Saturday, July 25, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1530

Dear Readers,

the hot summer weather in Germany takes a break- at least for a few days. I'm so happy a about it.
It is a benefaction to have a relaxing sleep during the night.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Alt Hist Poll
  2. Meet a 16th century surgeon
  3. Incredible paperwork

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fan made trailer - Pandora's Star
  2. Fan made introduction - Pandora's Star

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to poetry
The Lighthouse
It takes a while to read a book with 856 pages.



I finished

- no book


I'm

- 169 pages in Imperial Fire (pb, this edition February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0751547764] by  Robert Lyndon.
Again a small progress.


- 168 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables
Again a small progress.

- 559 pages in Pandora's Star  ( first published in 2004; digital 2004) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B000FC1AFC] by Peter F. Hamilton
I'm totally fascinated by the scope of the book. So many different characters, advanced technology, history, descriptions from clothing details to planetary systems AND everything is somehow connected!

No progress

Nothing to tell





 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Real books. It is still a pleasure to get real books. Last week I got three of them. My daughter surprised me with following three books. I was pleased and happy because two of these books have been on my wish list for a while. All three are related to my favourite town London. But it is the London of the past I like.

Let me start with the biggest surprise.
London: A Travel Guide Through Time ( hc, 18th June 2015)[ISBN-13: 978-0718179762] by Dr Matthew Green.
"Dr Matthew Green explores the sights and sounds of London through history. This is a fascinating and unique guide to the capital that takes the reader off the beaten track and into unexplored territory.

This book allows the reader to travel through time to six key periods in the history of London. From Shakespeare to the plague, medieval London to the swinging 60s, readers can totally immerse themselves in the sights, sounds and smells of our capital at each particular moment.

It's vividly written, and after reading this book you'll never rush through the streets of Covent Garden or St Paul's again without pausing for at least a moment to think of all the mad characters and epic lives that ran through the same streets centuries before.

Whether you are a tourist looking for an alternative way to see the city, or a Londoner that wants to learn more about the world around you, this is a must-have guide." [Source]
I must say this sounds really intriguing to me and the following video where Dr Matthew Green talks about his book supports the content in a vivid way.




I love to read about Victorian London and I like to discover the inhabitants of Victorian London. I do not glorify this period of time because  I know it has not been a good period of time especially for women and children.

The following two books should deliver what I want to know. Both books look at the inhabitants and it will be interesting to read how each author approach the topic.
I really appreciate that both books contain photographs.


Victorian London ( pb, 2006)[ISBN-13: 978-0753820902] by Liza Picard.
"Like her previous books, this book is the product of the author's passionate interest in the realities of everyday life - and the conditions in which most people lived - so often left out of history books.

This period of mid-Victorian London covers a huge span: Victoria's wedding and the place of the royals in popular esteem; how the very poor lived, the underworld, prostitution, crime, prisons and transportation; the public utilities - Bazalgette on sewers and road design, Chadwick on pollution and sanitation; private charities - Peabody, Burdett Coutts - and workhouses; new terraced housing and transport, trains, omnibuses and the Underground; furniture and decor; families and the position of women; the prosperous middle classes and their new shops, e.g. Peter Jones, Harrods; entertaining and servants, food and drink; unlimited liability and bankruptcy; the rich, the marriage market, taxes and anti-semitism; the Empire, recruitment and press-gangs.

The period begins with the closing of the Fleet and Marshalsea prisons and ends with the first (steam-operated) Underground trains and the first Gilbert & Sullivan." [Source]


The Victorians ( pb, 2003)[ISBN-13: 978-0099451860] by A. N. Wilson.
"People, not abstract ideas, make history, and nowhere is this more revealed than in A. N. Wilson's superb portrait of the Victorians, in which hundreds of different lives have been pieced together to tell a story - one which is still unfinished in our own day. The 'global village' is a Victorian village and many of the ideas we take for granted, for good or ill, originated with these extraordinary, self-confident people. What really animated their spirit, and how did they remake the world in their view? In an entertaining and often dramatic narrative, A. N. Wilson shows us remarkable people in the very act of creating the Victorian age." [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Alt Hist Poll
One of the sites I follow is Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History - The new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History. Editor Mark Lord posted an interesting poll related to the question of free online reading. Take part by following the link



Meet a 16th century surgeon
Through all centuries men lost limps in battles. But what kind of replacement did they get? Meet one of the fathers of surgery over at The History Girls delivered by author Ann Swinfen




Incredible paperwork
I think you silhouette which is a wonderful art which seems to be on the way into oblivion. But paper is still important when it comes to art. There is a man who delivers incredible paper art by using a X-acto knife and tweezers.  Visit the WebUrbanist and enjoy








That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No trailer this week.
I mentioned it several times how much I like to read Pandora's Star  ( first published in 2004; digital 2004) [Kindle Edition ASIN:B000FC1AFC] by Peter F. Hamilton.

I'm not the only fan of the book. Today I would like to share with you two fan made videos which show how far appreciation for a book can go.

Fan made trailer - Pandora's Star

Fan made introduction - Pandora's Star


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Here is an unusual definition of poetry ....


"I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry.

John Cage, American composer, 1912 - 1992

4 comments:

Ted Cross said...

I started reading Pandora's Star myself, based on your recommendation. It was hard to get into it at first, but now it is getting much better!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The images cut on paper were very impressive.
The second video was wise to stick mostly to real people since neither's animation was really good. I wonder if Hollywood has considered making it into a film?
The London time travel book sounds fascinating.
Glad your weather is cooler!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Ted,
I agree with you that it takes some time to get into the story.
In the meantime I finished the book and I can't wait to read how the story will end with the second part Judas Unchained.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I found more impressive pictures like the images cut on paper.
Will post it in the next post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...