Sunday, August 02, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1531

Dear Readers,

July 2015 is gone and the hot summer weather returns to Germany. I'm happy the I can start daily work one hour earlier which means 6:00 a.m. than 7:00 a.m.
The reason why you get this issue of the Weekend Wave on Sunday instead of Saturday is quite simple.
I spent the time to finish two books and to read a short story. And I must say I'm happy that I did it because it was really satisfying.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Vintage London
  2. Historical acoustical aids
  3. Paint matters 
  4. Lead Art 
  5. A praise for a series

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Muppets


Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to thinking
The Lighthouse
What a successful and satisfying week regarding reading. I finished two books and one short story. Reading is the a good counterpart to work. 



I finished

Pandora's Star  ( first published in 2004; digital 2004) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B000FC1AFC] by Peter F. Hamilton
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I would have given more stars but that is not possible.

This is epic space opera at its best. I asked myself why it took me so long to buy a copy and to read this book. There is everything in you could expect from a science fiction story.

It could not be shorter. If you like science fiction and you haven't read it, then I highly recommend to get a copy and read Pandora's Star.

I can't wait to read the second part of the duology.

Kudos to Peter F. Hamilton."


- Imperial Fire (pb, this edition February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0751547764] by  Robert Lyndon.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I loved to read Hawk Quest.
With Imperial Fire author Robert Lyndon sends the main characters of the first book - Vallon, Hero and Weyland - on a second trip through the medieval world. This time China is the target. The reader gets a good impression what it meant to travel the Silk Road during this period of time.

As to expect the travel party face more or less all kinds of difficulty one could expect and the author takes his time to give a good description of the events. In fact the travel itself takes around 2/3rds of the book.

One thing I did not understand why the author sent one of the main characters on an own, separate travel before the arrival of an important person. This separate journey was not important for the main story.

Finally I must talk about the end without giving away too much details.

I expected that the party would return home after achieving the goal. But that did not happen.
My guess is that the next book will cover the long travel home like the travel of Odysseus.
Will be interesting to see if my guess hit the bull's eye.

The biggest surprise which broke my heart was the death of one of my favorite characters.

All in all a good book if you like to discover the medieval world with interesting characters on a long and dangerous travel."


- The Piccadilly Pickpocket (digital May 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00Y3KKHGA] by Karen Charlton
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is the second short story starring the Regency Detective Stephen Lavander and his sidekick Constable Woods.

This is a lovely short story to escape for an afternoon into a world without high tech and stress.
It is impressive how Karen Charlton integrate real persons and events in the story.
Regency London, police procedural of the time and how to cope with daily life comes a alive in this entertaining story.

Do not forget to read the quite informative Author's Note at the end of the book. I did not know anything about the crime of "snuffing" before.

I really like the duo Lavender and Woods. After enjoying the available two short stories which give a good impression of the main characters and the author's writing style, the time has come to dive in the first full story delivered with The Heiress of Linn Hagh.

Not to forget that the Detective Lavender Mysteries series will continue in October 2015 with the second book The Sans Pareil Mystery"


I'm

- 20 pages in 1/2986 (digital, September 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00NS53SX0] by Annelie Wendeberg
Met the main character Mickaela who is a young girl in a tough world and she is an outsider too.



No progress
- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables
No progress last week because I concentrated on finishing my other current reads.



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

It is true that I buy less real books nowadays due to one reason: SPACE!
But there are . It is still a pleasure to get real books. Last week I got three of them. My daughter surprised me with following three books. I was pleased and happy because two of these books have been on my wish list for a while. All three are related to my favourite town London. But it is the London of the past I like.

Let me start with the copy of the only real book I received after ordering in advance months ago.
I talked about this book in March 2014. I think each reader has favorite books and characters.
FitzChivalry is one of those characters who appeared in the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy Robin Hobb. Of course wanted to read the new book starring as soon as possible. But as I buy real books in paperback format I had to wait patiently. Finally I receiver my copy of Fool's Assassin ( pb, 16th July 2015)[ISBN-13: 978-0007444205] by Robin Hobb which is the fist book in the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy.
"Tom Badgerlock has been living peaceably in the manor house at Withywoods with his beloved wife Molly these many years, the estate a reward to his family for loyal service to the crown.

But behind the facade of respectable middle-age lies a turbulent and violent past. For Tom Badgerlock is actually FitzChivalry Farseer, bastard scion of the Farseer line, convicted user of Beast-magic, and assassin. A man who has risked much for his king and lost more…

On a shelf in his den sits a triptych carved in memory stone of a man, a wolf and a fool. Once, these three were inseparable friends: Fitz, Nighteyes and the Fool. But one is long dead, and one long-missing.

