term project which is to read then ten book series with in sum 8889 pages "The Malazan Book of the Fallen".
I tried once to read all the books in one year and failed. Now I try to read one or two books per year and I'm now in the third book.


Thank you for identifying the error. You are completely right that I mentioned "The Shadow Empire" twice. I read the book and I want to read the second book in the trilogy which is
"Enemy in the Dark" (digital, 1st December 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00UG8IHDI] by Jay Allan.

Maybe you should pick one series too. I felt a lot better after I chose to read "The Dagger and the Coin" series and I really look forward to do it. I want to start in February. In case one of my January picks does not work for me, I will start in January.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...