Saturday, October 10, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1541

Dear Readers,
another busy working week is over. My backlog of unread mails and blog posts is growing. Seems I need a few days off to go through all of them.
I started to gather information for this post on Friday evening which is nearly the worst time to do that because at the end of the working week I'm tired.
But as we will visit friends on Saturday afternoon and I want the post to be out on Saturday I had to do that.

Hope you will like the mix of information I put together for you.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. #SPFBO and an important and interesting question
  2. I will never cross this bridge
  3. Mudlarking
  4. A battle as a backdrop for a novel
  5. Mad Tales
  6. The Swiss Army Knife
  7. Epic fantasy - Update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Intelligence/Intelligenz
  2. Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition 
  3. Sherlock Christmas special

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to openings
The Lighthouse
I created a new bookshelf on GOODREADS: tried-but-not-for-me. This is not my own invention. A lot of other people have a similar bookshelf. I will use it for all the books I tried to read but gave up after 50 pages or more. I think this a better place for some books than my did not finish shelf.
In order to decide what to read next I started to put my nose into several books and read one or two chapters to get a first impression. Nevertheless I stick to my rule to read 50 pages in order to convince to read the rest.


I finished

- A Murder of Mages (digital, July 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00PT4J12K.] by Marshall Ryan Maresca.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Kevin recommended the book and I'm happy that I followed the recommendation in this case. Thank you Kevin!

A Murder of Mages delivers a fantasy world which is in this case a really big town enriched with magic. The police procedural is described very well and the inspector tandem reminds in some aspects of Holmes and Watson.
The the two main characters are the stars of the book.
I like Satrine Rainey and Minox Welling a lot and their first case is full of twists and turns. The blend of work and private life is excellent.
It is a dark novel

I would have liked to get more information about the town and more fleshed out secondary characters.

All in all a more than promising start of a new series.

There is a second series set in the same town which I need to discover too."



I'm

- 33 pages in When the Heavens Fall (digital, May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WQ5CUX2] by Marc Turner
I like the prose and the characters presented so far. Will definitely continue reading.

- 65 pages in What Remains of Heroes (digital, April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WBTLL60] by David Benem.
What a boozy main character. Interesting.


No progress

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


Tried but did not work for me

A Crown for Cold Silver (pb, September 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0356502830] by Alex Marshall - So for nobody knows the real author behind the pen name.

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I read the first part of the book (300 pages). But the only part I found interesting was the first chapter.
I really hoped that I would like the prose and could connect to the characters but it did not happen within the next 25 chapters.

I have to accept that the book did not work for me.

A classic example for right book wrong reader or vice versa."


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I continue with the presentation of digital copies which I bought recently.


On January 4th, 2015, I posted my review of Death by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by Anna Castle which is the second book in her Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series.  


Today (October 10th) is the publishing date of the next Francis Bacon Murder Mystery and I have already received my digital copy of The Widows Guild (digital, 10th October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B0165YN9PW] by Anna Castle.
"London, 1588: Someone is turning Catholics into widows, taking advantage of armada fever to mask the crimes. Francis Bacon is charged with identifying the murderer by the Andromache Society, a widows’ guild led by his formidable aunt. He must free his friends from the Tower, track an exotic poison, and untangle multiple crimes to determine if the motive is patriotism, greed, lunacy — or all three." [Source]
On January 4th, 2015, I posted my review of Death by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by Anna Castle which is the second book in her Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series
I enjoyed the book a lot and therefore I will definitely have a look at The Widows Guild when we come back home late this evening.


The second book is by an author which I see quite often on Amazon when I look for science fiction books.
The Oncoming Storm (digital, September 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00UXX5BLM.] by Christopher Nuttall which is the first book in the Angel in the Whirlwind series.
"In the year 2420, war looms between the galaxy’s two most powerful empires: the tyrannical Theocracy and the protectionist Commonwealth. Caught in the middle sits the occupied outpost system Cadiz, where young officer and aristocrat Katherine “Kat” Falcone finds herself prematurely promoted at the behest of her powerful father. Against her own wishes, Kat is sent to command the Commonwealth navy’s newest warship, Lightning.

Determined to prove she has value beyond her family name, Kat struggles to earn her crew’s respect and find her footing as the youngest captain in naval history. She soon discovers the situation on Cadiz is even worse than anyone in power anticipated. War isn’t just a possibility—it is imminent. Yet the admiral in position to bolster defenses refuses to prepare for a fight. Can Kat find a way to investigate the enemy, alert the Commonwealth, and whip an entire fleet into fighting shape before the Theocracy’s war machine destroys everything she holds dear?" [Source]


What shall I say about author Peter F. Hamilton? Pandora's Star  and Judas Unchained belong to my favorite science fiction books.  I think it is worth to discover books not set in the Commonwealth universe.

