Saturday, May 02, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1518

Dear Readers,

I do not want to repeat my statements from last week. I think when you see that I read  in sum 179 pages last week you  may understand that I'm not in a good condition. Now I must "survive" one more week until my holiday.
I still have not decided which books to read during my holiday. 

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Do I need this part one
  2. Do I need this part two
  3. Walking
  4. Titanic
  5. Penny Black

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something different

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to management
The Lighthouse
Every reading session ended in the world of oblivion which means I fell asleep quite soon.


I finished

- no book



I'm

- 34 pages in Karen Memory (hc, February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0765375247] by Elizabeth Bear.
Too early for a comment.

- 145 Snared (digital, 28th April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Q28GY6I] by Ed James.
So far it delivers what was promised.

No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


New "food" for my eReader.
From time to time I like to read crime fiction.
I admit that I'm a big fan of  the DC Scott Cullen Crime Series by Ed James. So far I read the first four books which I enjoyed a lot. Therefore it was no question that wanted a copy of the first book in a new series. Now I own a digital copy of Snared (digital, 28th April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Q28GY6I] by Ed James.
"Vicky Dodds—single mother, commitment-phobe, Detective Sergeant—is adding Dundee, Scotland to the Tartan Noir map.

When a dog breeder in and around Dundee disappears, DS Dodds and her team are tasked with finding out who is behind the attacks.

But as the crimes escalate, and the attacker’s message becomes clearer, Vicky begins to question where her own sympathies lie.

From the acclaimed author of the Scott Cullen series, Snared is an unyielding police procedural that fearlessly examines the uncomfortable grey areas between right and wrong, and between “us” and “them.” " [Source]
I could not resist and started reading. So far it delivers what was promised.

With my holiday ahead I thought it would be a good idea to read some epic science fiction and to continue a series. So far I read Revelation Space (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-0441009428; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B001QL5MAA] by Alastair Reynolds which is the first book in the Revelation Space universe. I decided to buy a digital copy of   Chasm City (pb, digital) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B000OIZUH6] by Alastair Reynolds.

"The once-utopian Chasm City -a doomed human settlement on an otherwise inhospitable planet- has been overrun by a virus known as the Melding Plague, capable of infecting any body, organic or computerized. Now, with the entire city corrupted -from the people to the very buildings they inhabit- only the most wretched sort of existence remains. For security operative Tanner Mirabel, it is the landscape of nightmares through which he searches for a low-life postmortal killer. But the stakes are raised when his search brings him face to face with a centuries-old atrocity that history would rather forget." [Source]
Of course I know that this not the sequel to Revelation Space.
But that does not matter as long as it is a great story.
An average rating of 4.10 out of five over at GOODREADS is excellent.

Finally there was a cheap offer for a historical crime fiction and I got a digital copy of the first book in the John Shakespeare series.
Martyr (digital, September 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00ICN507U] by Rory Clements.
"In this ingenious debut, Rory Clements introduces John Shakespeare, Elizabethan England’s most remarkable investigator, and delivers a tale of murder and conspiracy that succeeds brilliantly as both historical fiction and a crime thriller.

In a burnt-out house, one of Queen Elizabeth’s aristocratic cousins is found murdered, her young flesh marked with profane symbols. At the same time, a plot to assassinate Sir Francis Drake, England’s most famous sea warrior, is discovered—a plot which, if successful, could leave the country utterly defenseless against a Spanish invasion. It’s 1587, the Queen’s reign is in jeopardy, and one man is charged with the desperate task of solving both cases: John Shakespeare. With the Spanish Armada poised to strike, Mary Queen of Scots awaiting execution, and the pikes above London Bridge decorated with the grim evidence of treachery, the country is in peril of being overwhelmed by fear and chaos. Following a trail of illicit passions and family secrets, Shakespeare travels through an underworld of spies, sorcerers, whores, and theater people, among whom is his own younger brother, the struggling playwright, Will. Shadowed by his rival, the Queen’s chief torturer, who employs his own methods of terror, Shakespeare begins to piece together a complex and breathtaking conspiracy whose implications are almost too horrific to contemplate. For a zealous and cunning killer is stalking England’s streets. And as Shakespeare threatens to reveal a madman’s shocking identity, he and the beautiful woman he desires come ever closer to becoming the next martyrs to a passion for murder and conspiracy whose terrifying consequences might still be felt today…." [Source]
There are mixed reviews of Martyr over at GOODREADS.




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Do I need this part one
To be honest I do not understand this selfie hype. Maybe the reason is quite simple. I don't own a smart phone because I don't need one. And therefore I do not have any need for the following item presented over at the WebUrbanist. Have a look at




Do I need this part two
I think I do not have an extravagant taste when it comes to furniture. Therefore I would never spend a minute think about to buy the piece presented over at the WebUrbanist. Have a look at




Walking
In the world of Jane Austen the use of horses and carriages is really common. But that is completely different to the real world. There is a real enlightening post about this topic over at the English Historical Fiction Authors fist perfectly this exhibition.



Titanic
Two weeks ago my wife and I visited  a Titanic exhibition. The following post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors fist perfectly this exhibition.






Penny Black
It seems that in the world of electronic communication the little thing called stamp gets lost.. Of course the history of the Penny Black is not more than a mouse click away. But how fast disappear the information out of your mind? I find it really helpful when I can read  post about topic where the author took his time to put together the information and talks about it in his/her own words.
That is the reason why I appreciate following post over at The Virtual Victorian.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No movie trailer this week.
Instead I like to share with you an amazing animated short video.
Just lean back and enjoy ........


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

My comment to the following quote: True! True! True! ...................


"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work.

Peter Drucker, American management writer, 1909 - 2003

4 comments:

Ted Cross said...

Chasm City is amazing, much better than Revelation Space. I hope you enjoy it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have never understood selfies.
The animated short was amazing. And sad - all those memories...

ediFanoB said...

Hello Ted,

thanks for sharing your impression.
I will let you know my impression of CHasm City after my holiday.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

so we both are no selfie fans. Godd to know.

Glad you liked the animated short.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...