Saturday, October 03, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1540

Dear Readers,
The change from Win XP to Win 7 took much longer as I expected. Windows updates caused a lot of problems and I had to use restore points several times.
I spent a lot of hours. By end of 1st of October I have fixed all problems and installed all programs. The only hardware we have to replace is the scanner. I could not find any Win 7 driver for it.

There was nearly no time left for reading.
I must say I'm really happy with my the  Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" with MATE desktop  installation on my Lenovo T520.
I'm also happy with the use of feedly to manage the blogs I follow.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. #SPFBO
  2. There are fewer than 200 in the world
  3. Water on Mars ?!
  4. 3D print Mars habitat candidates
  5. Permanent bold, black ink tattoos
  6. Be a detective and support an author 

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Charisma/Charisma
  2. X-Files

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to problems
The Lighthouse
There was not much time left for reading due to the change of operating system on the PC of my wife.



I finished

no book


I'm

- 154 pages in A Crown for Cold Silver (pb, September 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0356502830] by Alex Marshall - So for nobody knows the real author behind the pen name.
No time to continue the book.


- 216 pages in A Murder of Mages (digital, July 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00PT4J12K.] by Marshall Ryan Maresca.
I expect to finish the book during this weekend.

No progress

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

A new month means a new budget for buying books. I will present the real books (paperbacks) and digital copies which I ordered in advance when they arrive.
Today I will present you the first of digital copies which I bought yesterday evening.
These five books have one thing in common. They belong to the ten finalists  of an event initiated and maintained by author Mark Lawrence .  For details please look at the section with heading #PSFBO in this post.
Out of the ten books I picked the five which l found most interesting.

The books are shown in no specific order.


To be honest I like heroes who return seem to have understood their lessons from the past. Normally the cover is not that important for me. But in this case I really like the cover which put me immediately in the right mood for the book.
I talk about What Remains of Heroes (digital, April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WBTLL60] by David Benem.
This is the first book in the A Requiem For Heroes What series.
"Lannick deVeers used to be somebody. A hero, even. Then, he ran afoul of the kingdom’s most powerful general and the cost he paid was nearly too much to bear. In the years that followed, his grief turned him into a shadow of his former self, and he spent his days drowning his regrets in tankards of ale.

But now an unexpected encounter casts Lannick upon an unlikely path to revenge. If he can just find the strength to overcome the many mistakes of his past, he can seize the chance to become a hero once more.

And with an ancient enemy lurking at the kingdom’s doorstep, he’d better…" [Source]



I was hooked by the following book when I read that the main character is a thief with morals.
I talk about The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids (digital, November 2012) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00AF97702] by Michael McClung.
This is the first book in the The Amra Thetys series.

""They butchered Corbin right out in the street. That’s how it really started. He was a rogue and a thief, of course. But then, so am I. So when he got himself hacked up in front of his house off Silk Street, I decided somebody had to be made to pay. They thought that they could just sweep him away like rubbish. They were wrong."

Amra Thetys is a thief with morals: She won't steal from anybody poorer than she is. Fortunately, anybody that poor generally doesn't have much worth stealing! But when a fellow thief and good friend is killed in a deal gone wrong, Amra turns her back on burglary and goes after something far more precious: Revenge." [Source]
You should know that there are two more books in the series are available.
Book 2:
The Thief Who Spat In Luck's Good Eye (digital, April 2012) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B007VDJ13Q

Book 3:
The Thief Who Knocked On Sorrow's Gate (digital, December 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00ONJ8EDO

Furthermore you can get an omnibus containing all three books.
Pulled Spat Knocked: The Amra Thetys Chronicles, Books 1, 2 & 3 (digital, December 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00QUM4GAW]




Priest (digital, 2010) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B003OIBG44] by Matthew Colville. When I saw the title of the book for the first time I did not want to read the book description. For me the word Priest is inseparably connected to church and religion. This is not my favorite topic.
Fortunately I read the description of the first book in the Ratcatcher series.

"A Fantasy Novel.

After years spent in the inn he bought and never opened, Heden is drawn out, and sent into a dark forest to investigate the death of a knight.

Nothing is what it seems. Why was Heden chosen for this mission? Who killed the knight and why? Why won't anyone talk to him? As the Green Order awaits Heden's final judgement, he finds his morality, perspective, and sense of self are each challenged and then destroyed.

Perhaps nothing, even right and wrong, can survive in the haunted wood." [Source]
The series continues with  Thief: A fantasy Hardboiled (digital, April 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B003OIBG44].




Based on the book description The Weight of a Crown (digital, 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B003OIBG44] by Tavish Kaeden does not seem to deliver something new. It is one of the main characters who made me nosy. An epileptic engraver's apprentice as a main character is completely new to me. 
"THE WEIGHT OF A CROWN

Thousands dream of it; still more die for it. Yet, how many can truly bear it?

After centuries of bitter conflict the realm of Esmoria is at last united under the banner of a single king. On the surface the realm appears to be enjoying its first taste of peace, but lingering resentment and the untimely death of the new ruler threaten to return Esmoria to political chaos.

Meanwhile, in the farthest reaches of the frozen north, a dethroned monarch's plot for revenge awakens a long-forgotten evil. As darkness and treachery descend upon the realm, a young escapee from a forced labor camp, a disenfranchised soldier, and an epileptic engraver's apprentice find themselves at the heart of the troubles." [Source]
The Azhaion Saga series continues with The Point of a Blade (Digital, February 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00IARSM1O] .




This is the last book for today. There are so many coming-of-age fantasy novels available and I'm not too keen to read one more starring a 13-year-old boy as main protagonist.My interest in Bloodrush (Digital, December 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00QL15SRC] by Ben Galley rose quickly when I read about the setting: A western world infused with magic .

