Saturday, November 14, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1546

Dear Readers,
to be honest it was more than tempting to skip this post because I want to spend more time for playing two games: FALLOUT 4 and DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN ENHANCED EDITION.
I stopped more or less reading. But if you think I played permanently in the past two days (Thursday and Friday) I must disappoint you. Of course I would like to play 24 hours a day but it will be a dream. There is work to be done at home, the need of sleep, and the need of recharge my battery limited the time for playing.
But here I am and share with you a bit of my game experience and to share with you some good stuff I like.
With all that said let me add that this post is a bit shorter than usual and now


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Space on the ceiling
  2. Drums
  3. Epic Fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fallout 4 Experience
  2. Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to hobby
The Lighthouse
I admit I needed a somewhat lighter read. I was not able to concentrate on one of my current reads. Therefore I was more than happy when  an adventure series in my first language crossed my way. I bought all four available books in the series - you will find the details further down - and managed to read the first book.


I finished

- no book


No progress


-  260 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I love it.

- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.

- 94 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner



- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I won paperback copies of following three books at two giveaway over at The Speculative Herald.

Let me start with the first two books in the portal fantasy series  World of Prime by M.C. Planck. After reading the description of the first book I found it interesting enough to take part in the giveaway and ... I won copies of the first two books in the series.
Sword of the Bright Lady (pb, 2014) [ ISBN-13: 978-1616149888] by M.C. Planck.
"Christopher Sinclair goes out for a walk on a mild Arizona evening and never comes back. He stumbles into a freezing winter under an impossible night sky, where magic is real -- but bought at a terrible price.

A misplaced act of decency lands him in a brawl with an arrogant nobleman and puts him under a death sentence. In desperation he agrees to be drafted into an eternal war, serving as a priest of the Bright Lady, Goddess of Healing. But when Marcius, god of war, offers the only hope of a way home to his wife, Christopher pledges to him instead, plunging the church into turmoil and setting him on a path of violence and notoriety.

To win enough power to open a path home, this mild-mannered mechanical engineer must survive duelists, assassins, and the never-ending threat of monsters, with only his makeshift technology to compete with swords and magic.

But the gods and demons have other plans. Christopher's fate will save the world... or destroy it." [Source]


Gold Throne in Shadow (pb, 2015) [ ISBN-13: 978-1633880962] by M.C. Planck.
"The continuing adventures of Christopher Sinclair, mechanical engineer turned priest of war.

Christopher, raised from the dead and promoted to a moderate rank, takes command of the army regiment he trained and equipped. Sent south to an allegedly easy posting, he finds himself in the way of several thousand rabid dog-men. Guns and fortifications turn back the horde, but Christopher has other problems that cannot be solved with mere firepower: a wicked assassin; hostile clergymen; dubious allies including a bard, Lalania, with a connection to a mysterious group of scholars; and worst of all his own impolitic tongue. But all of these pale into mere distractions once he discovers the true enemy: an invisible, mind-eating horror who plays the kingdom like a puppet-master’s stage. Lalania claims she can help--but will it be enough?" [Source]


Science fiction and locked room mystery set on a generation ship is something I like and it was the reason why took part in the giveaway of the first book in a duology  and I won a paperback copy of
The Ark (pb, 2015) [ ISBN-13: 978-0857664839] by Patrick S. Tomlinson.
"Humankind has escaped a dying Earth and set out to find a new home among the stars aboard an immense generation ship -- the Ark. Bryan Benson is the Ark's greatest living sports hero, enjoying retirement working as a detective in Avalon, his home module. The hours are good, the work is easy, and the perks can't be beat.

But when a crewmember goes missing, Bryan is thrust into the centre of an ever-expanding web of deception, secrets, and violence that overturns everything he knows about living on the Ark and threatens everyone aboard." [Source]


