Saturday, October 17, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1542

Dear Readers,
October 2015 is a crazy month in every aspect.
I have to work a lot and it seems the more I work the more books I buy and the less books I read.
It seems to be a period of time where the number of special offers for books I'm interested in is rising.
Every new Fallout 4 trailer is taking my mood to the sunny side.
Not to forget Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced a co-op game which I can't wait to play together with my wife.

Beside that I will attend an external three day SharePoint training course together with a colleague next week.
And the month will end with the visit of a fair on 30th of October.
Like in the past years my wife and I will spend a day at the Kreativ Welt Messe in Frankfurt. It is a large creative exhibition where you can discover ad buy stuff for hobbies like sewing, knitting and much more.

The most tricky thing this month is to find time for reading and for playing Fallout 3. It is impossible for me to finish Fallout 3 before the release date of Fallout 4.

Seems I'm a bit bubbly today. I think the reason for that is my good mood after watching again the atmospheric Fallout 4 The Wanderer Trailer. If did not see it so far then scroll down and have a look.

I must say Mars (the planet) is a hot topic for me.
On Monday my wife and I saw . This is such an excellent film and actor Matt Damon did a great job acting as astronaut Mark Watney.
It does not matter whether you read The Martian (digital, February 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00FAXJHCY] by Andy Weir (my review) before like me or not like my wife.
For me this is definitely on of the best films in 2015. Of course you can't put everything written into a film. But The Marsian captured the mood and the technical aspects perfectly.

Nevertheless I highly recommend to read the book even you saw the film because author Andy Weir did a great job.

Not to forget that there are more books where plays a significant role. I show you a trilogy in the book section.

I hope you did not get bored.

Now discover the rest of the post and


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. The Gollancz Festival Sale 2015
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Unexploded Bombs
  2. The Strength of Nature
  3. Something from Outer Space
  4. Executions
  5. The Victorian Cult of Death
  6. DIY Halloween Masks
  7. Epic fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Agility/Beweglichkeit
  2. The Wanderer Trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to openings
The Lighthouse
I created a new bookshelf on GOODREADS: tried-but-not-for-me. This is not my own invention. A lot of other people have a similar bookshelf. I will use it for all the books I tried to read but gave up after 50 pages or more. I think this a better place for some books than my did not finish shelf.
In order to decide what to read next I started to put my nose into several books and read one or two chapters to get a first impression. Nevertheless I stick to my rule to read 50 pages in order to convince to read the rest.


I finished

- no book



I'm

- 53 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner
Only a small progress.


- 116 pages in What Remains of Heroes (digital, April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WBTLL60] by David Benem.
I have mixed feelings. There has been a longer period without the main character. The story switched to other characters and I was not interested in all of them. Will see how the story will continue.

- 58 pages in The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.
Good to see that Francis Bacon, Thomas Clarady, Benjamin Whitt and Lady Alice Trumpington aka Trumpet are back.
Anna Castle continues the series on a high level. I like it

-  109 pages in Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
This was my reading highlight of the week. I'm so glad I picked up this book. Kim Stanley Robinson is an excellent story teller. The description of a society containing of 100 persons and their relationships is  intricate and the author handles it so well.


 while What a boozy main character. Interesting.
here

No progress

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

- no book

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This is the next bunch of digital copy which I either bought or got for free.
As you can see it is much easier to get new books than to read the ones I own.

I continue with the presentation of digital copies which I bought recently.

There is one advantage when you buy books published ten or more years ago. A lot of them have been converted into digital format and you can buy whole series at once.
So far I did not read one book by Kim Stanley Robinson. But that changed due to my purchase of the whole Mars trilogy in digital format. As you could read above I started to read the first book and it is amazing.

Red Mars (first 1992; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
"In his most ambitious project to date, award-winning author Kim Stanley Robinson utilizes years of research & cutting-edge science in the 1st of a trilogy chronicling the colonization of Mars: For eons, sandstorms have swept the desolate landscape. For centuries, Mars has beckoned humans to conquer its hostile climate. Now, in 2026, a group of 100 colonists is about to fulfill that destiny. John Boone, Maya Toitavna, Frank Chalmers & Arkady Bogdanov lead a terraforming mission. For some, Mars will become a passion driving them to daring acts of courage & madness. For others it offers an opportunity to strip the planet of its riches. For the genetic alchemists, it presents a chance to create a biomedical miracle, a breakthrough that could change all we know about life & death. The colonists orbit giant satellite mirrors to reflect light to the surface. Black dust sprinkled on the polar caps will capture warmth. Massive tunnels, kilometers deep, will be drilled into the mantle to create stupendous vents of hot gases. Against this backdrop of epic upheaval, rivalries, loves & friendships will form & fall to pieces--for there are those who will fight to the death to prevent Mars from ever being changed.