Therefore I bought the first book in the Night's Dawn trilogy The Reality Dysfunction (digital, reprint 2006) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK21DA] by Peter F. Hamilton.I admit I looked twice at the number of pages information because it showed 1236 pages!! I checked immediately the other two books and they also stand each for more than 1200 pages!! That means to be "occupied" for weeks.
"In AD 2600 the human race is finally beginning to realize its full potential. Hundreds of colonized planets scattered across the galaxy host a multitude of prosperous and wildly diverse cultures. Genetic engineering has pushed evolution far beyond nature’s boundaries, defeating disease and producing extraordinary spaceborn creatures. Huge fleets of sentient trader starships thrive on the wealth created by the industrialization of entire star systems. And throughout inhabited space the Confederation Navy keeps the peace. A true golden age is within our grasp. But now something has gone catastrophically wrong. On a primitive colony planet a renegade criminal’s chance encounter with an utterly alien entity unleashes the most primal of all our fears. An extinct race which inhabited the galaxy aeons ago called it “The Reality Dysfunction”. It is the nightmare which has prowled beside us since the beginning of history. ‘Absolute vintage science-fiction." [Source]



So far I read to short stories in the Detective Lavender Mystery series by Karen Charlton. On seventh of October 2015 the second full novel has been published and I bought a copy of The Sans Pareil Mystery (digital, October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK21DA] by Karen Charlton.

"On a cold February night in Regency London, a dark curtain falls on the Sans Pareil Theatre following the death of April Clare, a promising young actress, whose body is found in mysterious circumstances.

Detective Stephen Lavender and his dependable deputy, Constable Woods, quickly discover that nothing is quite as it seems. As successive mysteries unfold, they soon realise that it is not only the actors from the Sans Pareil who are playing a part.

With the Napoleonic War looming dangerously across the Channel, this is a time of suspicion and treachery. Following the clues from the seedy back streets of Covent Garden up through the echelons of society, Lavender and Woods begin to fear that the case is much bigger than they’d dared imagine—and worse, that they are at risk of becoming mere players in a master criminal’s shadowy drama.

It will take all of Lavender’s skill and wit, and help from the beautiful Magdalena, to bring the mystery of the Sans Pareil Theatre to a dramatic conclusion in the final act." [Source]


From time to time I like to read mysteries - especially murder mysteries set in the past combined with a historical background.I admit I have a knack for this kind of stories set in England but I'm also open minded for other regions of the world which shows the acquisition of following book which I found over at Chanticleer Book Reviews. Murder at the Leopard (digital, October 2012) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B009UH7T58.] by R M Vassari  and Lucia Oliva Lampe is the first book in The Vespers Trilogy.
"Murder and political intrigue are the key elements in this mystery novel set in exotic and politically tense 13th century Sicily. "Murder at the Leopard" uses a detailed knowledge of the period and locale with many of the characters taken straight out of the mosaic of original 13th and 14th century Sicilian contracts.

A glittering commercial prize in the wars and politics of the Mediterranean, Sicily has been variously ruled by Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Normans and the Holy Roman Empire. Ironically, the island’s current peace and prosperity has come about only through the oppressive and exploitative 15-year rule of Charles of Anjou, brother to Louis IX, soon to be St. Louis, King of France. Despite the spiritual atmosphere of Holy Week festivities in 1281 Palermo, an angry tension simmering among the native populace rides uneasily just below the surface calm.

Still, most residents go about their daily lives as the political intrigue plays out in Naples, the site of Charles’ royal court. Charles’ justice system becomes reality, however, when a drunken wealthy merchant is murdered in Palermo’s streets after leaving The Leopard, a neighborhood tavern. The owner, Amodeus de Rogerio, takes the murder personally. Unfortunately, he’s also the prime suspect and is incarcerated within hours of the murder. His saucy wife, Ysabella, is left with their newly opened business, their 7 year old scamp of a son, and only a limited time to find the real culprit. With streets teeming with paupers and pilgrims, friars and farmers, aristocrats and almoners, all in town for the holidays, Ysabella finds many suspects, both strangers and friends.

A second murder soon follows, and the reputation of The Leopard is on the line. Regular customers are fearful of being the next victim, and the multitude of visitors in town for Holy Week don’t want to drink in a murderer’s den either. In her quest to restore The Leopard’s good name and save her husband, Ysabella and her family uncover illicit love affairs, long-kept secrets, and rebel spies.

But will she find the killer before the hangman’s noose finds her husband?

Murder at the Leopard is the first book of a trilogy of murder mysteries set in 13th century Sicily written by RM Vassari and Lucia Olivia Lampe. The "Vespers Series" is set between 1281 and 1283, a period of violence and tension that saw the overthrow of French Angevin rule by an island-wide uprising known now as the Sicilian Vespers.

