Saturday, October 31, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1544

Dear Readers,
since yesterday I do not feel well. Not sure if a cold is on the way or if I'm just exhausted.Nevertheless I want to write this post and share some information with you.

Today is the last day of October and a lot of people celebrate Halloween. We do not celebrate it but I like all the costumes.
Some of the post content may give you a creepy feeling which I think is not to bad on a day like this.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Books which may interest you 
  3. Books you can get for free
  4. Publishing date of Alt Hist 8
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Gravestone symbols
  2. Black magic
  3. Coin clipping
  4. Submersibles

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Divinity Original Sin Enhanced for PS4

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to love
The Lighthouse
I did not find much time for reading. Therefore I concentrated on Red Mars which is excellent.



I finished

- no book


I'm


-  260 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I love it.



No progress

- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.

- 94 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner



- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Again copies of new books (paperback and digital) found a new home on my book shelves or on my reader.

I spent 0,73 EUR (0.80 USD, 0.53 GBP) for a digital copy of a space opera trilogy.  I talk about The Elfrida Goto Trilogy which is part of the The Solarian Wars Saga (digital, July 2015 [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by Felix R. Savage.
"The year is 2285. Humanity is losing its grip on the colonized solar system. Genocidal AI terrorists ravage far-flung colonies, and the UN bureaucracy is seemingly determined to seize defeat from the jaws of victory.

Elfrida Goto, a Space Corps agent, is responsible for protecting vulnerable space colonists. But a ruthless conspiracy interferes, determined to use her for their own criminal purposes. Her career in ruins, Elfrida confronts the deadly forces threatening the solar system with nothing but courage, her sense of humor, a few good friends, and a sword ... that isn't even hers.

Trapped on a dying space station, stranded in the asteroid belt, and racing across the searing dayside of Mercury, the battle accelerates to a terrifying climax. Elfrida has one last chance to save humanity. But first she'll have to save herself." [Source]

I ordered a paperback copy of the following back in advance and it has been delivered last week.
Black Wolves (paperback, October 2015 2013) [ ISBN-13: 978-0356503202] by Kate Elliott which is the first book in the Black Wolves trilogy.

"An exiled captain returns to help the son of the king who died under his protection in this rich and multi-layered first book in an action-packed new series.

Twenty two years have passed since Kellas, once Captain of the legendary Black Wolves, lost his King and with him his honor. With the King murdered and the Black Wolves disbanded, Kellas lives as an exile far from the palace he once guarded with his life.

Until Marshal Dannarah, sister to the dead King, comes to him with a plea-rejoin the palace guard and save her nephew, King Jehosh, before he meets his father's fate." [Source]

Kate Elliott is a wonderful author. I read some of her books several years ago.


Books which may interest you
Did you like the film In Time starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried?
Time Heist (digital, December 2014)[AMAZON ASIN: B00PJBSL74] by Anthony Vincino which is the first book in the Firstborn Saga.

"We tried to kill ourselves. We had the weapons. We had the desire. Somehow, we failed. Humanity survived. Go figure.

They called it the Dissolution, but it's been a couple hundred years and if you ask around, nobody in Unity remembers what all the fuss was about. What everybody had been so willing to die for. Nobody cares.

I don't, at least. I've done my part. Worked Time Vice for the better part of twenty-years putting the bad guys into a Stream dream. Now I want out.

The numbers on my arm tell me I'll be dead soon. Less than a day left. I can live with that. What I can't live with is knowing a Unity Leader helped Malcolm Wolfe, the man who murdered my wife and a million other innocents, escape prison.

Finding Malcolm means uncovering secrets that could tear Unity apart from the inside. But if I don't stop him, there probably won't be a Unity to save anyhow.

Looks like we might get a chance to wipe ourselves out after-all. Now I just got to catch him before my numbers catch me." [Source]




Books for free
In January 2014 I shared with you my opinion about - Caversham Road (digital, 2013)[AMAZON ASIN: B00CA8J7D6] by Michael Stewart Conway


"When a young woman is found dead on an allotment early one morning, Furnivall and Stubbs are summoned to the scene. She is lying on her back, fully dressed in undamaged clothes, and yet somehow she has bled to death. A monster has come to stay in a slightly run- down suburb in a small town at the heart of Queen Victoria’s Empire. The investigation will take them into the world of hard- headed criminal business as well as to the heart of one man’s madness." [Source]
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I read "Caversham Lock" with a great pleasure. This first "Furnivall and Stubbs Case" delivered such a satisfying read for me.

With "Caversham Road" author Michael Stewart Conway returns to the world Detective Constable Jim Furnivall and Detective Sergeant Harry Stubbs.
Again the author shows his extraordinary talent to animate the gone world of the Victorian era. I love his detailed descriptions of nearly everything important to the story, which is a superb whodunnit with a lot to fathom. Even the name of Sweeny Todd is mentioned, it is not the case of Sweeny Todd.
Furthermore the development of the main characters is excellent.

To be honest, I do not have anything to complain about. This is a crime novel set in Victorian era with top-notch characters and story.