Then one Winterfest night a messenger arrives to seek out Fitz, but mysteriously disappears, leaving nothing but a blood-trail. What was the message? Who was the sender? And what has happened to the messenger?

Suddenly Fitz's violent old life erupts into the peace of his new world, and nothing and no one is safe." [Source]
I'm eager to read it. But will do that AFTER the upcoming next heat wave in Germany. Maybe I will even wait until autumn which would be for me the best season to read this book.


Once a while I like to read short stories. Especially if they are attached to a series. Such short stories offer the perfect opportunity to get to know the narration style of the author and the first contact to the main characters.
I think this is the first time where I bought and read two short stories without knowing the the first book in the series.
In this case I enjoyed the short stories that much that I will definitely read the series. The first book is a available since 2012 and the second book will be published in October 2015.
I talk about the Detective Lavender Mystery series by Karen Charlton.
Yesterday I bought a digital copy of the second short story starring Detective Stephen Lavender and his sidekick Constable Woods. I read The Piccadilly Pickpocket (digital May 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00Y3KKHGA] by Karen Charlton shortly after sun rise this morning.
"There’s no honour among thieves.

When a robbery in the crowded streets of Piccadilly takes an unusual twist, Constable Woods is blamed and a royal scandal threatens to erupt. Detective Stephen Lavender must act quickly to track down the rogues, clear his friend’s name and avert the crisis. But as the news of this high-profile crime spreads around Regency London, Lavender finds himself in a race against time with a murderous gang of cut-throats.
Can he solve this case before they extract their deadly revenge?

Welcome to the world of Stephen Lavender, a Principal Officer with the Bow Street Runners, whose further adventures can be followed in ‘The Heiress of Linn Hagh’." [Source]


This year I read more science fiction than in the previous years and I enjoy it a lot. Of course it is exciting to explore outer space but I also like it when authors come up with their view of future Earth.
A few days ago I stumbled upon the new series by Annelie Wendeberg which aroused my interest. Read the description of the books and you may understand why. When I saw the price for the digital copies of  the first two books available so far I could not resist - One book free and the second for 99 Cent EUR (= 1,.09 USD, 0.70 GBP) !!
Welcome to the 1/2986 dystopian science fiction series.
"“Think of your darkest memory, and know that what is coming will be unimaginably worse. All your days. Every night. You’ll hate me for it. You’ll hate me as much as you can hate. I promise you that.”

Our world changed — our climate, our ecosystems, our food and water supplies. Our survival stands on a knife’s edge. Ten billion lives are lost. Three million survived. War is coming. This is our story." [Source]

1/2986 (digital, September 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00NS53SX0] by Annelie Wendeberg
"Remnants of humanity are scattered high in the mountains, far from the deadly disease that wiped out ten billion lives. While everyone claws for survival, Micka cuts lines and numbers into her skin. The day she decides to press the blade deeper, a stranger steps into her life and makes an offer she finds hard to decline.


Warning: This book is not for the faint of heart. Do not buy if you abhor violence, intense language, and non-explicit sex." [Source]








Fog (1/2986) (digital, March 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B00T1HEZKY] by Annelie Wendeberg
"Sixteen year-old Micka is rumoured to be the key to humanity's survival. But there's no time to care about hearsay when the Brothers and Sisters of the Apocalypse commence global genocide. Micka's world is ruled by terror, her friends are dying. All she can do is aim, fire, reload.


Warning: This book does not attempt to prettify war. Do not buy if you abhor violence, intense language, and non-explicit sex." [Source]





The story will continue with Ice (1/2986) in August 2015.
I could not resist and read a few pages of the first book.


Finally I bought digital copies of a complete trilogy for just 4,08 EUR (=  4.48 USD, 2.87 GBP).
Author Jeffrey Cook describes his Dawn of Steam trilogy as followed:
"An epistolary-format, Regency voiced alternate-history/steampunk series. There are three books in the series which follow a group of explorers and adventurers in a journey around the world, taking place between 1815 and 1819." [Source]

I think it is worth to mention that the story is told in form of a series of letters and journal entries.
It is mentioned that these books have been written by Jeffrey Cook and Sarah Symonds but I did not find any more information about her and and about her involvement in writing these books.

Dawn of Steam: First Light (digital, February 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00IOC6HNU] by Jeffrey Cook
"In 1815, in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars, two of England's wealthiest lords place a high-stakes wager on whether a popular set of books, which claim that the author has traveled to many unknown corners of the globe, are truth or, more likely, wild fiction. First Light is an epistolary novel, told primarily through the eyes of former aide-de-camp Gregory Conan Watts, describing the journeys of the airship Dame Fortuna and its crew through journals and letters to his beloved fiancee.

