Sunday, September 13, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1537

Dear Readers,
There was not much time on Saturday to write the post because my wife and I went to see a musical. We liked it a lot. It is incredible what most of the non professional actors delivered. Following trailer gives an impression.

As always I tried to find some interesting posts for you. Today most of them are related to writing experience and research.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Pedestriennes
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Writing experience
  2. Research I
  3. Research II
  4. Research III
  5. Something creepy
  6. Epic Fantasy update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Ímportance of Being Earnest Strong

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to castles
The Lighthouse
I finished one book, continued one of my current reads and could not resist to put my nose into a new book. This is the short version of my reading experience last week


I finished

- The Revenant of Thraxton Hall (digital, March 2014)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK218K] by Vaughn Entwhistle
Truly Victorian.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I admit I was not sure if the team based on the real persons Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde would work. First of all Doyle is not Holmes and Wilde is not Watson which is good. I liked that Doyle and his immortal creation had some inner dialogue. All in all this is a good Victorian/Gothic mix. Victorians loved supernatural stuff and the author knows how to deal with that."


I'm


- 322 pages in Judas Unchained  (first published in 2004; digital 2004)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B000FCKPJ4] by Peter F. Hamilton
A progress of 111 pages is not bad. Still 430 pages to go until the end. It is still amazing to get new points of view on events from the past by small revelations. 

- 72 pages in A Crown for Cold Silver (pb, September 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0356502830] by Alex Marshall - So for nobody knows the real author behind the pen name.


No progress

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I have to admit that I'm a bit behind with presentation of books I bought and/or got for free.I checked my to buy/bought book list and this is the first part of books I missed to show. The second part will follow next week.

I have a knack for strong female characters. Back in July 2015 I discovered  A Crown for Cold Silver (pb, September 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0356502830] by Alex Marshall ( So for nobody knows the real author behind the pen name) and ordered a copy in advance. The copy arrived a few days ago and I could not resist to put my nose into the book as you could read above. I know the some of the book blogger I trust did not like it. In this case I want to make my own experience and so far (72 pages) A Crown for Cold Silver works for me ......
"An outstanding, game-changing epic fantasy debut featuring an unforgettable female warrior.

FIVE VILLAINS. ONE LEGENDARY GENERAL. A FINAL QUEST FOR VENGEANCE.

Twenty years ago, feared general Cobalt Zosia led her five villainous captains and mercenary army into battle, wrestling monsters and toppling an empire. When there were no more titles to win and no more worlds to conquer, she retired and gave up her legend to history.

Now the peace she carved for herself has been shattered by the unprovoked slaughter of her village. Seeking bloody vengeance, Zosia heads for battle once more, but to find justice she must confront grudge-bearing enemies, once-loyal allies, and an unknown army that marches under a familiar banner." [Source]

There is only one crime fiction series set in present time which I really love and where I have read six of the available seven books so far. I talk about the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series by Ed James.
In the meantime book seven is out and of course I needed a copy of
Cowboys and Indians (digital, 31st August 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Z9ZE1WE].
"With a series of male rapes around Edinburgh puzzling police, a bloodied corpse is found in the shadow of Edinburgh’s Dean Bridge, half-naked and battered. Who is he? Did he fall or was he pushed?

As the victim is identified, the case only gets murkier. Detective Sergeant Scott Cullen of Police Scotland’s Edinburgh Major Investigation Team is sucked into the depths of the city’s financial services sector, facing up to some old enemies and creating some new ones. Just months into his new role, Cullen is torn by the trials of a management role, putting a friendship on the line. New leads take them no further forward — too many suspects in a world where nobody trusts anyone and all are out for themselves. Can Cullen catch a killer who could be anyone?

From bestselling author Ed James, Cowboys and Indians is a tightly woven, gripping crime novel challenging the honesty of professional liars." [Source]

I discovered the next book within following post over at Fantasy Book Critic.


Black Cross (digital, January 2015)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B00RH7F3OM] by J. P. Ashman
which is the first book in the Black Powder Wars series.
"Arcane magic can be a ruinous power, despite admirable intentions.

A mysterious scroll finds its way into Lord Severun’s hands, enabling him to release a dangerous experiment upon Wesson. With Sergeant Falchion unable to forgive himself for aiding the wizard, and desperate factions taking advantage of the devastating aftermath, Falchion embarks on an arduous quest alongside friends and strangers alike. However, even if their attempt to seek aid is successful and the city is saved, they risk revealing a secret that threatens much more than Wesson alone.

