Saturday, January 02, 2016

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1601

Dear Readers,

welcome to the first issue of the Weekend Wave in 2016.
I hope you had a good start into 2016.
Now I try to use the time until I return to work for reading as I'm in the mood for it when I see the rainy weather outside.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A coffin to relax
  2. Crazy chairs
  3. The true story of a medieval farter

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The X-Files

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to communication
The Lighthouse
On Monday I return to work which means time for reading gets limited. I will use the time until then well and have had a good start with finishing my first book in 2016 today. In the next weeks I will put together the list of books I want to read in 2016.




I finished

- London Falling (digital, 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER81ZU] by Paul Cornell which is the first book in the James Quill series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I'm not a big fan of urban fantasy.
Nevertheless I found this one interesting enough to read.

This is my first book read in 2016 and it has been surprisingly good. I read somewhere that this is "black magic procedural" and there is truth in this description. Well created characters with an own past who are intertwined in a story of life and death. Well executed mix of inner dialogue full of doubts and emotions combined with proper police procedural and a lot of action.

Can't wait to read the next book in the series."



I'm

- 148 pages in Memories of Ice (this pb edition, August 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Excellent


- 92 pages in Shadow of Empire (digital, 3rd November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00TE98BNQ] by Jay Allan which is the first book in the new space opera series Far Star Trilogy.
So far so good.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

A new year means also new books. I bought digital copies of two books.

After enjoying London Falling (digital, 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER81ZU] by Paul Cornell, I could not resist to get a copy of the second book in the series.
The Severed Streets (digital, May 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00IXLVW3W] by Paul Cornell.
"Summer in London: a city in turmoil. The vicious murder of a well-known MP is like a match to tinder but Detective Inspector James Quill and his team know that it's not a run-of-the-mill homicide. Still coming to terms with their new-found second sight, they soon discover that what is invisible to others - the killer - is visible to them. Even if they have no idea who it is.

Then there are more deaths. The bodies of rich, white men are found in circumstances similar to those that set the streets of London awash with fear during the late 1800s: the Whitechapel murders. Even with their abilities to see the supernatural, accepting that Jack the Ripper is back from the dead is a tough ask for Quill's team. As they try to get to grips with their abilities and a case that's spiralling out of control, Quill realizes that they have to understand more about this shadowy London, a world of underground meetings, bizarre and fantastical auctions, and objects that are 'get out of hell free' cards. But the team's unlikely guide, a bestselling author, can't offer them much insight - and their other option, the Rat King, speaks only in riddles.

Relying on old-fashioned police work and improvising with their new skills only lands them in deeper water, and they soon realize that the investigation is going to hell - literally. And if they're not careful, they may be going with it . . ." [Source]


I'm always open-minded when it comes to crime mysteries set in the Victorian era. After reading the description of The Strings of Murder (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00NPIUILA] by Oscar de Muriel.
"A spellbinding concoction of crime, history and horror - perfect for fans of Sherlock Holmes and Jonathan Creek.

Edinburgh, 1888. A virtuoso violinist is brutally killed in his home. Black magic symbols cover the walls. The dead man's maid swears she heard three musicians playing before the murder.

But with no way in or out of the locked practice room, the puzzle makes no sense...

Fearing a national panic over a copycat Ripper, Scotland Yard sends Inspector Ian Frey to investigate under the cover of a fake department specializing in the occult. However, Frey's new boss - Detective 'Nine-Nails' McGray - actually believes in such nonsense.

McGray's tragic past has driven him to superstition, but even Frey must admit that this case seems beyond reason. And once someone loses all reason, who knows what they will lose next..." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



A coffin to relax
I know this sounds a bit weird. Nevertheless it is not an early April Fool.
Time is short and place is limited in big towns, in trains, at airports and other locations. Wouldn't it be convenient to relax whenever possible? But how should you do that? Some clever people developed a tool which you can see over at WebUrbanist. Fortunately I don't have the need for that .....






Crazy chairs
The number of different chairs is still growing. Have a look at the following ones over at WebUrbanist. Not all of them look comfortable. My favourite one is the painting you can sit in.





The true story of a medieval farter
A fartist is an entertainer. You find references back in history. A famous one has been Roland the Farter. Read about his history over at Atlas Obscura:









That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

From 1993 to 2002 the awesome X-Files series starring David Duchovny as Fox Mulder and Gillian Anderson as Dana Scully has been aired. It is a series which I still love and there is still a huge fan base.
Now I'm really excited that Mulder and Scully return on screen in 2016 in form of a miniseries. I really hope that the series will be shown in Germany too.
There is a behind the scenes video which should deliver information for long time fans and for newbies too. Have a look - it lasts 21 minutes.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I have nothing to add to following quote .............

"I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up.

Tom Lehrer, American singer and songwriter, 1928

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to the X-Files.
Is the book London Falling the same as the movie that's coming out? Probably not.
And you have to wonder who thought of wearing a coffin on his head...

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

book and film are not the same. The film is about terrorists and the book is about the dark side of London.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I'm very curious about the new X-files series. I left some episodes at the past, because the series moved from the TV channel I had to another which I hadn't. Maybe I should rewatch the whole series... It won't be easy because my wife not a big fan of X-files, and I have a bad feeling about the ageing of the series.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

My wife likes the X-Files series which is definitely an advantage :-)
I ust say the X-File series is a kind of ageless.
As far as I understood the promotion video they adjusted the series to fit in nowadays time. Of course the actors look older but I hope the will bring back the spirit of the series.
I think it would be nice to rewatch the whole series. But they are not shown on German TV channels and that would mean I have to buy all nine season on DVD (Amazon.de offers the nine season DVD collection on 53 discs for 76 Euro and on Blue Ray for 129 Euro).

Now I really hope that the new mini series will find the way to one of the German TV channels.

Fingers crossed that we both can enjoy the new X_files mini season in near future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...