Sunday, September 06, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1536

Dear Readers,
I hope the won't become a habit to post my weekly post on Sunday instead of Saturday. Friday has been a really long and exhausting working day. Therefore I deeded some rest and some PC free time on Saturday.

I admit that this issue is more on the historical side but for me history is  something which belongs to fantasy one way or the other.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Pedestriennes
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Battle of Agincourt
  2. Why babies in medieval paintings look like ugly old men
  3. Elizabethan Theatre
  4. London 1190
  5. A special analog map
  6. Epic Fantasy update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Martian

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to happiness
The Lighthouse
However I finished two books which surprised me as I could not spend much time for reading.

I finished

- Fog (1/2986) (digital, March 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B00T1HEZKY] by Annelie Wendeberg

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Before I share some thoughts about the second book in the series, I want you to take the following warning given in the description seriously:

Warning: This book does not attempt to prettify war. Do not buy if you abhor violence, intense language, and non-explicit sex.
The dystopian story of the unique protagonist Mickaela Capra - a girl with a horrible past - continues exactly at the point when book one ended. But one should not understimate the importance of other characters, especially Runner McCullough. A. Wendeberg is good in surprising her readers to let the story go into unexpected directions. With all the action and violence it is easy to lose sight of the scientific, religious, political and historical background which gives the story even more depth and let you start to think about events taking place in our real world. The BSA (= Brothers and Sisters of the Apocalypse) reminded me of the terror organisation IS.

I admit I was a bit shocked by the end. What a dramatic cliffhanger!! But this end forced me to get the next book as soon as possible because I can't wait to find out how the story will continue."


- Ice (1/2986) (digital, March 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B013ZS1XA4] by Annelie Wendeberg
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Before I share some thoughts about the third book in the series, I want you to take the following warning given in the description seriously:

This book is not for sissies. Stay away if you can’t deal with F-bombs, C-bombs, war, sex, and animals being killed and eaten.

How would the story continue after the cliffhanger at then end of book two Fog. Ice continues two years later. What happened in the meantime? A. Wendeberg reveals Micka's fate in small pieces interspersed in the current events. With every new detail one understands more why Micka has to go on a long journey with one aim but an uncertain outcome. I was impressed by the support she got from people unknown to her. There are more people who believe in Micka and her mission than one would expect. And within all the brutality and desperation small islands in form of beauty deliver tiny moments of peace.
Like I mentioned in my thoughts about Fog it is important not to underestimate the scientific, religious, political and historical background.

And again like the previous Fog Ice ends with uncomfortable uncertainty or as the author states at the end: "I know it sucks when you want to read the next book in the series and the author hasn't finished it yet. I'm on it. Really.""




I'm


- 167 pages in The Revenant of Thraxton Hall (digital, March 2014)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK218K] by Vaughn Entwhistle
Truly Victorian.


No progress

- 211 pages in Judas Unchained  (first published in 2004; digital 2004)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B000FCKPJ4] by Peter F. Hamilton


- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I bought one digital copy. It is one more book in my growing list of science fiction titles.

Ghosts of Innocence (digital, 2014)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B00KUEXBAM] by Ian S. Botts
"Master assassin Shayla Carver has killed many times. That's what assassins do, nothing to lose sleep over, but this mission is different. She's never killed a whole planet before. In a time when Earth is little more than a legend, life is dangerous for wayward colonies. Everyone fears the Emperor's power to order a Cleansing, the burning of all traces of civilization from the face of a planet. Shayla's own home world was Cleansed, and now, years later, she's ready to exact payment in kind. But her meticulous planning didn't prepare her for living undercover amongst some of the two billion people she's about to slaughter. Ordinary people. Not the strutting Imperials readily dismissed as legitimate targets or collateral damage. Then there's the Emperor himself. An ordinary man with troubles and dreams of his own. Did this man really order the slaughter of innocents? Can she? Now she's starting to lose sleep." [Source]
I found the description quite interesting.


Pedestriennes
To be honest I did not had any clue when I discovered the following book:
The Pedestriennes: America's Forgotten Superstars (digital, January 2015)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B00SXBM632] by Harry Hall
""The Pedestriennes: America's Forgotten Superstars" tells the little-known story of a handful of late 19th century female athletes who dazzled America with their remarkable performances in endurance walking. Frequently performing in front of large raucous crowds, pedestriennes walked on makeshift tracks setup in reconfigured theatres and opera houses. Top pedestriennes often earned more money in one week than the average American took home in a year. Newspapers reported on their achievements and interviewed the champions. Their walking outfits became fashion plates, their pictures were sold in stores and they made personal appearances as national celebrities. The pedestriennes' exploits reshaped the country's attitudes about what women could accomplish and established the foundation for modern sports, the revival of the Olympic Games and the suffragist movement." [Source]
Now I know at least a little bit more these forgotten heroines.  I added the boo to my list.




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The Battle of Agincourt
You may have read or heard about this famous battle taken place in northern France in the year 1415.
Would you like to learn more about this battle from the foremost expert?
Then I have good news for you which I found over at the MEDIEVALISTS NET. There will be a free two week online course taking place in October 2015.
For details follow this LINK.
There is an introductive trailer available which of course I share with you.


Why babies in medieval paintings look like ugly old men The answer is given in following video.



Elizabethan Theatre
Maybe you read and/or heard about the famous Globe Theatre associated with William Shakespeare..
There is an informative post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors.




London 1190
How did the town look like in 1190? Would you like to get some more information about that. Then head over to the English Historical Fiction Authors and have a look at



A special analog map
Sometimes it is like an real art to fold analog maps properly. You may say who cares in the age of the availability of digital maps. But analog maps come in handy as soon as you have no connection. Thanks to people with clever ideas it is possible to get analog maps which you do not need to fold. Instead you squeeze them. How?
Just visit the WebUrbanist and have a look at





Epic Fantasy - Update
 Last week I informed you about an excellent post series over at The Wertzone. Adam Whitehead, who is the mastermind of the blog, started to write about the history of epic fantasy. In the meantime seven post are available and they are excellent.









UPDATE 2015-09-07!
Adam Whitehead is busy as a bee. Now part eight is available.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I did not find an interesting trailer to share. Instead I come back to the book which soon will be a movie:
The Martian (digital, February 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00FAXJHCY] by Andy Weir (my review).

Today I want to share two videos with you.
The first one  - Our Greatest Adventure - is promotional stuff for the upcoming movie but it is excellent stuff. It makes even more eager to see the film.

You may know Adam Savage as the co-host of the television series MythBusters. Beside that he is also an excellent interviewer. I was more than happy when I found the following video showing Adam Savageinterviewing author Andy Weir.
I was surprised how fast the vivid, entertaining and informative 55 minutes interview passed. I'm happy I spent the time to see and enjoy it.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I need to verify the following quote for my own .....


"Ask yourself whether you are happy and you cease to be so.

John Stuart Mill, English economist and philosopher, 1806 - 1873

4 comments:

Experion Institute said...

Thanks for sharing such a useful information. It is very useful and interesting.
Experion Institute, Inc.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not sure Wendeberg's books are for me. The third one has a cool cover though.
Glad to see you picked up Ian's book.
And London has seen more transformations than any city in the world.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Experion Instute,

thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,

I admit that the Annelie Wendeberg's books are no books for everyone. I must say that I tried not to imagine seveeral scenes in detail.
It is always worth to discuss how much violence is necessary and how explicit must it be.
In case of A. Wendeberg's book it is a walk on a knife's edge.

I found the book by Ian via your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...