The first recruit is, necessarily, the airship's owner: war hero, famed genius, and literal knight in steam-powered armor Sir James Coltrane. Persuading him to lend his talents and refitted airship to the venture requires bringing along his sister, his cousin, and the crew that flew with him during the Napoleonic Wars. Only with their aid can they track down a Scottish rifleman, a pair of shady carnies, and a guide with a strong personal investment in the stories. When they set out, the wild places of the world, including the far American West, the Australian interior, darkest Africa, and other destinations are thought to be hostile enough. No one expects the trip to involve a legendary storm – or the Year Without a Summer of 1815-1816. The voyage is further complicated by the human element. Some parties are not at all happy with the post-war political map. Most problematic of all, the crew hired by the other side of the wager seem willing to win by any means necessary." [Source]


Dawn of Steam: Gods of the Sun (digital, August 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00N5D9BK4] by Jeffrey Cook
"In 1816, Gregory Conan Watts's chronicle of the adventures begun in Dawn of Steam: First Light continues – as does the Year Without a Summer. The crew of the airship Dame Fortuna travel to four continents and are embroiled in combat on three of them: conflict with New Spain in Britain's American colonies, an ambush in Machu Picchu, and entanglement in the Maori Potato Wars in New Zealand. As they progress through darkened skies, Gregory gradually discovers that nothing at all was as he thought it was. All his assumptions are cast into doubt: what their orders are, which tales of foreign lands are true, and what parts of the social order as he knows it really are natural. Also in doubt is whether they will all survive the experience. Dawn of Steam: Gods of the Sun is an alternate-history, early-era Steampunk epistolary novel." [Source]


Dawn of Steam: Rising Suns (digital, March 2015 [Kindle ASIN: B00UIL0TOI] by Jeffrey Cook
"1817 sees the first signs of recovery from the Year Without a Summer – and the beginning of the end of the journey of the airship Dame Fortuna. The crew first accept a unique offer from the Shogun of Japan, traveling with the Dutch contingent from the island of Dejima into the isolationist nation. From there, their travels will take them through the English colonies in Australia and India, into darkest Africa, and eventually home to England. Along the way, confrontations loom, and both personal secrets and national conspiracies are uncovered. By the time a future queen is born, nothing less than the fate of England and the direction of world events are at stake. Dawn of Steam: Rising Suns is an alternate-history, emergent Steampunk epistolary novel, following after Dawn of Steam: First Light and Dawn of Steam: Gods of the Sun." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Vintage London
Despite the fact that London develops in  direction which I do not like, it is still my favorite town. As you could read in the post last week it is especially historical London I'm interested in. Pictures and photographs are nice and deliver a lot of information. But I also like moving pictures.
I follow the blog Ian Visits which delivers interesting information about London on a regularly base.
Are you interested in vintage videos of London? Then visit



Historical acoustical aids
I reached an age where the sense of hearing starts to wane. I have problems to listen to people in a crowded pub with additional music in the background. Nowadays small and excellent acoustical aids are available. But what did people use in the past? There is an interesting post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors which is worth to visit in case you are interested in.

John Harrison Curtis and His Acoustical Chair by Geri Walton


Paint matters
Why? You will understand when you visit the WebUrbanist and have a look at



Lead art
I admit that I have been dumbfounded when I opened following post over at the  WebUrbanist




A praise for a series
Recently I talked about series which rest unread on my shelf. I must say that there are series where I forgot I own the books. There is an excellent post about the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe over at Fantasy Faction which delivers a lot of reasons to read the books in case you do not know them like me. For me this is a series for cold and dark winter days. If you want to know more about the Book of the New Sun series then have a look at






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

It seems 2015 is the year where beings return - The Terminator, Han Solo and Chewbacca, ... AND after 34 years The Muppet Show!
I really hope the new shows will be aired in Germany. Following video shows how the Muppets talked about their return. Have fun.


.

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote definitely does not fit for Laurel and Hardy ....d


"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.

Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th president of USA, 1908 - 1973

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, that is one colorful town! That was an amazing project to tackle.
Looking forward to more Muppets. I grew up watching The Muppet Show.
You've convinced me on Pandora's Star - I will download it today.
Sorry about the heat. Ours never left...

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I hope you will enjoy Pandora's Star as much as I did.

Now I started to read Judas Unchained which is te second part. I hope there will be a worthy end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...