""Magick ain’t pretty, it ain’t stars and sparkles. Magick is dirty. It’s rough. Raw. It’s blood and guts and vomit. You hear me?”

When Prime Lord Hark is found in a pool of his own blood on the steps of his halls, Tonmerion Hark finds his world not only turned upside down, but inside out. His father's last will and testament forces him west across the Iron Ocean, to the very brink of the Endless Land and all civilisation. They call it Wyoming.

This is a story of murder and family.

In the dusty frontier town of Fell Falls, there is no silverware, no servants, no plush velvet nor towering spires. Only dust, danger, and the railway. Tonmerion has only one friend to help him escape the torturous heat and unravel his father’s murder. A faerie named Rhin. A twelve-inch tall outcast of his own kind.

This is a story of blood and magick.

But there are darker things at work in Fell Falls, and not just the railwraiths or the savages. Secrets lurk in Tonmerion's bloodline. Secrets that will redefine this young Hark.

This is a story of the edge of the world." [Source]
The Scarlet Star Trilogy continues in Bloodrush (Digital, December 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B0112NDN6Q]




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



#SPFBO
In March 2015 author Mark Lawrence started the
The Great Self-published Fantasy Blog-off!

I do not want to repeat the details in full length. Just click on the link above.
In case you don't have time to do that I give you a short summary.

Final goal is to raise interest for self-published fantasy books.
Mark Lawrence chose 250 books out of 275 sent to him by authors.
Ten book blogger then received 25 books each and got the task to nominate their favorite.

This highly interesting project reached the second phase in August 2015.
It is now up to the ten blogger to read and review each of the ten finalists.

You find all ten finalists plus the score list with links to each review on following post which Mark Lawrence is keeping up to date.

Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off

This is a great and exciting opportunity to discover self-published books.
Based on the book descriptions and the so far available reviews from the ten blogger I bought some of them or got them for free.

"A good number of these books are free on Amazon, none of them are expensive. I invite you to give them a go and post your review/reactions in the comments section."
 As Mark Lawrence stated above, you can participate by posting your comments in the review section.

I look forward to discover some of these books.
Autumn and Winter are great seasons for reading. Sitting in your favorite chair, a mug of tea and some cookies in reach and new books in any format ready to be read ......




There are fewer than 200 in the world
What am I talking about? It is neither cars nor books nor plants nor animals.
I talk about a profession which is important for most fantasy books. Without the products manufactured by the masters of this profession a lot of stores would look quite different.
Let me add two words to the heading and you will understand:
There are fewer than 200 master blade smiths in the world
Have look at the enlightening and informative post over at the WebUrbanist




Water on Mars ?!
Sensational news reported by An Artful Blogger



3D printed Mars habitat candidates
Nobody knows when the first manned mission to Mars will start. But around the world people work on mission details. One thing you definitely will need is an habitat. There is a NASA challenge in progress and over at the  WebUrbanist you can have a look at the finalists.





Permanent bold, black ink tattoos
Nowadays tattoos are nothing unusual.  Nevertheless permanent bold, black ink tattoos are still something special. The WebUrbanist present a collection of 13 artists using black ink for tattoos. Have a look at  





Be a detective and support an author
You like detective stories and in your dreams you are as successful as Sherlock Holmes, Miss Jane Marple ,Hercule Poirot, and  Sam Spade?
You would like to solve a case and support an author by doing that.
Then you should read immediately the following post by author Amelie Wendeberg:


From my point of you that is something worth to spend time for in case you like to be a detective and you have some time to spend for it. I lack the latter.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Six weeks to go until one of my most anticipated video games will be available:

Until then I will enjoy the FALLOUT 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. video series.

The third video available and it is about CHARISMA or as we say in German CHARISMA :-)


Finally I ordered a copy of FALLOUT 4 for PS4 in advance. It is a kind of preferred Christmas gift.


X-FILES
I look forward to see the return of the X-FILES in form of a six-episode event series. Welcome back Fox Mulder and Dana Scully! I missed you.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I faced and had to cope with a lot of problems in the past week. The following quote fits more or less with the situation I faced.

"If a problem has no solution, it may not be a problem, but a fact - not to be solved, but to be coped with over time.

Shimon Peres, Israeli statesman (Polish-born), 1923 -

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What Remains of Heroes does sound good.
Only two hundred bladesmiths in the world? Now that is a dying art.
I'll pop over in a moment and check out the ten finalists.
Looking forward to the return of the X-Files!

Stephanie Faris said...

I used to work in I.T...we had an old piece of software that didn't work easily on Windows 7. It threw up a couple of boxes that people had to cancel. My coworker argued that we should downgrade all the new computers that came in to Windows XP--so he did. I finally started leaving them with 7 but he was still downgrading for three years or so. I left to become a full-time writer around the time the deadline came, so guess who had to upgrade all those old computers by himself? That coworker! Justice!!!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
on Sunday evening I read the first chapter of "What Remains of Heroes" and the main character - Lannick - is in a bad condition which is the cause of trouble ...
That means one do not fall in love with the main character but the story sounds interesting.

Unfortunately there are a llot more dying arts which is so sad.

Hope you find some of the finalists interesting too.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Stephanie,
thanks for stopping by. I think it is not bad to stick with Windows XP on PC with a specific purpose. I know several people who still use Windows XP because they use specific software which rus on XP only. BUT all these PC do not have an internet connection.
I think that as soon as you do online banking it would be good to change to Windows 7.

I must say I never read before that someone started to downgrade all PC in a company. This was/is no wise decision and in the end the coworker had to pay the bill.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...