Saturday, December 12, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1550

Dear Readers,
what a long and exhausting working week! Six days in a row including extra hours did have an impact on my reading progress and also a big impact on my Fallout 4 progress. I did not play a single minute in the past week. Now I look forward to some days off coming soon.
The wet and grey weather is so inviting to spend a day with a good book and some mugs of tea in my favourite reading chair.
This year I will fail my GOODREADS 2015 reading challenge. I wanted to read 70 books. On Friday evening I finished book number 54.
But I'm not sad about it because I read some excellent books and I will finish some more until the end of 2015.
Originally I planned to write this post on Sunday. But after a longer nap I felt refreshed enough to write and post today.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. News from author Alex J. Cavanaugh
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Incredible paper plane
  2. Cardboard music 
  3. Strong women beyond fantasy
  4. Class of 2016
  5. From book to screen
  6. For book and cake lovers
  7. Arkham
  8. Epic Fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to poison
The Lighthouse
Yay! I finished one book. That means a lot to me. But it was not one of my current reads. I needed a "lighter" read after long working days.

Last week I spent more time for sleeping than for reading and playing.
That is the reason why there is nearly no progress regarding my current reads.



I finished

- Geheimakte Aton (digital, March 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00J1LK9KU] by André Milewski.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Das Buch setzt die Abenteur von Max Falkenburg fort und ist wie der Vörgänger ein Buch für alle Fans von Indiana Jones und klassischen Abenteuergeschichten.
Es ist eine Hommage an Indiana Jones, bleibt dabei aber eigenständig.

Die Geschichte spielt fünf Jahre nach dem ersten Buch und es geht nach Ägypten.

Wer diese Art von Geschichten mag, wird hier gut unterhalten.
Mir hat es gut gefallen und ich werde die Folgebände lesen."


I'm





No progress

-  354 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
A progress of 54 pages is not that bad. The story is still fascinating.

- 113 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner
At least a progress of 20 pages

- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Digital copies of four books found a new home on my reader.

In November 2015 I bought a copy of The Last Librarian (digital, October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B016VAQVXM] by Brandt Legg which is the first book in The Justa Journal trilogy.
Now I found good offers for book two and three and bought digital copies.

The Lost TreeRunner (digital, 25th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0176UX6SO] by Brandt Legg
"The thrilling follow up to The Last Librarian
Three years after the AOI burned the books, Grandyn Happerman is missing. For more than one thousand days, Lance Miner, Deuce Lipton, Blaise Cortez, PAWN and the AOI have been searching for him. There are rumors that some books survived, books that contain the truth. As Grandyn desperately struggles to stay one step ahead of his pursuers, he attempts to piece together the clues, which will lead to the Justar Journal.

In a world where everything is watched and secrets are illegal, the only thing more dangerous than starting a revolution is stopping one. Allies and enemies are sometimes one and the same, and often it is hard to know the difference. One thing is certain; the AOI will not be deterred from their mission, peace at any price. Locating the books isn’t enough; they also absolutely must find the lost TreeRunner.

In a world of lies how do you know if you’ve found the truth?" [Source]


The List Keepers (digital, 8th November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B017QOEIN2] by Brandt Legg
"The thrilling conclusion to the Justar Journal!
For longer than anyone knew, they were there. Before half the world died, before the lies became the truth, before anyone understood, the List Keepers were there . . . waiting.

Inside the books, it had predicted everything, the Banoff, the Aylantik, the AOI, the Doneharvest, the end, and even itself. The Justar Journal had always been there . . . waiting.

With so many secrets hidden, Grandyn discovers something more extraordinary than he ever dreamed. The AOI must stop him from sharing it; they are far from his biggest problem. Blaise, Deuce, and Lance all need to control the secret. But the greatest danger may be the Trapciers, who must destroy it. He can only count on one person. She’s been waiting . . . and she belongs to the List Keepers.
When searching for the truth, you may find it never existed." [Source]


I'm always looking for good science fiction books and when I came across the really cheap offer for the digital copy of Crash (digital, June 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00DNGSBQI] by Guy Haley, I could not resist and bought a copy.
"This thrilling novel lifts some of the fiercest contemporary concerns of stock-market crashes, overpolulation and who rules society, to deliver a novel that finds answers beyond the stars - but will that be enough to overcome history and survive?

