Saturday, November 21, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1547

Dear Readers,
there are two small and invisible men sitting on my shoulders. In alternating order the tell me: "Let's play" "Let's read".
Whom to give in? In the end it is my gut felling which decides what to do.
Today I split me spare time into three parts. I started with reading and finished a book. Now I work on this post and afterwards I will playFALLOUT 4.
So far I'm happy with the result.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB





  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Victorian Skype
  2. Concrete Architecture
  3. A day in the Life of an Agent
  4. Epic Fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Shaman

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to sanity
The Lighthouse
There is some light at the end of the my reading tunnel. I finished one book. In order to read more I need to lock Fallout 4 away. It is incredible how addictive the game is.


I finished

- The Ark (pb, 2015) [ ISBN-13: 978-0857664839] by Patrick S. Tomlinson.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I won a paperback copy of this book in a giveaway.

The story is an excellent blend of science fiction and mystery.

The mystery is much more complex than one think in the beginning. Due to a lot of twists and turns the reader keeps guessing nearly until the end of the book. The pacing is well done. Beginning with page one the reader is part of the story. "The world" is reduced to the generation ship ARK which is inhabited by 50000 people. That should give you an impression of the ship dimension.

One may not always agree with the actions of detective Bryan Benson because he is stubborn at times. One thing I liked a lot were all the references to the past.

I look forward to read the second book in the duology. When everything goes well,TRIDENTS FORGE will be published in April 2016.
"

No progress


-  260 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I love it.

- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.

- 94 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner



- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I bought several digital copies for 0,99 EUR (=1.06 USD, = 0.70 GBP) each. Often it is just pure luck to discover such temporary valid offers.

As a fan of Victorian London and Sherlock Holmes I read the description of following book with great interest and got hooked.
The House of Moriarty (digital, November 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B010RALV14] by Sam Christer which is a pen name used by author Michael Morley.
"Big Ben chimes in the first seconds of the first day of 1900, the start of a fresh century. Inside London's oldest gaol, preparations are afoot to hang Victorian England's deadliest assassin, a man wanted for two decades' worth of murders.

Cold-blooded killer Simeon Lynch has lived a brutal and glorious life in the employ of the House of Moriarty - the most feared criminal enterprise in the world. Now, as he faces the noose, Simeon learns dark truths about his master, about Sherlock Holmes and about his own past. Truths that make him determined to escape and kill again...

Follow Simeon's bloody footsteps through the capital's cobbled alleyways, wretched workhouses and flash taverns as he crosses swords with Sherlock Holmes and the villainous characters of Victorian London." [Source]

I like to read books where libraries and/or librarian play an important role and that seems to be the case with The Justa Journal trilogy by Brandt Legg.
The trilogy started with The Last Librarian (digital, October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B016VAQVXM] by Brandt Legg.

"In the year 2098, there is no more war, no more hunger and no more pollution. The world is secure and Earth’s 2.9 billion people are healthy and happy. There is also only one remaining library that still houses physical books. In addition to the dusty volumes, the library holds many secrets. But the government has decided to shut it down and burn the contents. Unless an unlikely trio can save the books, humanity will lose more than just what is printed on those antique pages.

With a single government ruling the entire planet, one currency, one language and no religion, the population is unified and enjoying the prosperity that comes with more than seven decades of peace. Free healthcare for all and guaranteed employment make the future a dream. But this future may only be safe if they can hide the past. The books must be saved . . . the impossible task is up to an angry author, a brazen revolutionary and the last librarian. When everything is perfect, the only thing left to fear is the truth." [Source]

From time to time I like to read something more light with a spark of humor. This seems to be the case with The Case of the Tattooed Buttocks (digital, February 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00TA1WAGM] by Alan Hardy. This is the first book The Inspector Cullot Mystery in series. I hope the book will keep what the description promise ......
"A DETECTIVE/MURDER MYSTERY LIKE NO OTHER…

