Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Guest Post by Alex J. Cavanaugh

Dear Readers,

today is the publishing day of

Dragon of the Stars 
(7th April 2015)  [Kindle ASIN: B00S0DPUYU] 


And today I have the pleasure AND the honor to present you a special guest review by the author himself.

ENJOY READING!


An Unusual Science Fiction Theme – The Power of Love

Science fiction is all about themes. Often more than one. And the list of possible themes is huge. I know, because I Googled it and found a list on Wikipedia.

You know what theme I didn’t find though? Mine – the power of love.

Now, I never set off with that theme in mind. It developed organically. And it has remained consistent throughout my four books.

In my Cassa trilogy, each book took on its own variation of that theme. CassaStar focused on the love of brothers. CassaFire featured the love between a man and a woman. In CassaStorm, it was the love between parent and child.

In Dragon of the Stars, several aspects of love appeared.

Aden is a driven man, one born of royalty and wealth. We see his love for power and status. What he lacks is a genuine love for other people. He views others as a means to an end and has never equated love to true happiness. He’s not completely shallow though. There is the love of a son for his parents, in particular his mother.

What we witness over the course of the story is how his views change. His uncaring attitude towards others is challenged. It takes some of the things he thought he desired out of reach. He’s placed in a unique situation where he has to care about others if he hopes to survive and succeed. He’s also exposed to what it really means to love someone and to remain devoted no matter what. Ultimately, he realizes it’s our connections that matter most in life.

I think I’ve stayed with the theme of love because it is so universal. We all crave it, no matter what the circumstance. Even in the middle of war and the struggle to survive.


Dragon of the Stars
By Alex J. Cavanaugh
Science Fiction – Space Opera/Adventure/Military
Print ISBN 9781939844064 EBook ISBN 9781939844057


The ship of legends…

The future is set for Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, son of a Hyrathian Duke. Poised to secure his own command and marriage to the queen’s daughter, he’ll stop at nothing to achieve his goals.

But when the Alliance denies Hyrath’s claim on the planet of Kavil and declares war on their world, Aden finds his plans in disarray. Entrenched in battle and told he won’t make captain, Aden’s world begins to collapse. How will he salvage his career and future during Hyrath’s darkest hour?

One chance remains–the Dragon. Lost many years prior, the legendary ship’s unique weapon is Hyrath’s only hope. Can Aden find the Dragon, save his people, and prove he’s capable of commanding his own ship?

Purchase:
Amazon  
Kobo  

Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design, graphics, and technical editing. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. He’s the author of Amazon Best-Sellers CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm. 




39 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thank you for featuring me on release day again! You rock.

Michelle Wallace said...

Happy Book Release Day, Alex!

The power of love in sci-fi books?
Yes, it's different alright.

Love is universal and there are so many different types of love, so you can't go wrong with this theme.
You are smart, Alex!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

hope you have a great day. It is always a pleasure to have you on the blog.

In the meantime I move my Dragon of the Stars review over at Amazon from comment section to review section.

Jeremy Hawkins said...

Wish Alex all the best, cannot wait to read this...

Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

There's no earthly way of knowing.
Which direction we are going!

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

ediFanoB said...

Hello Michelle,

nice to see you and thanks for stopping by.

Glad you like the guest post. I think it is good to have something different and such a speicific day.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Jeremy,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

I hope you will enjoy Dragon of the Stars as much as I did.

lilicasplace.com said...

This was a great post, Alex. Congrats on the release again. I can't seem to do it enough today. I'm so excited for you!

It's a pleasure to 'meet' you Edi, and thanks for featuring the Ninja Captain on your blog this special day. I look forward to coming back. Eva

Christine Rains said...

Congratulations to Alex! It is the biggest universal theme. Aden's journey is an excellently written one.

Jo said...

Hey Alex, can I blow the gaff now and tell what they are?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Love is something all people crave and we can all relate to.

Congrats, Alex.

Fundy Blue said...

A review that hooks, Alex! Congrats! I'm waiting for the UPS delivery guy to ring the doorbell! Fortunately it's taking a little longer to deliver my hardcopy from Amazon. Fortunately??? Yup ~ I'm hoping that means demand! Enjoy your release day!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Michelle, I fake the smart well.