•The Market rules all, plotting the rise and fall of fortunes without human intervention. Mankind, trapped by a rigid hierarchy of wealth, bends to its every whim. To function, the Market must expand without end. The Earth is finite, and cannot hold it, and so a bold venture to the stars is begun, offering a rare chance at freedom to a select few people. But when the colony fleet is sabotaged, a small group finds itself marooned upon the tidally locked world of Nychthemeron, a world where one hemisphere is bathed in perpetual daylight, the other hidden by eternal night. Isolated and beset, the stricken colony members must fight for survival on the hostile planet, while secrets about both the nature of their shipwreck and Nychthemeron itself threaten to tear their fragile society apart." [Source]



I'm open-minded when it comes to indie books. I follow the site Indie Author News. They feature indie books on a regularly base.
Today they published


Featured Indie Book: The Prelapsarians (John Gaiserich)

and I read it with great interest. There was something within the description which forced me to read the first pages over at Amazon. Finally my gut feeling told me to buy a digital copy of The Prelapsarians (digital, 28th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B017CCHV1E] by John Gaiserich.
"All around us, in this sepulchral forest of grey silence, were remnants of the past – rusted firearms, shattered smartphones, parts of abandoned vehicles – all carefully entombed beneath a thin veil of volcanic ash that blanketed the land like a crust of frost on a dying flower. These were the broken bones of the old world, the lingering vestiges of the times that the few of us left who were born before the Grey Winter had once known.

Twenty-five years after Yellowstone erupts, a handful of humans struggle to survive in the ruins of their shattered civilization. Among them is Ciarán Ó Corraidhín, an aging American mercenary trapped in the Caucasus. When he meets Ani Ohanyan, a beautiful young woman smuggling Mamikonium, the lone drug that allows humanity to breathe the ash-filled air, Ciarán finds himself questioning all that he knows and believes.

John Gaiserich's epic debut “The Prelapsarians” adds character intimacy and dynamics to the post-apocalyptic fiction genre’s standby of action and adventure. “The appeal of the book is in the multi-faceted characters, the balance between action and intimate moments, and its ability to provide an intellectually stimulating reading experience,” Gaiserich said.

Post-apocalyptic fiction all too often focuses on the terror of living in a collapsed, lawless civilization. The genre’s plots center on the challenge of survival, rarely examining the theme of what it means to be human and civilized – and the difficult choices a person must make to retain their humanity – in such a world. In doing so, “The Prelapsarians” actually comments on what it means to be human in our civilized world.

The novel is set in the Caucasus, an exotic, mountainous region where Russia meets the Middle East." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Incredible paper plane
As a boy I liked to fold paper planes. Some of them flew quite good. The following post overt at WebUrbanist left me dumbfounded. Incredible what you can achieve with talent, patience and endurance.





Cardboard music
This part of the post is especially for author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh. I know that Alex plays guitar. I'm sure he has never seen before a guitar like the one shown in the following post overt at WebUrbanist.




Strong woman beyond fantasy
I like to read books with throng female characters. When you look into real life there have been a lot of strong women in the past. Over at Hodderscape author Stark Holborn put together a list of


To my surprise not all of them have been unknown to me.




Class of 2016

Every year the work of authors gone 50 respectively 75 years ago will be public domain. The Public Domain Review put together there class of authors whose work will be public domain in 2016. Have a look at






From book to screen
One of my current reads is Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson which is the first book in his Mars trilogy.It is an excellent book and I will continue reading this weekend. To my pleasure I found following news over at B&N SCI-FI & FANTASY blog:




For book and cake lovers
While "suŕfing" through the net I found following three pictures:




Arkham
Did you ever read a story by H. P. Lovecraft? Then you will know the he created the fictional town of Arkham as part of his world setting.
What happens when a railroad fan gets inspired by the world of H. P. Lovecraft?
visit the following post and marvel at the result ....





Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 32!! posts are available.

































That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

It seems May 2016 will be a great month for new movies. Today I share with you the next promising trailer for a film to hit the cinemas on May 27th:

Seems we can expect a lot of action.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

It seems we forget far too often what is described in following quote .............

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it!

Bob Newhart, American stand-up comedian and actor, 1929 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fender is impressive. I saw a special with Paul Reed Smith and he made one just out of an old piece of wood and said yes, one can make a guitar from anything.
The next X-Men is going to be so epic.
Sorry you lost some Fallout4 time this past week. Maybe I'll have a chance to catch up to you!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
so far I played around 86 hours and there is still so much more to discover and quests to solve.

I read about a Fallout 4 speedrun. It took no more than 68 minutes to finish the game. Crazy!

Have a good time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...