The story will be continued in April 2016 with
The Ark (pb, 2015) [ ISBN-13: 978-0857664839] by Patrick S. Tomlinson.
"The Ark and her thirty-thousand survivors have reached Tau Ceti G and begun the long, arduous task of building their new colony by the sea. Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Tau Ceti G's natives, the G'tel, are coming to grips with the sudden appearance of what many believe are their long-lost Gods. But the first official greeting ceremony between humans and g'tel goes catastrophically wrong, visiting death on both sides. Rumors begin to circulate that the massacre was no accident, and the Ark's greatest hero, Bryan Benson is told to stop coaching his new love of American football and tackle the mystery. Paired up with native 'truth-digger' Kexx, against both of their better judgment, Benson finds himself thrust into the heart of an alien culture with no idea whom to trust, how to speak the language, and how to tell who wants to worship him from who wants to kill him. Together, Benson and Kexx will have to find enough common ground and trust to uncover a plot that threatens to plunge both of their peoples into an apocalyptic war that neither side is prepared for or can afford to lose." [Source]
I ordered a copy in advance.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Space on the ceiling
There are posts which do not need any further introduction because they stand for their on like the following one over at the WebUrbanist just look and enjoy




Drums
The drum is the oldest known instrument in human history.  If you ever visited a rock concert then you know that a drum solo is an essential part of the show. I do not want to talk about who was/is/will be the best drummer in the world. I like to show two videos showing you a great and spectacular event and an amazing piece of drum music.
Let me start with the spectacular show. I need to inform you before that he music quality of the video is worse. But the show is amazing. Have a look at

Mötley Crüe Tommy lee drum solo Grand Rapids

The following drum solo is not as spectacular as the previous one but the percussion arrangement is exquisite. Have a look at and listen to

Neil Peart Drum Solo - Rush Live in Frankfurt




Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 26 posts are available.






















































That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Fallout 4 for PS4

I  GOT  MY  COPY of FALLOUT 4 !!!

Before I tell you about my first steps in Fallout 4 on PS4 I would like to talk about all the blogs, videos and sites springing up like mushrooms. Nearly every single bit of content is exposed by know.
To be honest: I WANT TO DISCOVER THE GAME ON MY OWN !!!


In order to avoid a lot of manual paperwork I used the Fallout4.WikiFallout 4 Character Builder / Perk Calculator. You need to sign up to use it.
The tool just visualize the result of the points you used.
I found it extremely helpful because I could play around with different settings before entering the game.


The second thing I use is a list of materials and the components they consist of.

I play a female character who is an intelligent crafter with sneaking and sniping qualities.

My wife watched the introduction and said it is nightmarish. That means the atmosphere is excellent.
Compared to the previous games Fallout 4 is a lot more colorful. I spent some time only to enjoy sunrise and sundown.
A big surprise have been the radioactive clouds. When the sky turns yellow it is high time to enter a building as soon as possible.
So far I died only once because I overestimated the quality of a specific armor.
I'm very far in the game. My map shows only three places.
I discover my surrounding quite slowly. I like to see that you get experience points for every modification of armor and weapons, for cooking and for discovering new places.

I could not detect any technical problems. The graphic is sufficient for me. I know that there are people who do not like the graphic.

I look forward to continue my journey.

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition for PS4
My wife and I play together the co op game Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. And yes, we are still married !!
Most of the things work well. The music is great and to discover the world without any hints is most satisfying.
After nearly 30 hours we started a new game because we were not happy with our party. The new party (male mage, male rogue, two female rangers) works well.

There is only one totally annoying thing: THE INVENTORY
The inventory management is time consuming. The worst thing is the randomly disappearance of  items we create or buy. We save really often but to save the game before every inventory transaction would make the game unplayable.
So we hope not to lose too many items.

 



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today's quote is coming from the Fallout 4 Launch Trailer above ............

"War never changes.

Phyllis Mcginley, American author, 1905 - 1978

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yellow, radioactive clouds - thanks for the warning. No, I've not played. Had so much going on this week and next that I let my wife talk me into making it a Christmas present. So it's wrapped and hidden. Yeah, bummer, but I'd get nothing done if it wasn't.
I'd seen the footage of Tommy Lee's solo. It's cool and he's a good drummer, BUT - no one beats Peart. Only the drummer for Dream Theater comes close to his ability. Greatest guitarist will always be a matter of opinion, but everyone in the industry would claim Peart the best.
Both series sound interesting. Will download the first of each and see what happens.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex, that's a real bummer!
I hope your wife knows that as soon as you will receive the game you will be lost for her the next days :-)
Nevertheless it is true that as soon as you start playing FALLOUT 4 you will be lost. I'm more than happy to have a few days off and I can play a lot of hours. When I do not play it does not take long until my wife asks me why I don't play - that's love!
Neal Peart is so amazing!

I hope to find some time soon to put my nose into the books I won. I hope they keep what they promise.

Today we met friends and in around 20 minutes I will continue to play...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...