Saturday, November 28, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1548

Dear Readers,
less than one month to go until Christmas. I'm lucky that I do not have the pressure to find appropriate Christmas gifts for my beloved ones because we think it is much more joyful to get unexpected gifts during the year. I got my Christmas gift 2015 this month in form of FALLOUT 4!
But to be honest a Christmas without any gift .....
We like to surprise us with a little something coming from the heart.
I hope you will no get stressed while "hunting" presents for your beloved ones.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Life, Death, Frankenstein
  2. Skyscraper firefighter
  3. Epic and epic
  4. Epic Fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Captain America: Civil War

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to wisdom
The Lighthouse
Last week I spent more time for reading despite playing Fallout 4.
I finished one book and continued one of my current reads.


I finished

- The House of Moriarty (digital, November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B010RALV14] by Sam Christer
The book surprised me in several ways. I work on the review which it deserve because it impressed me.


I'm

-  300 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
A progress of 40 pages is not that bad. I had no problems to resume the story.

No progress


- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.

- 94 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner



- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I bought one digital copy for 1,18 EUR (=1.25 USD, = 0.83 GBP) and got one digital copy for free.

Both books are related to Sherlock Holmes.
I really enjoyed reading The Stuff of Nightmares (August 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781165416] and Sherlock Holmes: Gods of War (June 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781165430] both by James Lovegrove.
Of course I wanted a paperback copy of Sherlock Holmes: The Thinking Engine (August 2015) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1783295036] but I found it too expensive.
Before I started to write this post I checked my Amazon wish list and to my surprise the price for the digital copy has been reduced to 1,18 EUR! I bought a copy Sherlock Holmes: The Thinking Engine (August 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B010545F50] by James Lovegrove immediately.
"March 1895. Hilary Term at Oxford. In the newly built extension to the University Galleries, Professor Quantock has put the finishing touches to a wondrous computational device which, he claims, is capable of analytical thought to rival that of the cleverest men alive. Indeed, his so-called Thinking Engine seems equal to Sherlock Holmes himself in its deductive powers.

To prove his point, Quantock programmes his machine to solve a murder in the Jericho area which has been baffling Oxford police. The Engine identifies a suspect who proves not to have a valid alibi for the night of the crime. The man is duly arrested and arraigned.

Sherlock Holmes cannot ignore this challenge. He and Watson travel to Oxford, where a battle of wits ensues between the great detective and his mechanical counterpart as they compete to see which of them can be first to solve a series of crimes. As man and machine vie for supremacy, it becomes clear that the Thinking Engine has its own agenda. Holmes’s and Watson’s lives are on the line as a ghost from the past catches up with them..." [Source]
There are many authors tackling the great detective and I know a handful. Among them James Lovegrove is one of my favorite.


Does the name Irene Adler ring a bell? She appeared only once in a Sherlock Holmes short story but she is the woman he hold in highest regard.
But where is the connection to In the Dead of Winter (digital, Oktober 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0178FK3WO] by Abbey Pen Baker which is the pen name of Rebecca Morean?
The consulting detective and professor of logic Dr. Myrl Adler Norton is nonetheless the daughter of Irene Adler.
"Myrl Adler Norton was, by all accounts, one of the most remarkable women of the twentieth century. The daughter of the acclaimed opera singer Irene Adler, she was a respected professor of logic at Smith College as well as one of the most famous consulting detectives of all time. The books of her exploits, written by her lifelong friend and confidante Faye Martin Tullis, are among the most popular in the history of detective literature. Now, with this previously undiscovered manuscript, the true story behind the meeting of these two friends and their first case comes to light. In 1918, while a student at Smith, Faye first encountered Myrl, an enigmatic figure with an interesting past. When a local actress is found dead amid bizarre circumstances, Myrl takes an interest in the murder, and the two travel to Brattleboro, Vermont, to investigate. There they uncover a twisted conspiracy, one far more dangerous than simple murder - and learn the truth about Myrl's real father, the world's most famous consulting detective." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Life, Death, Frankenstein
Frankenstein or the Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley is still an inspiring novel. What did people know about science of life and death when the book has been published in 1818?
There is an enlightening article available over at the Public Domain Review



Skyscraper firefighter
The higher the building the more you need clever solutions for fire-fighting.
Over at WebUrbanist you can see and read what the city of Dubai planned for the near future:




Epic and epic
You belong to the people who love to read epic fantasy series? Up a certain level it is possible to get lost in all these books. But there is light at the end of the tunnel in form of a constantly growing list which you also can support with your knowledge of epic fantasy series.
Please visit The Tattered Scroll and dive into the




Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 28 posts are available.

























































That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

After a long time I'm back with a movie trailer.
On May 6th 2016 the next chapter in the Marvel Captain America will hit the cinemas in US.
This is the first trailer of Captain America: Civil War. It seems to deliver a lot of action. I missed to see Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Who will survive?


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I have nothing to add to following quote .............

"Be wiser than other people, if you can, but do not tell them so.

Lord Chesterfield, British statesman, 1694 -1773

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got the Sherlock Holmes book at a reasonable price!
One more month and I'll also be playing Fallout 4.
Jet-packs? That works, but you wouldn't get me up there in one of them.
And the new Civil War trailer is awesome. So many superheroes.
Have a good week!

ediFanoB said...

My time to play Fallout 4 dropped dramatically. During the week I'm too tired to play in the evening.

Therefore I look forward to the time around Christmas when I will have some days off.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...