Edi, I just saw that - thanks!

Jeremy, enjoy!

Thanks, Christine!

Jo, only a hint. Can't give away too much.

Diane, thanks.

Fundy! Thanks for ordering a copy. You rock.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Happy release day. I blogged not long ago about all great stories being love stories of one sort or another. It's what everyone actually wants.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Eva,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

I think Alex deserve all the support he gets. He is such a nice guy and an excellent writer.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Christine,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

I fully agree with you.

I'm so glad that Alex wrote one more book.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Jo,

nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

So you belong to the people like me who have had the pleasure to read the book before today.

I'm sure that Alex will lift hte curtain ....

ediFanoB said...

Hello L. Diane,

nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

Isn't it great to see that even in a scientific future nothing goes without love.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Fundy Blue,

nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by and for your kind words.

I think Dragon of the Stars belong to the books which you should read as real books. I was happy that I reciewed a real review copy.

Fingers crossed the delivery will arrive soon.

Enjoy reading!

ediFanoB said...

Hello Alex,

I hope you have a great day.
It may take some time until I reply to the comments but I will answer every single comment.

By the way I was not the first one today to post a Dragon of the Stars review on Amazon.
Now I wish you more five stars reviews and many, many readers.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Susan,

nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

I think you have a point there.
The news is full of wars and tragedies and it seems violence is rising. That makes the wish for love understandable.

Lisa said...

Thank you Edi, for having Alex here today of all days, especially, since the image at the end is more than I've EVER seen of the man. My eyes popped out of my head (had to put them back in to write this LOL) and I almost yelled out loud! So thank you for that. Great day, lordy lordy! Already have my E copy of the DRAGON! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Nick Wilford said...

Great post! Love is one of those constants that is always present and it changes lives, so why not in sci-fi! Happy Release Day!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Lisa, don't lose your eyeballs! You need those.

Thanks, Nick!

Shell Flower said...

So amazing your 4th book is now out in the world. It's like having a 4th child almost. And no novel would be worth its salt without a character arc. Finding love in one's heart is a huge one! Can't wait to read it!

Beverly Fox said...

What a great theme it is, universal indeed! What I always connect with most in scifi is the humanity of the characters (which we often see more in robots and aliens than we do in humans, anyway) and one of the prime aspects of humanity is love. How brilliant that you explored so many different components of it in you stories.

Congrats, again!

Helena said...

I really like the emotions behind this story and I'm looking forward to reading Dragon. Congratulations, Alex!

ediFanoB said...

Hello Lisa,

nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.
Alex has been so kind to send me the picture and as I know a lot of people want to know how he looks like, I thought it would be a good idea to post it.

Now I feel a bit guilty. I did not want to harm anyone.
Luckily you could put your eyes back.

Now enjoy reading Dragon of the stars.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Nick,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

Love and science fiction fits together perfectly and Alex knows to combine them very well.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Shell Flower,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

Dragon of the Stars is an excellent book and with the book joyful hours lie ahead of you.

Enjoy reading!

ediFanoB said...

Hello Beverly,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

I think Dragon of the Stars is an excellent book for you because it contains amazing characters and a lot of emotions.
Alex is a gifted writer.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Helena,

nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

I promise you that there is a lot to discover in Dragon of the Stars.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Shell, I'm glad it's a fourth book and not a fourth child!

Thanks, Beverly. Connecting with the characters is important.

Thanks, Helena - hope you enjoy it!

Cherie Colyer said...

I like that there's a theme of love through the novel. It helps to give characters depth.

Congrats on the new book, Alex.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Alex, congrats on your book release again!

Edi, you should check the links above the "The ship of legends" segment.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Cherie,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

Love is indeed an importaant ingredient.
I hope that people will understand that there is a difference between love and romance.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

thanks a lot for the hint regarding the links. I fixed the links.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Zoltan and Cherie, thank you!

Toinette Thomas said...

The Power of Love is one of my favorite scif-fi themes. Funny thing is, in other genres, love themes tend to bother me.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Toinette,
nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.
That is really interesting. I avoid love themes in other genres too.
as soon as I found the word romance in a book desciption I stay away from it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...