Saturday, September 19, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave #1538

Dear Readers,
incredible but true today is Saturday, I slept well last night and there is nothing else which hinder me to write my post today. Finally the rain stopped and sunbeam find their way through holes in the clouded sky and lift my mood.
I look forward to a FALLOUT 3 session late afternoon while my wife will visit a friend.

Of course I will finish the post first.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Canals of Mars
  2. Abandoned Spacecraft
  3. Libraries
  4. Guns
  5. Epic Fantasy update

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Perception/Wahrnehmung

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to body
The Lighthouse
Even I did not finish a book I'm happy with my reading progress. I finished one book, continued one of my current reads and could not resist to put my nose into a new book. This is the short version of my reading experience last week


I finished

- no book


I'm


- 712 pages in Judas Unchained  (first published in 2004; digital 2004)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B000FCKPJ4] by Peter F. Hamilton
A progress of 390 pages is like reading a "normal" paperback. I'm sure I will read the remaining 190 pages until the end of next week. There is so much going on in the book that I need take a break here and then in order not to miss details. Investigator Paula Myo is one of my favorite characters.


- 142 pages in A Crown for Cold Silver (pb, September 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0356502830] by Alex Marshall - So for nobody knows the real author behind the pen name.
At least I read 70 more pages. After a grim start the author introduce characters and the world in an entertaining way.

No progress

- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] by Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This is the second part sharing with you books which I bought recently.

As a member of GOODREADS I receive book recommendations. It does not happen very often that I pick up an recommendation. I must say I was beating about the bush when it cam to the following book and it has been a recommendation which finally convinced me to buy a copy of
A Murder of Mages (digital, July 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00PT4J12K.] by Marshall Ryan Maresca which is the first book in the The Maradaine Constabulary series.
"A Murder of Mages marks the debut of Marshall Ryan Maresca’s novels of The Maradaine Constabulary, his second series set amid the bustling streets and crime-ridden districts of the exotic city called Maradaine. A Murder of Mages introduces us to this spellbinding port city as seen through the eyes of the people who strive to maintain law and order, the hardworking men and women of the Maradaine Constabulary.

Satrine Rainey—former street rat, ex-spy, mother of two, and wife to a Constabulary Inspector who lies on the edge of death, injured in the line of duty—has been forced to fake her way into the post of Constabulary Inspector to support her family.

Minox Welling is a brilliant, unorthodox Inspector and an Uncircled mage—almost a crime in itself. Nicknamed “the jinx” because of the misfortunes that seem to befall anyone around him, Minox has been partnered with Satrine because no one else will work with either of them.

Their first case together—the ritual murder of a Circled mage— sends Satrine back to the streets she grew up on and brings Minox face-to-face with mage politics he’s desperate to avoid. As the body count rises, Satrine and Minox must race to catch the killer before their own secrets are exposed and they, too, become targets." [Source]
The setting and the characters sound interesting - a mother of two is not an expected main character.
As you could read in the description this is the first book in the second series by author Marshall Ryan Maresca.
The most interesting thing regarding both series is the fact that they both take place in the same town. This also the reason why also bought a copy of the other series in order to see how it works for readers to read two different series by same author taking place in the same town.

The Thorn of Denton Hill (digital, February 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00LMGLZYG.] by Marshall Ryan Maresca which is the first book in the Maradaine series.
"Veranix Calbert leads a double life. By day, he’s a struggling magic student at the University of Maradaine. At night, he spoils the drug trade of Willem Fenmere, crime boss of Dentonhill and murderer of Veranix’s father. He’s determined to shut Fenmere down.

With that goal in mind, Veranix disrupts the delivery of two magical artifacts meant for Fenmere's clients, the mages of the Blue Hand Circle. Using these power-filled objects in his fight, he quickly becomes a real thorn in Fenmere's side.

So much so that soon not only Fenmere, but powerful mages, assassins, and street gangs all want a piece of “The Thorn.” And with professors and prefects on the verge of discovering his secrets, Veranix’s double life might just fall apart. Unless, of course, Fenmere puts an end to it first." [Source]

While preparing the information about the two books by Marshall Ryan Maresca, I discuss with myself if one of these books will be the next one I want to read.
The opponent is a copy of the following book which I bought a few hours ago due to two reasons: It has been offered for 99 EUR Cents!! (= 1.13 USD; 0.73 GBP) and it is taking place on Mars. 
I talk about Champion of Mars (digital, April 2012) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B007ZB9XEG] by Guy Haley.
"In the far future, Mars dies a second time. The Final War between man and the spirits is beginning.

In a last bid for peace, disgraced champion Yoechakanon Val Mora and his spirit lover Cybele are set free to find the long-missing Librarian of Mars, the only hope to save the remnants of mankind. In the near-future Dr Holland, a scientist running from a painful past, joins the Mars colonisation effort, cataloguing the remnants of Mars' biosphere before it is swept away by the terraformation programme.