The tales are richly woven using a detailed knowledge of the period and locale, with many of the characters taken from real life." [Source]
The second is available too. Malice stalks the Leopard (digital, October 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00GANYUDY] by R M Vassari  and Lucia Oliva Lampe
You find more information about The Vespers Trilogy over at the official blog.





The final book for today is the third book in the Toxic World series.
We Had Flags (digital, October 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B015N5D8TQ.]  by Sean McLachlan
"A law doesn't work if everyone breaks it. For forty years, New City has been a bastion of order in a fallen world. One crucial law has maintained the peace--it is illegal to place responsibility for the collapse of civilization on any one group. Anyone found guilty of Blaming is branded and stripped of citizenship. But when some unwelcome visitors arrive from across the sea, old wounds break open, and no one is safe from Blame." [Source]
So far I read the first book which I enjoyed.






No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



#SPFBO and an important and interesting question
In the last week I talked about 


The Great Self-published Fantasy Blog-off!

started in March 2015 by author Mark Lawrence.

Maybe you have had a look at

Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off

and you discovered some interesting books.

Of course such an event leads to important and interesting questions like


Thanks to author Geoff Matthews  who put this question to all involved blogger and posted the result over at Fantasy Faction. Some answers surprised me and some I more or less expected.

I'm open-minded when it comes to self-published books. It is the same with books published by one of the big publisher. You need to find the one you like.
One thing is for sure. Without the development of digital books I would have missed several good books.



I will never cross this bridge
I'm scared of heights. Everything above two meters is a nightmare for me. Even the pictures of the bridge shown over at WebUrbanist made me feel giddy ...




Mudlarking
Interested in history and living near or in London or visiting London soon?
Then you should definitely read the following post over at The History Girls




A battle as a backdrop for a novel
You find battles in the history of nearly every country. Some of them are well known and famous like Waterloo. Others like the Battle of Nantwich a less known. But as you can see the latter got at least a Wikipedia entry. Authors of historical fiction and mysteries like to use events like battles as a backdrop for their novels. To do that delivers a lot of advantages when it comes to scenery and description of daily life. Author DW Dawbridge used the the Battle of Nantwich as a backdrop for his novel  The Winter Siege (digital, September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FGYSJNA] which is the first book in his Daniel Cheswis Mystery series.
He wrote an interesting post about the Battle of Nantwich over at the English Historical Fiction Authors.






Mad Tales
Author Christopher Fowler started a new post series presenting mad tales of London. If you like London and you want to get to know other aspects of the town you should have a look at




The Swiss Army Knife
In my youth it was a dream of nearly every boy to get a Swiss Army Knife. The more tools it contained the better. There is an informative post over at Atlas Obscura




Epic Fantasy - Update
In the past weeks I informed you about an excellent post series over at The Wertzone. Adam Whitehead, who is the mastermind of the blog, started to write about the history of epic fantasy. In the meantime 15 posts are available and they are excellent.





















That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Six weeks to go until one of my most anticipated video games will be available:

Until then I will enjoy the FALLOUT 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. video series.

The fifth video is available and it is about INTELLIGENCE or as we say in German INTELLIGENZ :-)


Now only two Specials left: AGILITY and LUCK  Finally I ordered a copy of FALLOUT 4 for PS4 in advance. It is a kind of preferred Christmas gift.


DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN ENHANCED EDITION
My wife and I love to play role playing games on consoles. Sitting in the preferred chair and in front of  a big screen. So far we could not play together the same game at the same time. But that will change at the end of the month.
We ordered a copy of Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition for PS4 which offers an awesome coop mode. The following video shows what to expect in the coop mode. We look forward to enter the game.




Sherlock Christmas special
I'm a big fan of the BBC ONE Sherlock series starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Doctor John Watson.
I can't wait to see the next Sherlock special set in Victorian London!!
This is the official TV trailer


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Advice for rpg players ..............................

"Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.

Laura Schlessinger, American talk radio host, 1947 -

4 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

The new Sherlock episode looks cool!
Wish I have to time play with Divinity... or the new SW Battlefront game.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks again for posting a link to the self-published fantasy books. Several were added to my iPad.
A boozy character, huh? Still looking forward to reading that one.
Hope you had a great day with your friends. It's good to get out and laugh and share with others.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

so far I could no find information when the Sherlock Homes special will be aired in other countries than UK.

When it comes to play Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced I have an advantage compared to you.
I can play it together with my wife AND our daughter is grown-up.
The only thing I do not know is if I'm not too tired in the evening. This is an exhausting month when it comes to work. To be part of a project team means no nine to five job ...

Fingers crossed that you find time to play Divinity or the new SW Battlefront game.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

always a pleasure to deliver something useful.
We have had a great day with our friends yesterday.
I hope to find some time for reading today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...