Saturday, December 05, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1549

Dear Readers,
I would like to read and play more but work is exhausting and led to more sleep than expected. It is much easier to buy new book than to read books.
Next week will be a six day working week because I have to work on next Saturday. it may happen that the next issue of the Weekend Wave will be posted on next Sunday.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. News from author Alex J. Cavanaugh
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Fortune tellers
  2. The final destination of New York City subway cars
  3. Poison
  4. A violent world
  5. Epic Fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Alice Through the Looking Glass

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to poison
The Lighthouse
Last week I spent more time for sleeping than for reading and playing.
That is the reason why there is nearly no progress regarding my current reads.



I finished

- no book


I'm

-  354 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
A progress of 54 pages is not that bad. The story is still fascinating.

- 113 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner
At least a progress of 20 pages



No progress


- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I received books in paperback and digital format which I have ordered in advance several months ago.

Two of the books are each the second book in a series.
In January 2015 I read with great pleasure my digital copy of The Invisible Library (digital, December 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00M44051E] by Genevieve Cogman. Unfortunately I failed to review it

Now I received the sequel The Masked City (digital, December 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B00ZCCXZNU] by Genevieve Cogman.
"Librarian-spy Irene is working undercover in an alternative London when her assistant Kai goes missing. She discovers he's been kidnapped by the fae faction and the repercussions could be fatal. Not just for Kai, but for whole worlds.

Kai's dragon heritage means he has powerful allies, but also powerful enemies in the form of the fae. With this act of aggression, the fae are determined to trigger a war between their people - and the forces of order and chaos themselves.

Irene's mission to save Kai and avert Armageddon will take her to a dark, alternate Venice where it's always Carnival. Here Irene will be forced to blackmail, fast talk, and fight. Or face death." [Source]
The description sounds as intriguing as the one for the first book.




I highly appreciated the Milkweed Tryptich trilogy by Ian Tregillis which was an extraordinary good series which I enjoyed a lot. If you did not read it, I can tell you that I highly recommend it.

In April 2015 I had the great pleasure to read and enjoy The Mechanical (digital and pb, March 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00JV1W61K; ISBN-13: 978-0356502328] which is the first book in the Alchemy Wars Trilogy.
Now I can continue to read the trilogy with  The Rising (digital, 1st December 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ZPGBN1Y].
"They called me Jax.

That was the name given by those who built me and enslaved me. But a miracle has happened, and now my bonds are broken.

Now I must flee - because a rogue mechanical is a very dangerous thing.

But I will not run forever.

Set in a world that might have been, of mechanical men and alchemical dreams, this is the second novel in a stunning new series by Ian Tregillis, confirming his place as one of the most original new voices in speculative fiction." [Source]


The third and final book for today is the first book in the new space opera series Far Star Trilogy. I talk about Shadow of Empire (digital, 3rd November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00TE98BNQ].by Jay Allan.
"The first installment in the Far Star series, a swashbuckling space saga that introduces the daring pirate Blackhawk and the loyal crew of the Wolf’s Claw, from the author of the bestselling Crimson Worlds saga.

Smuggler and mercenary Arkarin Blackhawk and the crew of the ship Wolf’s Claw are freelance adventurers who live on the fringe of human society in the Far Stars. A veteran fighter as deadly with a blade as he is with a gun, Blackhawk is a man haunted by a dark past. Even his cynicism cannot banish the guilt and pain that threaten his sanity.

Sent to rescue the kidnapped daughter of his longtime friend Marshal Augustin Lucerne, Blackhawk and his crew find themselves drawn into one deadly fight after another. When the Wolf’s Claw is damaged, they are forced to land on an remote planet subsumed by civil war. Pulled unwittingly into the conflict, they uncover disturbing information about secret imperial involvement that could upset the plans of Lucerne.

For the Marshal is determined to forge a Far Stars Confederation powerful enough to eliminate all imperial influence and threats in the sector. He needs a skilled warrior like Blackhawk on his side, but the mercenary, plagued by dark memories from the past, refuses to join the cause. All too soon, though, he and his crew will have to take a stand." [Source]
This sounds like an at least entertaining start of a new series. Book two and three will be published in December and January which means it is possible to read the trilogy more or less back to back.




News from author Alex J. Cavanaugh
First there was the brilliant

THE CASSA TRILOGY

It all started with  CassaStaR (October 19th,2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0981621067] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.  I presented my review on October 17th 2010.

 On December 21st 2011, I presented my review of CassaFirE (February 28th, 2012, pb, 240 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0982713945] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

On September 17th 2013, I presented  my review of CassaStorM (September 17th, 2013) [Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] [E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

I think each review shows how much I love this series. In case you still have not read the trilogy or you would like to get all  three books in one digital copy then you should read following information.

If you did not read the Cassa trilogy so far then you have now a good reason to start with the first book. Just read the following information taken directly from the author's blog:


First, I have to announce - CassaStar on sale! The first book in my Cassa Amazon best-selling trilogy is only .99 this week at Amazon. If you can help spread the word, that would be awesome.
Tweet:
Amazon Best-Seller CassaStar by Alex J. Cavanaugh on sale for .99 cents http://www.amazon.com/CassaStar-Alex-J-Cavanaugh-ebook/dp/B0045Y261I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= #99cents #scifi

I spread word but I did not want to miss to inform the reader of my blog too.
Nevertheless you need to hurry a bit as the offer is only valid this week (calendar week 49).


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Fortune tellers
Did you ever visit a fortune teller? I never visited one. If you would like to get more information about the life of fortune tellers in 19th century Manhattan then you should go and visit Atlas Obscura and read



The final destination of New York City subway cars
What to do with old subway cars? New York City found a useful purpose. The end of the subway cars is the starting point for new life as you can see over at WebUrbanist in following post



Poison
"Women are seven times as likely as men to choose poison as their murder weapon." [Source]
The quote above is based on data from 1999 through 2012. But poison has also been used by women in history as the following post over at English Historical Fiction Authors reveals:




A violent world
I don't know if it is only my impression. For me it seems violence around world is increasing. Wars, terrorism, mass shootings, and more. Even in Germany the areas where you should not go out in the evening are growing. Every day the news are full of reports about war and crime. The most advanced civilisation on Earth seems on they way to wipe out all human life.

Do you know how many mass shootings happened in USA in 2015?
I was afraid and distressed when I saw the map presented in the following post over at PBS News Hour





Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 31!! posts are available.


























































That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

November was a misty month and December does not look better which means it is a good time to look forward to 2016. To look forward to see something colorful spiced with dark humor. On May 27th you can meet again Alice traveling back in time to save the Mad Hatter in

Enjoy the promising trailer. starring the magnificent Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen often mistaken for the Queen of Hearts.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Maybe husbands are better than their reputation .............

"When you consider what a chance women have to poison their husbands, it's a wonder there isn't more of it done.

Kin Hubbard, American journalist, 1838 - 1930

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for mentioning CassaStar's sale!
Shadow of Empire has a really awesome cover. Reminds me of my own books. Will check out the series.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
always a pleasure to share words about you great books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...