Sunday, June 21, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1525

Dear Readers,

You may have been a bit surprised because there was no Weekend Wave on Saturday.
The reason is quite simple. I did not write one. Why??
I was too tired and fell asleep far too early. Seems my body and mind wanted a longer rest.



ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. The Cassa Trilogy
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Postman's Park
  2. Nature strikes back
  3. First manned flight
  4. Battle of Waterloo

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A song in an ad and what happened next

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to sleep
The Lighthouse
Once more I did not finish a book. Beside that I started one new book and finished one of my current reads. All in all not to bad when I look at the time available for reading.





I finished

- Master of Plagues (pb, digital February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0451419996; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00LMGK434] by E L Tettensor.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"She did it again!
E. L. Tettensor delivered a powerful and strong sequel to "Darkwalker".
This time there is less supernatural and more dark crime fiction.
Excellent characters and more inforamtion about the world in story full if twist and turns and a lot of deaths."


I'm

- 79 pages in Imperial Fire (pb, this edition February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0751547764] by  Robert Lyndon.
Just a small progress. Read two chapters.


- 110 pages in Gone in the Fog (digital, January 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00R0JS87Q] by Ray Ziemecki.
So far a book about friendship with heartbreaking moments. It is more a Dr Watson book; excellent so far
 


- 63 pages in Pelquin's Comet (digital, 30th March 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00TTRP320] by Ian Whates
Small progress

I did not finish



No progress

- 79 pages in Imperial Fire (pb, this edition February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0751547764] by  Robert Lyndon.
Was not in the right mood for the book.

- 130 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables
Was not in the right mood for the book.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I go one digital copy for free.
Of course I could not resist to download the digital copy of

Sherlock Holmes and the Adler Papers ( digital May 2015) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00XWA0LGI] by John Hall.
"In this highly thrilling mystery, Sherlock Holmes and his companion Dr Watson embark on a mission to find a stolen photograph in order to save the King of Bohemia.

A year prior to this, Holmes and Watson had been on a similar adventure, trying to retain this same photograph from the grasp of the clever Mrs Norton (then Miss Adler).

However, with that mystery resolved to the satisfaction of the King, the original photo has now been stolen from Mrs Norton by Karl, his illegitimate brother, and his cousin, Gottfried who would inherit the throne should anything happen to the current King.

The photograph shows evidence of a scandal that will threaten the idea of a peace treaty to be signed by Scandinavian royalty.

Unless the Bohemian King abdicates from the throne, the photos and letters will be shown publicly, the Scandinavian king would not then sign the treaty and as a result there would be a terrible civil war.

Mrs Norton, the subject of the picture, leads the of men on a chase that is seemingly simple, but as soon as Holmes and Watson arrive in Bohemia, there are complications and a thread of lies that make it a harder for Holmes and Watson to get to the bottom of the problem.

It is a journey that both Holmes and Watson find to be full of twists and turns right until the very end. The question is, can the two men solve the crime in time before all enemies of the King rise to power?" [Source]







THE CASSA TRILOGY

It all started with  CassaStaR (October 19th,2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0981621067] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.  I presented my review on October 17th 2010.

 On December 21st 2011, I presented my review of CassaFirE (February 28th, 2012, pb, 240 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0982713945] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

On September 17th 2013, I presented  my review of CassaStorM (September 17th, 2013) [Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] [E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.


I think each review shows how much I love this series. In case you still have not read the trilogy or you would like to get all  three books in one digital copy then you should read following information kindly delivered by the author himself:


Release date - June 22 2015

CassaSeries
By Alex J. Cavanaugh 
ISBN 9781939844118
Price - $5.99 eBook boxed set
Science fiction/adventure (FIC028010) and science fiction/space opera (FIC028030)


 
The Amazon Best-Selling Series!

CassaStar - Few options remain for Byron. Slated to train as a Cosbolt pilot, Byron is determined to prove his worth to his instructor, Bassa. As war brews on the edge of space, Bassa must make a decision that could decide the fate of both men. Will their skills be enough as they embark on a mission destined to stretch their abilities to the limit?

CassaFire - Byron’s days of piloting Cosbolt fighters behind him, the detection of alien ruins sends him to the planet of Tgren. Forced to train a Tgren named Athee and deal with an eager young scientist, he feels invaded. Tensions mount as the ruins reveal a potential weapon, plunging him further into the chaos. All Byron wanted was his privacy…

CassaStorm - Commanding the base on Tgren, Byron watches as a galaxy-wide war encroaches upon the planet. When the war hits Tgren, it triggers nightmares in his son. The ancient alien ship begins transmitting a deadly code and the probe that almost destroyed Tgren twenty years ago returns. The storm is about to break, and Byron is caught in the middle…

Find it here:

Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design, graphics, and technical editing. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. He’s the author of Amazon Best-Sellers CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Postman's Park
I'm really interested in Victorian era and in Victorian London but so far I did not know Postman's Park in London.  It was My Ear-Trumpet Has Been Struck By Lightning who enlightened me with following post:



Nature strikes back
What happens with abandoned villages within 50 years? One answer is delivered over at the WebUrbanist.



First manned flight
I learned in school about the Orville brothers and their successful  flight in 1903. But is this really true? There is a most interesting and informative post by author Ann Swinfen over at The History Girls.




Battle of Waterloo
In the past days the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo has been celebrated.
Adventures in Historyland presented two quite impressive post in word and painting about the first six hours and the last six hours of the battle.Be aware that you will need some time to discover both.





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......



Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

This week I show you something different.

 I must say that I don't watch much TV. Mostly news and a few reports. Last week there was an ad before the news with a part of a song as soundtrack which aroused my interest.
It did not take long to find out that it was an the old Wanda Jackson song Funnel of Love from 1961. It also did not take long to find it over at YouTube.
I have been totally mesmerized by the song and listen to it whenever possible.


So far it is nothing unusual. It changed when I found following version of the song played at 33 rpm.
It is no problem to identify the song. The most interesting thing is the change of  Wanda Jackson's voice. Incredible!

Wanda Jackson turns 78 in October 2015 and is still performing - KUDOS!!.
Here is a video from 2011.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

A life without the mysterious would be boring and therefor I like the following quote .........


"[...]so convincing were those dreams of being awake that he woke from them in a state of complete exhaustion, and had to go straight back to sleep again.

From Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, US novelist 1923 - 1999

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So the Wright Brothers squashed all competition, whether they beat them to flight or not? Interesting. I've not visited the Smithsonian, but I have seen the Wright Brothers' museum in Kitty Hawk.
Thanks for mentioning my CassaSeries! Comes out Monday.
More Sherlock Holmes. Nice.
Now to check out the city overtaken by ivy.

ediFanoB said...

It is always apleasure to see you in the comment section.
I hope the new edition of the CassaSeries! will be successful.

I really like to dive into history and discover unknown information.

Nature is much stroner as we always think and nature does not need mankind to survive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...