Saturday, October 24, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1543

Dear Readers,
in the night from 24th to 25th of October 2015 the European Union change time from Central European Summer Time (CEST) back to Central European Time (CET) which means the weekend will last one hour longer.
I know it will take some days until I get used to the changed time. Our cat is a creature of habit and she does not like any change of her feeding time.
I'm not sure if this one additional hour will be enough to reduce my backlog
of feedly entries and mails. It is always incredible to see what I receive within three days.
I think I mentioned last week that I attended a three day SharePoint training course in the past days.



ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. The Gollancz Festival Sale 2015
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Witches
  2. Back to the roots
  3. Beautiful Bookstores
  4. Oranges
  5. Epic fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Luck/Gück
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to life
The Lighthouse
I finished one book which did not convince me and continued three books. Red Mars is still amazing.



I finished

- What Remains of Heroes (digital, April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WBTLL60] by David Benem.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The more I read the more I lost contact to the story and the characters.
I finished the book because I hoped it would change but that did not happen.

I'm sure that there will be readers who will like it a lot. But for me this was a prologue with the length of a book. Maybe the real story will start in the second book.

So what remains of Heroes? In this case not much.
Nevertheless this has nothing to do with the fact that this is a self-published book.
I started reading "The Weight of a Crown" by Tavish Kaeden - also a self-published book - and I like it a lot more.

What Remains of Heroes did not work for me."



I'm

- 94 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner
Good stuff.



- 65 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.
A small progress

-  188 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I love it.




No progress

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

The list of new books I bought/received last week is a lot smaller compared to the previous one.


Sometimes one has to react fast. Today I checked my books to buy list over at Amazon and when I saw the offer for following book in  digital format (the price dropped from 8,49 EUR to 0,99 EUR !!) I hit the to buy button immediately.
Herald of the Storm (digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ABLJ41E] by Richard Ford which is the first book in the Steelhaven series.
"Welcome to Steelhaven...

Under the reign of King Cael the Uniter, this vast cityport on the southern coast has for years been a symbol of strength, maintaining an uneasy peace throughout the Free States.

But now a long shadow hangs over the city, in the form of the dread Elharim warlord, Amon Tugha. When his herald infiltrates the city, looking to exploit its dangerous criminal underworld, and a terrible dark magick that has long been buried once again begins to rise, it could be the beginning of the end." [Source]
This book has been on my list for a while. I read some reviews by blogger whom I trust and they have not been disappointed.
I admit that without the cheap offer it would be still on my to buy list.

ATTENTION!
In case you are interested in the book too then you should check Amazon in your country because at least in UK and US the cheap price is offered too.
Just check price for Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00ABLJ41E



Two weeks ago I bought a copy of The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series.
Last week I could not resist to buy a copy of the second book in the series:
A Soldier of Substance (digital, October 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge.
"1644. The smoke of parliamentary musket, cannon, and mortar fire is in the air around the royalist stronghold of Lathom House. Though guards still stand atop its walls, it is besieged on all sides, and it is only a matter of time until the house, along with its embittered and unwavering countess, Lady Charlotte de Tremouille, falls to Parliament’s might. Yet somehow, a royalist spy still creeps, unseen, through its gates, and brings the countess Parliament’s secrets.
Ba
rely recovered from the trials of the last few months, Daniel Cheswis is torn from his family and sent north, to uncover the identity of the traitor; though before he can even begin, Cheswis finds himself embroiled in a murder. A woman has been garrotted with cheese wire in her Chester home, suggesting there is more than just the usual hatreds of war at play.

As lives are lost and coats are turned on both sides, Cheswis is tasked with finding the murderer, uncovering the traitor, and surviving his soldierly duty long enough to see Lathom House fall." [Source]
I know it is not logical to buy a second book in a series without reading the first one. But what is logic when it comes to books ....


I like the Gideon Smith series a lot and therefore I ordered a copy of the third book in advance and it arrived a few days ago.
Gideon Smith and the Mask of the Ripper (October 2015) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-0765334268] by David Barnett.
"In an alternate ninteenth century where a technologically advanced Britain holds sway over most of the known world and the American Revolution never happened, young Gideon Smith is firmly established as the Hero of the Empire.

Back in London, Gideon and his colleagues: journalist Aloysius Bent, airship pilot Rowena Fanshawe, and Maria, the mechanical girl to whom Gideon has lost his heart, are dragged into a case that is confounding the Metropolitan Police. For the city is on the edge of mass rioting due to the continuing reign of terror by the serial killer known only as Jack the Ripper, who is rampaging though London's less salubrious quarters.

While chasing the madman, a villain from their past strips Gideon Smith of his memory and is cast adrift in the seedy underbelly of London, where life is tough and death lurks in every shadowy alley.

With mob rule threatening to engulf London, the Empire has never needed its hero more...but where is Gideon Smith?

Gideon Smith and the Mask of the Ripper is the latest in David Barnett's riproaring steampunk adventures about a Britain that never was...but should have been." [Source]
I knotted my fingers together literally in order to hinder myself to start reading it immediately.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Witches
What do you know about witches? Can you identify one? Did they exist and are they still among us?
Maybe it would be wise to have a look into the past in order to see how our ancestors coped with witches. Good to know that one can be certain that a topic like is will be picked up overt at The History Girls



Back to the roots
Nowadays most navigation is done by using satellites and other devices.
But electronic devices can be hacked and manipulated. And there is no exclusion of navy.  But which mariner is able to navigate by using stars? The US Navy identified this weak spot and started to take action. For details including a view into the past visit The History Girls and read




Beautiful Bookstores
There is nothing more to add. Visit WebUrbanist and have a look at



Oranges
Yes, I talk about fruits. But do you know that around 110 years ago oranges played a certain role in art? In case you don't believe me you should visit The Public Domain Review and enjoy





Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 22 posts are available.




























That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Less than four weeks to go until one of my most anticipated video games will be available:


Until then I will enjoy the FALLOUT 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. video series.

Today is the time for the seventh and last video in the series and it is about LUCK or as we say in German GLÜCK :-)
I'm sure that Bethesda will come up with some more footage in the remaining two weeks in order to keep attention on a high level.



Star Wars: The Force Awakens
I know that some of my followers are Star Wars fans and especially for them I share following trail which is something special. This trailer contains all available teaser and trailer in a chronological order and I must it is well done.
I hope you will enjoy

Star Wars: THE FORCE AWAKENS - Supercut of ALL trailers



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote is still valid despite the fact that we now use online bookstores too ..............................

"There must be more to life than having everything.

Maurice Sendak, American writer and illustrator of children's books, 1928 - 2012

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

New trailer looks great - gritty and realistic. Still cautiously optimistic though.
Sorry, just couldn't get into the Gideon Smith series. And will probably avoid What Remains of Heroes.
We don't go back to our normal time until next month!
Now to go check out some bookstores.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
sorry for the delayed reply.

We can't like all books. Fortunately there are so many books we can try. Furthermore it is good to know people who share the same taste.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...