Brilliantly imagined, breathtaking in scope & ingenuity, Red Mars is an epic scientific saga, chronicling the next step in evolution, creating a world in its entirety. It shows a future, with both glory & tarnish, that awes with complexity & inspires with vision." [Source]

Green Mars (first 1993; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
"The second volume in the bestselling Mars trilogy – and now part of the Voyager Classics collection.

Mars can be plundered – for the benefit of a ravaged Earth. It can be terraformed to suit Man’s needs – frozen lakes form, lichen grows, the atmosphere slowly becomes breathable. But most importantly, Mars can be owned. On Earth, countries are bought and sold by the transnationals. Why not Mars too?

Man’s dream is underway, but so is his greatest test. The survivors of the First Hundred – Hiroko, Nadia, Maya and Simon among them – know that technology alone is not enough. Trust and co-operation are need to create a new world – but these qualities are as thin on the ground as the air they breathe." [Source]

Blue Mars (first 1996; digital, April 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Kim Stanley Robinson.
"The final novel in the worldwide bestselling Mars trilogy, now part of the Voyager Classics collection.

Mars has grown up.

It is fully terraformed – genetically engineered plants and animals live by newly built canals and young but stormy seas.

It is politically independent. A brave and buzzing new world. Most of the First Hundred have died. Those that remain are like walking myths to Martian youth.

Earth has grown too much.

Chronic overpopulation, bitter nationalism, scarce resources. For too many Terrans, Mars is a mocking utopia. A dream to live for, fight for… perhaps even die for." [Source]

I got a digital copy of the following book for free.
The Case of the Six Watsons (digital, September 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by Robert Ryan.

"A collection of six stories, inspired by Arthur Conan Doyle's originals and adapted to feature much-loved Dr John Watson, Sherlock Holmes's long-suffering sidekick." [Source]
How could I resist to get a book with six short stories starring Dr. John Watson.










Last week I talked about The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] by DW Dawbridge which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series. It did not take that long to decide that I would like to get a copy and I bought one.
"1643. The armies of King Charles I and Parliament clash in the streets and fields of England, threatening to tear the country apart, as winter closes in around the parliamentary stronghold of Nantwich. The royalists have pillaged the town before, and now, they are returning. But even with weeks to prepare before the Civil War is once more at its gates, that doesn’t mean the people of Nantwich are safe.

While the garrison of soldiers commanded by Colonel George Booth stand guard, the town’s residents wait, eyeing the outside world with unease, unaware that they face a deadly threat from within. Townspeople are being murdered – the red sashes of the royalists left on the bodies marking them as traitors to the parliamentary cause.

When the first dead man is found, his skull caved in with a rock, fingers start being pointed, and old hatreds rise to the surface. It falls to Constable Daniel Cheswis to contain the bloodshed, deputising his friend, Alexander Clowes, to help him in his investigations, carried out with the eyes of both armies on his back. And they are not the only ones watching him.

He is surrounded by enemies, and between preparing for the imminent battle, watching over his family, being reunited with his long-lost sweetheart, and trying, somehow, to stay in business, he barely has time to solve a murder.

With few clues and the constant distraction of war, can Cheswis protect the people of Nantwich? And which among them need protecting? Whether they are old friends or troubled family, in these treacherous times, everyone’s a traitor, in war, law, or love.

When the Winter Siege is through, who will be among the bodies?" [Source]
This historical mystery sounds promising to me. Such kind of books are a good contrast to the science fiction books I read.



ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !!

This weekend the Gollancz Festival 2015 takes places. In case you do not have the opportunity to be in London like me you can participate online. Have a look at

There is one event which you should definitely not miss which is


From 16th to 18th October you can buy digital copies of 60 books which you find by clicking on the link above.
"If eBooks are more your style we’ve got over 60 titles at just £1.99. Now is the perfect time to try new authors, pick up old favourites in a new format or stock up your eReader. We have a full list of all 60 eBooks on sale."
I checked Amazon.com, Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk and it seems the reduced prices are not limited to UK.
Nevertheless check the price before you buy!

I bought copies of following two books and paid 2,49 EUR (= 1.84 GBP; 2.84 USD) each which is incredible when you look at the release date of the following book.
Luna: New Moon (digital, 17th September 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00VRT927A] by Ian McDonald
"The scions of a falling house must navigate a world of corporate warfare to maintain their family's status in the Moon's vicious political atmosphere.

The Moon wants to kill you.

Maybe it will kill you when the per diem for your allotted food, water, and air runs out, just before you hit paydirt. Maybe it will kill you when you are trapped between the reigning corporations-the Five Dragons-in a foolish gamble against a futuristic feudal society. On the Moon, you must fight for every inch you want to gain. And that is just what Adriana Corta did.

