Sunday, June 07, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1523

Dear Readers,

I'm back. I have to admit that the break took longer than originally planned.
In May I spent two weeks together with my wife on the Baltic Sea coast near Poland.
I must say I was not aware of the level of exhaustion I showed at the beginning of the holiday. I spent the first days with doing nearly nothing. I even lacked the power to read. Just enjoying fresh air and the sea.
I appreciated to have one more free week after our return. Last week I returned to work and now I feel ready to continue with my blog.

I decided to have a slow and smooth start. That means I will talk about the books I bought in the past weeks this week and next week.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Holiday reading list 
  3. I look forward to the release of ...
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Missing Genre
  2. The shortest war in history
  3. A lighthouse in motion
  4. Households that refuse to move

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fallout 4

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to nature
The Lighthouse
Since 9th of May 2015 I stopped reading one book, I finished six books and started another four books. I definitely wanted to read more during my holiday but that did not happen. I needed more rest.



I finished

Chasm City (pb, digital) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B000OIZUH6] by Alastair Reynolds.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
""Life's what you make it."

This is the very last sentence of an extraordinary and fascinating piece of science fiction.
A multi-layered and complex story told in a satisfying style.
I'm still impressed."



-   Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon (September 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1909679337] by David Barnett

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The steampunk adventure of Gideon Smith and Maria, the mechanical girl continues with action and mystery in an alternate America and the Lost World of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I liked it as much as the first book. Now I look forward to book three which seems to take place in England and the mentioning of Jack the Ripper in the title is promising "


- Windchill (digital 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00N0XK22A] by Ed James.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The sixth book in the series delivered two cases on the same high level as the previous five books.

If you really looking for an excellent crime series with most interesting cases, extraordinary characters development then I highly recommend to read the Scott Cullen series.

Fingers crossed book seven will be out before end of 2015."


- Bottleneckl (digital 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00IZNBA44] by Ed James.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Ed James is my favorite crime writer!

The fifth novel in the Scott Cullen series and like the predecessors it does not disappoint.

A lot of twits and turns combined with continuously development of Scott Cullen and other characters delivers an excellent and great read.

Can't wait to read the next book after how this one ended...."


- Among Wolves (digital, 21st May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Q28GY6I] by Nancy K. Wallace.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Knowledge is power!
You will underline this sentence after reading this amazing debut novel which tends to be more a historical fantasy with a French background.

Lovable characters, good world building, secrets, amazing story with only a few death. Among wolves does not belong to the world of grim dark fantasy.
For me it ended with a cliffhanger.
I can't wait to read how the story will continue."


Steamtown - Die Fabrik (digital, 28th April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WSCLPRU] by Carsten Steenbergen and T.S. Orgel
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"From time to time I read books in my first language and I'm so happy that I picked up this awesome steampunk crime novel.

Das Buch ist ein Knaller!
Ich bin so froh, dass ich diesen vorzüglichen Steampunk Krimi entdeckt habe.
Großartige Story, die Stoff für Folgebände bietet.
Vielschichtige Story mit Verwicklungen, Ränkespiele, Verschwörungen, interessante Charaktere und viel Action.

Bitte, bitte, bitte mehr davon!!! "





I'm

- 48 pages in Imperial Fire (pb, this edition February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0751547764] by  Robert Lyndon.
Preparation for the long journey

- 115 pages in Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables
Dark and mysterious

- 124 pages  Master of Plagues (pb, digital February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0451419996; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00LMGK434] by E L Tettensor.
Mysterious and exciting


- 154 pages in Dark Run (digital, 4th June 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00T5H3YIO] by Mike Brooks
Great characters, interesting story, believable tech.





No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


The is the first part of books I bought/received since the last Weekend Wave. The rest will follow next week. I present the books in no specific order.

Once a while I read books in my first language. I'm more than happy that I picked up the following steampunk crime novel. Excellent stuff.
Steamtown - Die Fabrik (digital, 28th April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00WSCLPRU] by Carsten Steenbergen and T.S. Orgel
"Auf den Stufen der Bakers Hall von Steamtown liegt eine bestialisch zugerichtete Leiche. Der junge Agent Eric van Valen wird zusammen mit dem abgehalfterten Pater und Ætheromanten Siberius Grand und dem seltsamen Forensiker Mister Ferret vom Ministerium Seiner Majestät beauftragt, den Mörder zu finden - oder wenigstens jemanden, der schuldig genug aussieht. Doch was als simple Mordermittlung in der Unterwelt der von Plasmalicht und Kohlefeuer erhellten Stadtmetropole beginnt, scheint tiefer zu gehen und konfrontiert sie mit ihren düstersten Albträumen. Albträume, in denen höllische Geschöpfe auf die drei Ermittler lauern, dunkle Vergangenheiten und eine Verschwörung, die die Stadt Steamtown in ihren Grundfesten erschüttert." [Source]




As you could read above I read and like the following book a lot.
Among Wolves (digital, 21st May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Q28GY6I] by Nancy K. Wallace.

"Young Devin Roché is about to graduate as an Archivist from the prestigious Llisé's University, and there is just one more task he wants to complete - to preserve a complete history of Llisé.

The history of Llisé and its fifteen provinces are a peaceful affair, filled with harmony, resolution and a rich oral tradition of storytelling. Nothing untoward ever happens in this peaceful land. Or does it?

Trainee archivist Devin Roché has just taken his finals at the prestigious Académie. As the sixth son of the ruler of Llisé, his future is his own, and so he embarks on an adventure to memorize stories chronicling the history of each province.

As Devin begins his journey with only his best friend Gaspard and their guardian Marcus, he hears rumors of entire communities suddenly disappearing without a trace and of Master Bards being assassinated in the night.