I do not understand why this series has not been picked up by a publisher.

I can't wait to read the next book "Caversham House" and I hope that Michael Stewart Conway will write more Furnivall and Stubbs cases."


For whatever reason I did not read the third book in the series Caversham House.


If you look for top-notch crime novels set in Victorian era with fascinating characters, well researched and with descriptions which let the Victorian era come alive in your head THEN you should by  digital copies.
And to be honest, the price per book is ridiculous low.

I received the information that book four and book five will be free from 1st to seventh of November!

To be honest the price for each book is ONE Euro! Of course I like to get books for free. I buy books because I like to read. I also know that an author needs to earn money. Without money there will be no new books.
In this case I wanted to show my respect for the  books written by by Michael Stewart Conway and therefore I bought the following two books today for two Euro instead of waiting until tomorrow and get them for free.


Under the White Horse (digital, October 2014[AMAZON ASIN: B00OXRVYO2] by Michael Stewart Conway is the fourth Furnivall and Stubbs case.
"Mrs Berengaria Suffolk was lying on her own kitchen floor, looking at the ceiling. At least, she would have been looking at the ceiling if her head hadn't been placed so neatly in the sink. But Mr Furnivall is much more interested in the findings of a properly- constituted inquest in a small town in Wiltshire. If the local police inspector, doctor and solicitor all agree that nothing is amiss, then surely all is well. But Mr Furnivall is not convinced. Furnivall and Stubbs are out of their jurisdiction, and must tread carefully." [Source]



In the Invisible Light (digital, September 2015 [AMAZON ASIN: B015XUK3TY] by Michael Stewart Conway is the fifth Furnivall and Stubbs case.
"Furnivall and Stubbs are sent to Dublin to protect the hangman, who is under threat from a secret society sworn to protect all Irishmen- even murderers- from an Englishman with a rope. But there is more to the trip than they first realise. Meanwhile, at home in Reading, a telegraph boy has gone missing and it seems to have something to do with Horace Maxwell Tapper, a dapper little man who lives in a quiet suburban villa and discreetly rules the world." [Source]
It is definitely time to return to the series. But first I have to finish some of my current reads.









Publishing date of Alt Hist 8 So far I reviewed   Alt Hist Issue 4, Alt Hist Issue 5 and Alt Hist Issue 7. Now Alt Hist issue 8 is available.

Editor Mark Lord put together following stories
  • Demons and the Deep Blue Sea by Andrew Knighton
  • Dewey Defeats Truman by Mark Devane
  • His Last Day by Richard Buxton
  • The Retreat Proceeded Orderly, at Least    by Kenan Orhan
  • The Fullness and the Hollowness by Jonathan Doering
  • Small Miracles by Jonathan Doering
 For all of you who do not know  Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History, let me repeat the explanation by editor Mark Lord.



"Alt Hist, http://althistfiction.com, is the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History. Lovers of historical fiction for too long have been denied outlets for short pieces of fiction, as the number of print and online magazines for historical short fiction is very limited compared to the popularity of fiction set in past times. Alt Hist’s mission is to provide readers with entertaining and well-written short stories with a historical setting, whether portraying actual events or events that could have happened. If you read and enjoy historical fiction, alternate history or historical fantasy then we think you will like Alt Hist." [Source]
Alt Hist Issue 7 is now available at Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Barnes & Noble | Smashwords.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Gravestone symbols
When you look at old gravestones you often can see symbols but you may not know the meaning. Over at WebUrbanist you find the explanation for 15 gravestone symbols.



Black magic
Black magic is nothing new. Over at The Public Domain Review you can have a look into an 18th century black magic manual. 



Coin clipping
Did you know that coin clipping was an act of high treason in the 17th century. There is an enlightening post available over at English Historical Fiction Authors.



Submersibles
Did you know that the first submersible attack took place in September 1776? Sounds nearly unbelievable. For details please visit English Historical Fiction Authors and read






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Today I got neither a film trailer nor something related to FALLOUT for you.
On last Wednesday we received our highly awaited copy of Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition and today I want to share first impressions. My wife and I found some time to pay together. The co-op mode works perfect. The organisation of the inventory maybe not perfect but that does not matter when you discover all the things you can do.
One thing is most important: Save often!
Later today we want to continue the discovery of the world.
It works exactly as described in the following video review.

If you have a PS4 and a partner that love this kind of game as you do then you will have a lot of fun and entertainment



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There is nothing to add to following quote .............................

"A kiss is a lovely trick, designed by nature, to stop words when speech becomes unnecessary.

Ingrid Bergman, Swedish movie actress, 1915 - 1982

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Solarian Wars Saga looks good.
Will pass on the black magic though.
Sorry you've not felt well this week. We don't celebrate Halloween either, but we did watch a Western with horror elements last night.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
it seems all I need is a rest soon. Fortunately I will have some days off starting at November 12th.
I hope I feel better afterwords.
Sometimes it is good to have a look at books from not so well know authors.

Now the Fallout 4 "fever" is rising.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...