As the leader of the Moon's newest "dragon," Adriana has wrested control of the Moon's Helium-3 industry from the Mackenzie Metal corporation and fought to earn her family's new status. Now, in the twilight of her life, Adriana finds her corporation-Corta Helio-confronted by the many enemies she made during her meteoric rise. If the Corta family is to survive, Adriana's five children must defend their mother's empire from her many enemies... and each other." [Source]

As well the second book is a science fiction one.
Luna: New Moon (digital, 17th September 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00JDQEETK] by Tony Gonzales
"They left Sol in two great ships, carrying with them the last hope for humankind. Destined for different stars, their mission was to ensure the survival of our species. One ship was never heard from again. Decades later, the other arrived at a lifeless world, where the survivors learned that Earth was lost not to famine, but to an alien species determined to eradicate humans from existence.

Man is not alone in the universe, and the last of us are hunted. Driven by strong characters facing tremendous odds, Tony Gonzales delivers SF in the grandest tradition: an epic adventure full of colossal ships, vast battles and unimaginable challenges." [Source]
My collection of science fiction novels is growing and I read some really good ones this year.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Unexploded Bombs
There have been a lot after the end of the Vietnam War. Fortunately people are creative. Over at WebUrbanist you can see what you can do with unexploded bombs.




The Strength of Nature
Fortunately the world did not face an atomic war so far and I really hope that this will never happen. What will happen with nature after an atomic war?
We don't know but we can see what happens in the Fukushima area. The pictures shown over at WebUrbanist give a good impression. I must say parts of some of the pictures reminded me of the Fallout games ...




Something from Outer Space
How do aliens look like? Thin body, huge head, and large eyes as we seem to know since the Roswell Incident. One could think that there have been earlier visits from outer space. The following post over at The Public Domain Review





Executions
I like posts which start like
"This is a gruesome post. If you are squeamish, don't read on."
To be honest I'm not sanguinary. We all know that executions belong to the history of mankind and they are still  not extirpated.
There has been a time in England when executions were common and looked like an event for the whole family. There is an interesting post about executions over at The History Girls




The Victorian Cult of Death
Compared to moder times the Victorian society had a special relationship to death and dying. There is a quite interesting post regarding this matter available over at The Virtual Victorian





DIY Halloween Masks
Halloween is coming nearer and you maybe in the need of a mask. In case you need some inspiration. Then you should visit WebUrbanist and have a look at 




Epic Fantasy - Update
Some of you may find it boring when I post these links again and again. But Adam Whitehead is still adding new content and the post series is excellent.
Visit The Wertzone and enjoy the amazing post series. Maybe you will find some books you haven't read yet.  In the meantime 18 posts are available.























That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Less than four weeks to go until one of my most anticipated video games will be available:

Until then I will enjoy the FALLOUT 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. video series.

The sixth and last but one video is available and it is about AGILITY or as we say in German BEWEGLICHKEIT :-)


Now only one Special is left: LUCK




THE WANDERER TRAILER
They a so clever at Bethesda. They know how to arise interest in FALLOUT 4.
I think I watched the following (ONE MINUTE !!) trailer more than a dozen times.
I

Of course I can't wait to get my copy of Fallout 4.

BUT

I don't forget the game to be released on 27th of October 2015:
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Normally I don't use much magic in role playing games. I prefer to be an archer. That may change with this game after I saw following trailer showing combat details of the game:





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote is still valid despite the fact that we now use online bookstores too ..............................

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?

Henry Ward Beecher, American clergyman and abolitionist, 1813 -1887

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Getting closer to the Fallout release!
Keep us posted on the Heroes book. Whether I read it or not will depend on your review.
The Mars series looks interesting.
Tried reading one of the books from the Top Fantasy list - Under a Colder Sun - but wasn't getting into it. Started something else and will come back to it later.

Zoltán Gecse said...

October is exhausting to me also. Quarterly reports and financial close of Q3, preparing forecast and next year budget.

Divinty and Fallout 4 looks cool, but I more interested about the new Star Wars Battlefront game. :)

I'd like to mention last week was the yearly greatest board game fair and exhibition at Messe Essen. I'd like to visit it one time.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

of course I will keep you and all other readers update on the Heroes book. I will do my best to delivery proper information.

I will do the same with the Mars trilogy.

I must say I was not really interested in "Under a Colder Sun". I find "The Weight of a Crown" by Tavish Kaeden more interesting.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

so we both do not like October when it comes to daily work.
Fingers crossed that you do not need to spend to many extra hours.
is exhausting for you too. Gecse said...

I hope you will get the opportunity to enjoy the new Star Wars Battlefront game.

I know you like board games a lot and you review them regularly on your blog. Therefore I fully understand your wish to visit the games fair in Essen.
There is no real substitute for a visit in person.
Nevertheless I'm sure that you know that over at youtube there are several videos in English which present games shown in Essen. Most f them are previews.
But I found one video which has been created during the fair.
Maybe you don't know it.

Essen 2015 Press Room Runthrough

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...