From a fantasy world not too dissimilar to our own dark and bloody histories, the beginning of an epic tale is told. Incredible magic is unleashed, allies become enemies; unlikely friendships are forged, and a foul plot is discovered that will shatter the long lasting peace of Altoln and her allies, plunging them into a gritty, brutal conflict that falls far from the fluffy fairytales of old." [Source]

The last book for today I discovered while strolling around Amazon. The description of The Arcanist (digital, July 2015)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B011NK2D8C] by Greg Curtis
"Edouard Severin was useless. Happily useless.

The third son of Count Argus Severin he would not inherit the title of count nor the reins of House Barris. He was free to do what he liked with his life provided he didn't embarrass his family. And what he liked was to live in his ancient fort in the town of Breakwater, tinker with his machines and play with his magic. Life was good.

Then the city of Theria was attacked by a herd of stampeding mammoths, his older brother Marcus turned up on his doorstep in the middle of the night demanding his help, and he suddenly had to put his skills to use in investigating the crime.

Little did he know that the attack was merely the first step in a plan to seize control of the Kingdom of Therion, or that the one responsible would be a member of his own family." [Source]
I visited the author's blog where I found a post in which Greg Curtis explained where he got the idea for The Arcanist from. 14 years ago I have been totally fascinated by the role-playing video game Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura commonly known as just Arcanum. My daughter spent endless hours with the game. Exactly this game inspired  Greg Curtis !!

There is no way out. Even I'm aware that this is not the first time I mention Arcanum, I can't resist to show you the intro which I still remember.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I like to read when authors talk about writing experience and research. It shows that it is not that easy just to sit down an write a book. All the research deliver new knowledge for me about certain period of time, about specific historical events and persons.
Look at all the fantasy books with a medieval setting. You will understand and imagine a lot with some historical background information. I think this one of the reasons why I like fantasy and historical fiction.

Writing experience
It is tough for an author without a contract with one of the big publishers to arise interest for his/her book. Author Johnathan Bergeron is working on the sequel of  Android Hunters (digital, November 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00Q3B5NCU] which is the first book in The Corli Saga.
In order to build up a readership, he started to publish chapters of his new book over at Wattpad.
Now he shared his experience which maybe interesting for readers and authors. I can't tell anything about Wattpad because I'm not a member.



Research I
Historical fiction delivers always something related to real places and persons. It is not always possible to visit places in question in person. Instead there is the possibility of armchair travelling.
Anna Castle is the author of the Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series. I  reviewed of Death by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW]  which is the second book in the series. For more information please visit

Anna Castle is an experienced armchair traveller and she shared her experience a couple of days ago:

Research II
I'm sure I do not need to tell you about what happened in London of 1888. Now we are in 2015. How many places still exist after 117 years?  You find the answer in an excellent post over at The History Girls:



Research III
In case of historical fiction it is also inevitable to get background information which may have an indirect impact on your story or sometimes delivers a new twist for your story. There is a good example for that over at the English Historical Fiction Authors.




Something creepy
I don't want to give anything away. Therefore I "masked" the post header.
Just visit the WebUrbanist and have a look at





Epic Fantasy - Update
In the past weeks I informed you about an excellent post series over at The Wertzone. Adam Whitehead, who is the mastermind of the blog, started to write about the history of epic fantasy. In the meantime TEN posts are available and they are excellent.













That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Less than two months to go until one of my most anticipated video games will be available:

Until then I will enjoy the FALLOUT 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. video series.

The first video is now available and it is about STRENGTH or as we say in German STÄRKE.
I'm happy to present you the video in two different languages.



From my point of view the pictures are self-explanatory. Nevertheless I look forward to the the rest of the videos.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Sometimes I find quotes which just put a smile on my face and I look knowingly .....


"Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics live in them. My mother cleans them.

Rita Rudner, American comedian, 1953 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've held back from Wattpad, so I'll definitely read what he had to say about his experience.
Fallout 4!!!! Can't wait.
Curious about the creepy now...

ediFanoB said...

Wattpad seems to be a tricky thing.

Nothing to add to your Fallout 4 comment :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...