Saturday, April 18, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1516

Dear Readers,

tomorrow my wife and I will visit  a Titanic exhibition. I look forward to that.
Only three weeks left until my holiday. That means I will start to think about which books I ant to read during my holiday.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Prejudice
  2. First female attempt for American presidency
  3. Diligently people

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Famous words 
  2. Size does not matter

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to readers and thinkers
The Lighthouse
I finished two books and started a new one. Based on the time I could spend for reading I'm really happy with my reading progress.




I finished


- The Mechanical (digital and pb, March 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00JV1W61K; ISBN-13: 978-0356502328] by Ian Tregillis which is the first book in the Alchemy Wars Trilogy.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" Alternate history, steampunk and alchemy. These catchwords fit perfectly to this book.

In 17th century the scientist and mathematician Christian Huygens changed history dramatically.
He found a way to use magic to control mechanical men called CLAKKERS.
These are capable of intelligent thought but enslaved to their masters.
The Calvinist Dutch Empire is the new world power and the remnants of the French Court try to change that.
The core of the story is the exploration of artificial intelligence and its consequences accompanied by a lot more topics like religious theories, determinism versus free will and more.
It is also a gripping tale full of interesting characters and you you never know if the character you like will be alive at the end of the book.
The depiction of the world is amazing.
You will not easily forget this book because there are no final answers for the questions risen.

I look forward to read the next book in the Alchemy Wars series.
"



-
The Adventures of the Spanish Drums (digital, December 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00T7R185S] byMartin Daley


I wrote on GOODREADS:
"  This is a Sherlock Holmes pastiche set in Carlisle 1903.

It is about the theft of the Arroyo drums which really exist. There is a coherent explanation why Sherlock picks up this case.
Within the story you visit Watson's past. The prose is well done and there is no difference in the characterisation of the heroes compared to the original stories.
Furthermore I liked the discussions between Holmes and Watson about their future.

In Carlisle Homes and Watson meet Inspector Cornelius Armstrong, a character created by the author and described in detail in two books starring Armstrong.
"



I'm

- 30 pages in The Buried Life (pb, March 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0857665218] by Carrie Patel
Need to read more for a comment.


No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


Last week I got one digital copy for free and bought one digital copy for 0.99 EUR Cent.

After reading the description I could not withstand to download a digital copy of  - The Legacy (digital, February 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00TSPEF8Q] by Clio Gray.
"Scotland and Ireland, 1798.

Golo Eck is searching for the lost library of The Lynx, the first scientific society in Europe, founded in 1603.

His friend, Fergus, is sent over to Ireland on its trail, getting embroiled in the uprising of the United Irish against English rule. His only contact here is Greta, who works as a messenger for the United Irish; and then come the bloody battles of New Ross and Vinegar Hill. Fergus is missing, Greta on the run.

And all is not well with Golo either. Someone else is on the trail of the Lynx, and when Golo’s ship founders on the way to Holland Golo disappears, leaving Ruan, his ward, to fend for himself, a foreigner in a foreign land.

What secrets does the Lynx Library hold?

Will Golo or Fergus be found?

Will Greta get out of Ireland with her life?

How will Ruan carry on the Legacy of the Lynx?

A gripping adventure story with a couple of brutal murders thrown in, and a real historical background, The Legacy will have you gripped from the start." [Source]


A few days I ago I received a message from author Joe O'Loughlin via GOODREADS.
He told me about his new seafarer adventure novel. From time to time I like to read such kind of books. After reading the description I decided to spend 0.99 EUR Cent for a copy of  Gallagher's Prize (digital, 17th April 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00VSI1XIQ] by Joe O'Loughlin.
"At the beginning of the 19th century, British global military power oppressed, outgunned and eventually invaded the young United States of America during the War of 1812.

How did America prevail against such odds? With ships, guns and the fierce desire for freedom that lived in the hearts of American sailors. Many of these men were not even Americans yet. Some came from Ireland, including Jack Gallagher.

“Gallagher's Prize” begins in southern Ireland when English law breaks up an Irish Catholic family's farmland and a young man longs for the sea. During his many adventures, Jack visits Portsmouth (England), Dublin, Tenerife, Recife, Boston and New Orleans. He learns about square sailing, naval gunnery and ship’s tactics, makes interesting new friends and acquaintances, repairs long-standing enmity with his brother, rescues his family from debt, defeats a powerful and dysfunctional adversary, and experiences sex and love." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Prejudice
The world is still full of them. How often do we think we are much more tolerant and cosmopolitan compared to our ancestors. That is not always true as following article of at History Extra shows.

The Victorians’ surprisingly liberal attitude towards gay men


First female attempt for American presidency
I did not expect that it happened in 1872. There is an enlightening post over at The Virtual Victorian.

THE FIRST WOMAN TO STAND FOR THE PRESIDENCY...


Diligently people
Do you know how many  Avengers:Age of Ultron trailers, clips, featurettes and TV spots have been aired?
You will find the answer over at The Ranting Dragon. Thanks a lot for collecting all the stuff.

All Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailers, Clips, Featurettes, and TV Spots Collected


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Sometimes it needs just a few words to stir millions of people around the world. I pretty sure you l know what I'm talking about.

"Chewie, we're home."

I like episode IV to VI and did not really enjoy episode I to III. Now it seems the real spirit returns with episode VII. We need to wait until Christmas 2015 to see the final result. Even you you find the trailer everywhere I need to post it too.




The next superhero movie is coming soon. It seems to be the proof for the well known sentence:
"Size does not matter."
I must say the first trailer does not look bad....

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The world population is growing but the following quote is still valid ...................


"Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare.

Harriet Martineau, English economist and novelist, 1802 - 1876

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So excited about the next Star Wars now.
Interesting about he first woman who wanted to run for president.
And less than two weeks until the next Avengers movie!!!!

Zoltán Gecse said...

This new SW movie looks very great. I hope it won't be too much disapointment.

The new SW Battlefront trailer was also cool. I have to upgrade my computer to Christmas.

And we get a short (cam) teaser for the Rogue One movie...

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
a lot of people are excited about the next Star Wars film.
I must say I like to have a look into the past especially on topics we never talked about in school - even I went to school a long time ago.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

I hope too that the next Star Wars film won't be a disappointment.

I stopped playing games on computer. I prefer console.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...