Saturday, August 15, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1533

Dear Readers,

I'm a bit exhausted. It has been a week with extra hours at work and as a result I fell asleep on the sofa on Friday late afternoon after returning from work. Fortunately I could finish two really good books in the previous days. Furthermore I work on the review of one of these books. It should be ready within the next days.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Travel in London of 1888
  2. Art Nouveau
  3. Great Plague victims
  4. Importance of ranks

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Electric exercise gloves

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to guns
The Lighthouse
I does not happen very often. Last week I stopped reading a book.What a successful and satisfying week regarding reading. I finished two books and one short story. Reading is the a good counterpart to work. 


I finished

- Inspector Swanson und der Fall Jack the Ripper (digital, 21st May 2015) [Kindle ASIN: B00J4NDS3U] by Robert C. Marley.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Die Whitechapel Morde und der wohl immer unerkant bleibende "Jack the Ripper" bietet immer noch Stoff genug für neue Romane.

Robert C. Marley bietet viele Verdächtige, eine ohnmächtige Polizei, viel Lokalkolorit und eine durchaus logische Lösung.
Es bereitet Freude, mit Inspector Swanson - der tatsächlich existiert hat und auch in den Whitechapel Morden ermittelt hat - durch die dunklen und dreckigen Gassen des Stadtteils Whitechapel zu folgen.


The Whitechapel murder and the forever unknown "Jack the Ripper" still deliver enough content for new novels.

Author Robert C. Marley delivers many suspects, a helpless police, much local color and a possible and logical solution.

It as been a pleasure to follow Inspector Swanson - who was a real person and has been involved in the Whitechapel Murder investigation - to follow through the dark and muddy alley of the Whitechapel quarter."



- 1884 No Boundaries (digital, 29th April 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B00NS53SX0] by A. E. Wasserman
Did I like it? YES!
Fully review is in progress and will appear on the blog within the next days.


I'm

- 120 pages in Judas Unchained  (first published in 2004; digital 2004)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B000FCKPJ4] by Peter F. Hamilton
Tension is rising. who is the head behind the mysterious Starflyer? When will MoonLightMountain start the next attack? 


- 25 pages in Fog (1/2986) (digital, March 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B00T1HEZKY] by Annelie Wendeberg
Mickaela Capra is training for her new task.


No progress
- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables
It is good and I want to enjoy it. But I need to be in the right mood. Will return to the book when I'm ready for it.



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I bought "only" two digital copies and both are related to the one and only Sherlock Holmes. Much more interesting is the fact that each book starts with a similar shocking statement. A statement which no fan of the detective ever wants to read or hear. Nevertheless I did not hesitate to buy the copies because whatever these books will tell, for me Sherlock Holmes is as immortal as John H.Watson .

Sherlock Holmes is dead ... and I have killed him.
This is the first sentence of The Revenant of Thraxton Hall (digital, March 2014)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK218K] by Vaughn Entwhistle.
"Arthur Conan Doyle has just killed off Sherlock Holmes in “The Final Problem,” and he immediately becomes one of the most hated men in London. So when he is contacted by a medium “of some renown” and asked to investigate a murder, he jumps at the chance to get out of the city. The only thing is that the murder hasn’t happened yet—the medium, one Hope Thraxton, has foreseen that her death will occur at the third séance of a meeting of the Society for Psychical Research at her manor house in the English countryside.

Along for the ride is Conan Doyle’s good friend Oscar Wilde, and together they work to narrow down the list of suspects, which includes a mysterious foreign Count, a levitating magician, and an irritable old woman with a “familiar.” Meanwhile, Conan Doyle is enchanted by the plight of the capricious Hope Thraxton, who may or may not have a more complicated back-story than it first appears. As Conan Doyle and Wilde participate in séances and consider the possible motives of the assembled group, the clock ticks ever closer to Hope’s murder, in The Revenant of Thraxton Hall by Vaughn Entwistle." [Source]

Sherlock Holmes is dead
This is the first sentence of the book description of  Moriarty (digital, March 2014)[Kindle Edition ASIN: B003GK218K] by Anthony Horowitz.
"Sherlock Holmes is dead.

Days after Holmes and his arch-enemy Moriarty fall to their doom at the Reichenbach Falls, Pinkerton agent Frederick Chase arrives in Europe from New York. The death of Moriarty has created a poisonous vacuum which has been swiftly filled by a fiendish new criminal mastermind who has risen to take his place.

Ably assisted by Inspector Athelney Jones of Scotland Yard, a devoted student of Holmes's methods of investigation and deduction, Frederick Chase must forge a path through the darkest corners of the capital to shine light on this shadowy figure, a man much feared but seldom seen, a man determined to engulf London in a tide of murder and menace." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Travel in London of 1888
London in the year 1888. Does this ring a bell? This was the year when the Whitechapel Murders started which are forever connected to the serial killer named "Jack the Ripper".
Do you know how  most people got around ? You find the answer posted over at The History Girls




Art Nouveau
Also known as Jugendstil was very popular from 1890 to 1910. One of the most prominent artists was Alphonse Mucha. Read more about Art Nouveau and Alphonse Mucha over at The Virtual Victorian

ALPHONSE MUCHA ~ ART NOUVEAU




Great Plague victims
I think it is nearly impossible to find something historical when you dig into London ground. Ian Visits posted one more example




Importance of ranks
I'm sure there are still people would wish back a time where everyone knew his place like in Regency England. There is an enlightening post over at English Historical Fiction Authors






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No trailer this week. Instead I want to share something useful with you. I'm sure you all are aware to avoid physical stress when it is hot outside. That include to  take exercise.
But there is a solution for that. Just have a look at the following video.


.
Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There are quotes where I have nothing to add. The following one belongs to this category .....



"Guns don't kill people. People who say "Guns don't kill people" kill people. With guns.

Rob Delaney , American comedian, 1977 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great first line to The Revenant of Thraxton Hall.
Had to watch the video. Scary people thought that would actually work.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I started to read The Revenant of Thraxton Hall. It is after my fancy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...