Saturday, April 25, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1517

Dear Readers,

The last week has been long and exhausting. It has been a frustrating week as there was neither enough time to check all the blogs I follow nor enough time to write a review.
That means a short post today. I hope for the better next week because the is a public holiday in Germany on next Friday.
Last Sunday my wife and I visited  a Titanic exhibition. I must say that was a well spent afternoon.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. British exploration of Africa in 19th century
  2. How to survive as a pauper in Tudor England
  3. Five houses five centuries
  4. Cityscape from high above

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something different

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to listening
The Lighthouse
I finished one book and need to decide what to read next.


I finished


- The Buried Life (pb, March 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0857665218] by Carrie Patel
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"It is not my book of the year 2015 but this crime noir novel in a fantasy settings is an entertaining one.

Most part of the story takes place in the subterranean city Recoletta which has a link between underground and surface. The political system has a huge impact of the story with twits and turns. I really appreciated the two female main characters in person of Inspector Liesl Malon and the laundress Jane."


I'm


No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


Unbelievable! a week without a new book. That happens rarely.
Instead I present you a book which I ordered in advance a few months ago and which will be released in May 2015.
I ordered a copy based on the description which I find intriguing.
Among Wolves (digital, 21st May 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Q28GY6I] by Nancy K. Wallace.
"Young Devin Roché is about to graduate as an Archivist from the prestigious Llisé's University, and there is just one more task he wants to complete - to preserve a complete history of Llisé.

The history of Llisé and its fifteen provinces are a peaceful affair, filled with harmony, resolution and a rich oral tradition of storytelling. Nothing untoward ever happens in this peaceful land. Or does it?

Trainee archivist Devin Roché has just taken his finals at the prestigious Académie. As the sixth son of the ruler of Llisé, his future is his own, and so he embarks on an adventure to memorize stories chronicling the history of each province.

As Devin begins his journey with only his best friend Gaspard and their guardian Marcus, he hears rumors of entire communities suddenly disappearing without a trace and of Master Bards being assassinated in the night.

As the three companions get closer to unearthing the truth behind these mysteries, they can't help but wonder whether it is their pursuit that has led to them.
But if that is the case, what do Llisé and Devin's father have to hide?" [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



British exploration of Africa in 19th century
There is a quite interesting essay which reflects two British Africa expeditions in the 19th century  over at The Public Domain Review.





How to survive as a pauper in Tudor England
You find the answer in an enlightening post over at The History Girls.





Five houses five centuries
Wouldn't it be great to travel through five centuries by just visiting five houses? It is possible. In order to do that you need to read following post over at The History Girls and to visit London.



Cityscape from high above
Finally something for the eye. Again you find amazing pictures over at the WebUrbanist. Have a look at



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No movie trailer this week.
Instead I like to share with you a short video showing  the first motorcycle parachute jump.
I could not believe that the man survived in good condition. I found more information which you can read by following THIS LINK.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I'm a good listener and from my experience I can't agree with following quote. But maybe I'm an exception ...................


"A good listener is usually thinking about something else.

Kin Hubbard, American cartoonist, humorist, and journalist, 1868 - 1930

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, those aerial shots were amazing. They didn't look real - looked like part of a computer.
Sorry no time to read this week, but the Titanic exhibition sounds interesting.

Rosalie Skinner said...

LOL.. Love the quote... I think it might be on the money.
Among Wolves looks great.

The Titanic exhibition would be great to visit.

I recently visited a maritime museum where my son works as a skipper. It wasn't reassuring to read of all the shipwrecks in the area. Might be good to have a list of the ships that reached safe port too. LOL. The area is beautiful and most days doesn't look dangerous.

It's been a hectic time here too. I am sure the days are getting shorter, with more on the 'to do' list each morning.

Rosalie Skinner said...

I recently visited a maritime museum where my son works as a skipper. (a local museum in the area where my son works...) hmm. Great writing. ROFL.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

the Titanic exhibition was worth a visit.

Soory for the late reply. Too many things to do at the same time.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

I'm very sorry for my late reply.
Too many things are going on.
On 10th of May we go on vacation.

To visit a maritime museum and to meet your son over there at the same time is great.

Hope you will have a more relaxing time now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...