Following the murder of a sexy, blonde bombshell (and, soon after, the bloody, gruesome, shocking murder of yet another sexy broad), ex-Inspector Cullot is called in to team up with his old side-kick, Detective Sergeant Watkins, to investigate the baffling crime. Together they set about solving the mysterious deaths at Bounderdales, the opulent mansion of the oil magnate, Henry Barble. A small group of the rich, decadent, sophisticated and ultra-sexy are staying at the mansion. What secrets are each of them harbouring? Who are the guilty parties? And what is the dark secret from his own past which causes Cullot’s frequent moments of dark despair? Why did he leave the Police Force? Did he jump, or was he pushed? Why does he now work in a department store, in Ladies Underwear? The police constable first on the scene of the initial murder, PC Blunt, is ready to record every detail of the case, and assist his colleagues in their work. But what is his own past..? Is he as half-witted as he seems? What about gorgeous, sexy blonde bombshells, Stephanie and Gloria? And louche, limp-wristed Anthony Newhome? And Barble’s son, Oswald? And Barble’s demure, bespectacled secretary, Abigail? And ex-movie star, Janice Butler? Are they all who they say they are, or are some of them involved in a deadly game of murder and revenge? How are these murders linked to the unsolved Night-Club Hostess Murders which took place two years earlier? And, most puzzling of all, what is the meaning of the tattoos on the gorgeous buttocks of the assembled ladies? Thrill to the suspense, the heart-ache, the twists and turns, the laugh-a-minute of this hilarious, baffling mystery. Get ready to follow the roller-coaster plot, with one surprise after surprise, and scintillating word-play and sparkling dialogue between the marvellous host of characters. Will you be able to work out who did it? A detective/murder mystery like no other…" [Source]







No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The Victorian Skype
There have been a lot of visions of the future in Victorian era. It is incredible to see how many of these visions came true. The telephonoscope shown of at the Public Domain Review is a good example for that



Concrete Architecture
Buildings made of concrete do not invite you with warmth and hospitality. There are buildings which look more like a battleship. WebUrbanist put together pictures of several concrete buildings spread over Europe.






A Day in the Life of an Agent
Maybe I should explain to you that this is not about agents like James Bond. Nowadays nearly every author works together with a literary agent. Do you know the tasks of such an agent? If you would like to know more about literary agents you should head over to the blog of Julie Crispy and read





Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 27 posts are available.

























































That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Of course I still play Fallout 4 and the more I play the more fun I have.
Nevertheless I want to present something different this week. I found a most impressive short movie which I want to share with you.

 "The dark year 2204, in a world that has seen 73 years of continuous war. Recently mankind re-discovered the arts of Shamanism. The Shaman’s school of thought believes that every person or object has a soul. During battle Shamans step over into the Netherworld to find and convert the souls of their enemies’ giant battle machines. This tactic enables a single man to overcome an invincibly seeming steel monster.

This is the story of Joshua, a Shaman, who is sent on a mission to convert the soul of a giant battle colossus. He does not yet know that the soul is prepared for his coming and that the deadly psychological soul-to-soul confrontation in the Netherworld will be on eye level." [Source]

I hope you find some time (16 minutes) to watch it ......

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today's quote is coming from an unforgettable actor and comedian. As far as I can see my wife and I did a good job not to lose the mentioned little spark .............

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Robin Williams, American actor and comedian, 1951 - 2014

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Another Sherlock Holmes book. Very cool.
Still not sure why I agreed to let my wife give me Fallout 4 for Christmas. Next month I'll be able to join you in play though.
Some of those concrete buildings were wild.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
"The House of Moriarty" surprised me in several ways. I finished it toady and work on the review which it deserve because it impressed me.

I was happy that I could spent more time for Fallout 4 as usual. But it will take much more time to finish. Maybe the reason is the way I play. I belong to the people who need to discover everything.
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. The best advice I can give sounds like a platitude:
SAVE OFTEN

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...