When an artefact is discovered deep in the caverns of the red planet, the actions of Holland and his team lead to tragedy, with profound consequences that ripple throughout time, affecting Holland's present, the distant days of Yoechakanon, and the eras that bridge the aeons between." [Source]

Maybe you want to pick up a copy of Champion of Mars by Guy Haley.
I don't know how long the offer will be valid.
Just check the following links



 The last two books for today belong to the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton set in his Commonwealth Saga universe. Last month I bought a copy of  The Dreaming Void  (first published in 2007; digital 2008)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK218K] and copies of book two and three followed. For me it is good to know that one of my favorite characters - Investigator Paula Myo - appears in the trilogy.
The Temporal Void  (first published in 2007; digital 2008)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK219E] by  Peter F. Hamilton is the second book in the Void Trilogy.


"The Intersolar Commonwealth is in turmoil as the Living Dream's deadline for launching its Pilgrimage into the Void draws closer. Not only is the Ocisen Empire fleet fast approaching on a mission of genocide, but also an internecine war has broken out between the post-human factions over the destiny of humanity.

Countering the various and increasingly desperate agents and factions is Paula Myo, a ruthlessly single-minded investigator, beset by foes from her distant past and colleagues of dubious allegiance...but she is fast losing a race against time.

At the heart of all this is Edeard the Waterwalker, who once lived a long time ago deep inside the Void. He is the messiah of Living Dream, and visions of his life are shared by, and inspire billions of humans. It is his glorious, captivating story that is the driving force behind Living Dream's Pilgrimage, a force that is too strong to be thwarted. As Edeard nears his final victory the true nature of the Void is finally revealed." [Source]


The Evolutionary Void  (first published in 2007; digital 2008)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B003XREHVK] by  Peter F. Hamilton is the third and final book in the Void Trilogy.
"Exposed as the Second Dreamer, Araminta has become the target of a galaxywide search by government agent Paula Myo and the psychopath known as the Cat, along with others equally determined to prevent-- or facilitate --the pilgrimage of the Living Dream cult into the heart of the Void. An indestructible microuniverse, the Void may contain paradise, as the cultists believe, but it is also a deadly threat. For the miraculous reality that exists inside its boundaries demands energy--energy drawn from everything outside those boundaries: from planets, stars, galaxies... from everything that lives.

Meanwhile, the parallel story of Edeard, the Waterwalker -- as told through a series of addictive dreams communicated to the gaiasphere via Inigo, the First Dreamer -- continues to unfold. But now the inspirational tale of this idealistic young man takes a darker and more troubling turn as he finds himself faced with powerful new enemies -- and temptations more powerful still.

With time running out, a repentant Inigo must decide whether to release Edeard's final dream: a dream whose message is scarcely less dangerous than the pilgrimage promises to be. And Araminta must choose whether to run from her unwanted responsibilities or face them down, with no guarantee of success or survival. But all these choices may be for naught if the monomaniacal Ilanthe, leader of the breakaway Accelerator Faction, is able to enter the Void. For it is not paradise she seeks there, but dominion." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



The Canals of Mars
The Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli is inseparably connect to the planet Mars.  A mistranslation of one of his observations inspired the theory of life on Mars and also found the way into science fiction as you can read over at Hodderscape.




Abandoned Spacecraft
No. Unfortunately no. I can't present you an abandoned alien spacecraft I found in the wood near my home. Of course I would like to do that.  In order to discover abandoned spacecraft on Earth you have for example to travel to Russia or instead visit the WebUrbanist and have a look at




Libraries
I like libraries and you can find astonishing ones around the world. But they are nothing compared to the libraries I found over at WebUrbanist. I must say the pictures presented in the following post unsettled me. These are not the libraries I would like to visit. In order to build up your mind have a look at




Guns
When it comes to weapons, especially guns it seems there is only one maxim:
The Bigger The Better
The following post I discovered over at Dark Roasted Blend looks like a proof for that. Have a look at





Epic Fantasy - Update
In the past weeks I informed you about an excellent post series over at The Wertzone. Adam Whitehead, who is the mastermind of the blog, started to write about the history of epic fantasy. In the meantime ELEVEN posts are available and they are excellent.













That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Less than two months to go until one of my most anticipated video games will be available:

Until then I will enjoy the FALLOUT 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. video series.

The second video is now available and it is about PERCEPTION or as we say in German WAHRNEHMUNG.
I'm happy to present you the video in two different languages.

From my point of view the translation is good. Nevertheless I appreciate that the German edition will include the option to play the game in English.





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I really like following quote. The bad thing is that many many people are no good gardeners because of daily manipulation via advertisement.

"Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics live in them. My mother cleans them.

William Shakespeare, English poet, 1564 - 1616

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That abandoned ship looked a lot like the Space Shuttle.
Would you believe I've never ready anything by Hamilton? Care to suggest the best book to start with?

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
indeed the abandoned ship looks like a Space Shuttle.

To be honest I've never read anything by Kim Stanley Robinson.
"Judas Unchained" is the third book by Peter F Hamilton I'm reading.
It is the second book of a duology which started with "Pandora's Star" which I read.
Beside that I read the stand alone "Great North Road".
Of course Peter F. Hamilton wrote a lot more books set in different universe.
So it is not that easy for my to give you a propper sugesstion. I can definitely say that I love "Pandora's Star" and "Judas Unchained".

A good piece of advice is available over at The Wertzone which I recommend to read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...