As the three companions get closer to unearthing the truth behind these mysteries, they can't help but wonder whether it is their pursuit that has led to them.
But if that is the case, what do Llisé and Devin's father have to hide?" [Source]


Dark Run (digital, 4th June 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00T5H3YIO] by Mike Brooks
"The Keiko is a ship of smugglers, soldiers of fortune and adventurers, travelling Earth’s colony planets searching for the next job. And nobody talks about their past.

But when a face from Captain Ichabod Drift’s former life send them on a run to Old Earth, all the rules change.

Trust will be broken, and blood will be spilled." [Source]

This year I read more science fiction than the last year and it seems I just pick the raisin for me. One of the raisin is definitely the following book. So far I read half of it and I don't think that my mind will change.



The description of the following book intrigued me. This is the first book in the new space opera series The Dark Angels.
Pelquin's Comet (digital, 4th June 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00T5H3YIO] by Ian Whates.
"In an age of exploration and expansion, the crew of the freetrader Pelquin’s Comet – a rag-tag group of misfits, ex-soldiers and ex-thieves – set out to find a cache of alien technology, intent on making their fortunes; but they are not the only interested party and find themselves in a deadly race against corporate agents and hunted by the authorities. Forced to combat enemies without and within, they strive to overcome the odds under the watchful eye of an unwelcome guest: Drake, agent of the bank funding their expedition, who is far more than he seems and may represent the greatest threat of all." [Source]






The following book is the second one in the Never War series. I hope it will be as good as the first one.
The Blood Red City (pb, May 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0091955991] by Justin Richards.
"The alien Vril are waking, and the Never War is heating up. Colonel Brinkman and his team at Station Z desperately need answers – they have to discover exactly what they are facing and how the attack will come. But the information doesn’t come easily. With a major Vril offensive imminent, the Nazis step up their own project to exploit Vril weapons and technology.

Leo Davenport finds himself fighting with the Greek resistance as he struggles to solve an ancient mystery. Major Guy Pentecross must travel to the ruined deathtrap of the most dangerous city in the world to track down the one man who can help.

From a spaceship crash in Bavaria in 1934 to the rat-infested devastation of Stalingrad, from the ancient ruins of occupied Greece to the bombed-out streets of London, the second book of the Never War series continues a secret history of the Second World War in which humanity itself is fighting for survival…" [Source]

The last book for today is the second book in the fantasy series The Shadow Campaigns. I know that the third book will be out in July 2015. This is a series I want to have as real books. Therefore I had to wait for this book several months and I assume that will happen with book three too.
The Shadow Throne City (pb, June 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0451418074]  by Django Wexler
"The King of the Vordan is on his deathbed. Soon his daughter, Raesinia will be the first Queen Regnant in centuries—and a target for those who seek to control her. The most dangerous is Duke Orlanko, Minister of Information, and master of the secret police. He is the most feared man in the kingdom, and he knows an arcane secret that puts Raesinia completely at his mercy.

But Raesinia has found unlikely allies in the returning war hero Janus bet Vhalnich, and his loyal deputies, Captain Marcus d’Ivoire and Lieutenant Winter Ihernglass. As Marcus and Winter struggle to find their places in the home they never thought they would see again, they help Janus and Raesinia set in motion events that could shatter Orlanko’s powers, but perhaps at the price of throwing the nation into chaos. But with the people suffering under the Duke’s tyranny, they intend to protect the kingdom with every power they can command, earthly or otherwise." [Source]





No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Missing Genre
What happens with books which do not fit into a genre? Author Christopher Fowler shares his experiences with his famous Bryant & May series.




The shortest war in history
Wars had and have an impact on our history. Do you know the shortest war in history? I admit I didn't before I read following post over at the  Dawlish Chronicles.



A lighthouse in motion
This is an amazing story. To move a complete lighthouse from one place to another in order to rescue it. For details please have a look at following post.




Households that refuse to move
It happens that you have to move your household due to a new motorway or other reasons. But there are people who refuse to move. I'm not sure if they will be happy with the new situation.
Have a look at some examples over at the WebUrbanist.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No movie trailer this week.
Despite our age my wife and I love to play video games. On 4th of June Bethesda released the first trailer for Fallout 4.  That put a big smile on my face. If you ever played a Fallout game then you will know that these games deliver great game play and excellent story telling. I really look forward to play Fallout 4 on our PS4.
In the meantime more than 10.800.000 people watched the trailer. I'm sure I'm not the only one who like it.

There will be more information about the game soon.
"Tune into Bethesda’s E3 Showcase on Sunday, June 14th at 7:00pm PT to see the world premiere of the game."

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

For me it seems mankind veer away from the intention described in following quote .........


"My mission is to create a world where we can live in harmony with nature.

Jane Goodall, English primatologist, 1934 -

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome back!! Glad you had plenty of time to recharge and refresh.
Fallout 4 - awesome.
Been watching the moving of the lighthouse at Martha's Vineyard. Rather amazing.
You picked up a good mix of books. I have both Gideon Smith books on my iPad and look forward to reading them.

Ted Cross said...

It's nice to take a break, that's for sure. Glad to see you read Chasm City.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Fallout has a very unique atmosphere. BTW, I restarted playing the the Fallout 1 last weekend.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I was more than happy to have enough tim to relax and recharge.
Now I wait for the Bethesda press conference.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Ted,
Chasm City was an impressive book.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

a long time ago I played Fallout 1 on PC.
I fully agree with you that all the Fallout games have a specific and unique atmosphere.
My daughter and I like Fallout a lot whereas my wife is not interested in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...